Stanley Cup Finals teams all in top ten with Salary Cap problems.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Does the Salary Cap actually work for small market teams? It seems to favor the bigger market teams as long as the Salary Cap keeps rising, is this fair? How can expansion be in the plans of the NHL, except to fill the coffers and keep teams afloat, at least that's what it seems at first glance. Anybody have an opinion or knowledge to the contrary?;)

Last edited:

MauriceTheGreat*

How is it bad for small market teams that big money teams can't spend over a cap?

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
If there wasn't a salary gap, the gap between big market teams and small market teams would be even larger.

The Leafs and the Rangers would be spending 100 millions + a year.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I just took a look at the teams that are circumventing the Salary Cap, that have knocked the Habs out of the playoffs. This was more my point, is it fair that they overextend in the likelihood of the Cap going up, then I suppose if it went down they would trade the star players for draft picks to get under probably, a Win/Win for them, is that fair is my question or am I blowing smoke where there is no fire?

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I just took a look at the teams that are circumventing the Salary Cap, that have knocked the Habs out of the playoffs. This was more my point, is it fair that they overextend in the likelihood of the Cap going up, then I suppose if it went down they would trade the star players for draft picks to get under probably, a Win/Win for them, is that fair is my question or am I blowing smoke where there is no fire?

THIS

Simply because The Habs aren't at a disadvantage. They have the financial means to try the same temporary circumvention crap. It's just a management style over another, within the rules….

pine*

Does the Salary Cap actually work for small market teams? It seems to favor the bigger market teams as long as the Salary Cap keeps rising, is this fair? How can expansion be in the plans of the NHL, except to fill the coffers and keep teams afloat, at least that's what it seems at first glance. Anybody have an opinion or knowledge to the contrary?;)
You have no idea what you are rambling on about.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
[/B]

THIS

Simply because The Habs aren't at a disadvantage. They have the financial means to try the same temporary circumvention crap. It's just a management style over another, within the rules….

The Habs still have to match in US dollars, plus the tax situations differ from Quebec to other Canadian provinces. Not that Canadian teams are the teams using the loopholes that NYR's, LA Kings, Chicago and other major US cities are.:nod:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
THIS

The Habs can't cheat the cap under the new CBA. Gone are the days of Keith's & Hossa's contracts.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
As a Montreal Canadiens fan I hate the cap

I agree.

I don't care if some team owner in Timbuktu doesn't have enough money to both keep his hut warm and his team competitive. I want the Habs to gain every edge they can in the pursuit of the Stanley Cup.

MauriceTheGreat*

I agree.

I don't care if some team owner in Timbuktu doesn't have enough money to both keep his hut warm and his team competitive. I want the Habs to gain every edge they can in the pursuit of the Stanley Cup.

Stanley....... cup.... :scared:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
As a Montreal Canadiens fan I hate the cap

I agree.

As should all Hab fans, but it is a business and as good stewards the owners and players see the Salary Cap being good for all of the franchises. Nothing can ever be ideal, even a sports enterprise like hockey, they can't please all of the fans with only one Stanley Cup to win each year. The Habs are getting much better over the last two yrs. though and that's comforting too know our management team is the best the NHL has, IMHO.:nod:

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
I agree.

I want to buy the Habs to buy the team in Timbuktu, take it's Captain and then fold the team. :p:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Speaking of the cap, we are showing 2.66M in cap space and everyone signed...
There are a couple of teams over, Bruins and Philly, are you guys expcting any deals from those teams to un load a contract or two?

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
There are a couple of teams over, Bruins and Philly, are you guys expcting any deals from those teams to un load a contract or two?

Bruins aren't over. Notice Marc Savard at this point in the season is not on LTIR yet, so his value on capgeek is counted against the cap.

Chicago and TB are in the same boat as Philly

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx

There is no one available, worthwhile spending the money on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad