Series Talk: Stanley Cup Final VGK (West) vs Capitals (East)

Who wins the Stanley Cup, in how many games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Someone on Sportsnet in Canada said the Finals begin on the 28th, so Memorial Day. My guess is they go Mon/Wed/Sat/Mon/Wed or Thu/Sat/Mon. So a few extra days of rest and a couple of Saturday nights for NBC.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Someone on Sportsnet in Canada said the Finals begin on the 28th, so Memorial Day. My guess is they go Mon/Wed/Sat/Mon/Wed or Thu/Sat/Mon. So a few extra days of rest and a couple of Saturday nights for NBC.

Both TB and WAS have conflicts on Sat 6/2. Wouldn't be an issue for TB as that game would be in Vegas, but definitely an issue if Washington wins.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Let's let that sink in.

Stanley. Cup. Final.

First expansion inaugural team who had to earn their way into SCF in their first year.

If TB wins ECF , they have home ice advantage. If Washington wins ECF, Vegas has home ice advantage.

If TB wins in 6 games, guessing Thursday-Saturday start of series.
If TB wins in 7, guessing Saturday start.
Washington wins (in 7), guessing Friday-Sunday start (in VGK).

(TB Amalie Arena has conflict 6/2. WAS Capital One arena has 5/27, 6/2, 6/3 conflicts. VGK T-Mobile has 5/26 conflict.)

I've heard 5/28 Start, next Monday, regardless how ECF plays out. There is no way to corroborate this, of course.

artificialintuition

Nov 21, 2017
A friend mentioned to me ESPN reported Monday, though he also was unwilling to confirm.

I'm still going to bet that it is Friday/Saturday if we see Tampa close it out tonight, and *maybe* still Fri/Sat even if it goes to 7.

While I appreciate the rest for the Knights, I feel like 7 days off is a bit much, although the other team would have 4-6.

I'd like to see the ECF go to 7 and then SCF start 2 days later. :)

artificialintuition

Nov 21, 2017
Gallant said on NHL Network this morning that the series starts next Monday no matter what happens in the ECF.
Check my post here.

I looked at the last 10 years of CF end dates and SCF Game 1s. Short answer: zero times there was a 1 or 2 day gap & zero times it was more than 5 days.

Monday puts it at 7 days if TBL close it out tonight, and 5 days otherwise.

Of course, there's nothing to say they won't do something different than has been done between 2008 & 2017.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I want the Caps just because of home ice. Also think Vas is more capable of stealing some games. Either way it's going to be a tough series.
Same here. Home ice would be huge. And Holtby has his moments, but he can be shaky. Our quick-strike offence might unnerve him. Washington has that choke mentality set in. They just lost three in a row. Hopefully they eke out a 3OT win in Game 7 and come into the Finals with question marks.

VegasKnightlife

Aug 20, 2017
Home ice for the finals would be nice. Either way Knights will play a good team. Glad this series went 7.

Hopefully VGK doesn't get rusty with that long layoff. I doubt it though. Team always seems prepared.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Media day 5/27. So travel 5/26.

I'd expect VGK to red-eye (flying out immediately after game) home, but fly out the following morning to fly east.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Home ice for the finals would be nice. Either way Knights will play a good team. Glad this series went 7.

Hopefully VGK doesn't get rusty with that long layoff. I doubt it though. Team always seems prepared.

I'm sure the rust will fall off after few games.

Whichever team gets to the final, they better have a quick recovery, since a longer series against relentlessly fast and healthy Knights is going to be brutal for bigger and older players.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Keep rolling, guys. Listening to a lot of haters on radio complaining that Vegas "hasn't earned it" or "the fans won't be there in 10 years". How does a team make a Stanley Cup final and not "earn it"?

Vegas as a fan base might not have *earned* it, and most of the fans might not be there in 10 years, but what the Knights have done is simply unbelievable!

The craziest thing is that 10 months ago nobody who actually watched hockey saw this coming.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
It really doesn’t come around that often. Any team that makes it this far is going to attract a bunch of haters, it has nothing to do with the expansion, that’s just the narrative they’ve chosen for you. Tune them out, they just want to rain on your parade.

Savor every moment, the media days, the games, the post games. Stock up on your favorite foods and stuff, make it special, watch the games with people, have fun.

P.S.- Thanks for inviting me to the bandwagon, I’ve had a blast watching the team and seeing how happy they’ve made everyone.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad