Post-Game Talk: Stanley Cup Final, Game 2 (VGK leads FLA 2-0): Panthers head home needing a reset

Do you still believe?

• Yes

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 8 20.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Vegas has been allowed to do essentially whatever they want on the ice.

I try not to complain about officiating too much as there is always hockey to be played but these past 2 games have been a farce. Adin Hill deserves 2-3 minor penalties alone for the shit he's pulled.

It's like the league is actively trying to smother Florida. Panthers need to bounce back because it is literally them vs. the world.
I agree. I also think it’s Becuase Vegas just has layers of big, skilled, and great skaters in their lineup. They are just so aggressive and fast every shift. Florida is more on the “slow” side for sure. We have a couple of burners on defense and that’s it. I think Zito is looking at the comparison this series and has some ideas. I wouldn’t be shocked to see this team pretty different next season.

Yeah yesterdays game was over, the panthers made sure of that early. But you want to let Vegas do whatever and then give the panthers penalties when they scrum it up like cmon lol. Tkachuk’s misconducts were an absolute embarrassment.

It always has been them against everyone. This is the league’s golden goose. Hopefully they fight through this and make it competitive but it’s going to be hard when everyone is being watched like a hawk.

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
Missing Eetu is big but I wouldn’t expect that to be the difference between us being competitive and us getting run over. I’d much rather have him in the lineup but if he’s out I’d still feel like we can play our game most of the time. Even though our forward depth is pretty thin you have 11 other guys to play.

Gudas being out, however, is huge. We have no one to replace him. Fitzgerald looked terrible last night and he played limited time. If Gudas is gone then I think our best hope is that Maurice gambles and gives Carlsson a shot. But throwing in a guy now for the first time all year doesn’t seem like it’ll work out either.

If god mode Bob is gone then I don’t like our chances.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Missing Eetu is big but I wouldn’t expect that to be the difference between us being competitive and us getting run over. I’d much rather have him in the lineup but if he’s out I’d still feel like we can play our game.

Gudas being out is huge. We have no one to replace him. Fitzgerald looked terrible last night and he played limited time. If Gudas is gone then I think our best hope is that Maurice gambles and gives Carlsson a shot. But throwing in a guy now for the first time all year doesn’t seem like it’ll work out either.

If god mode Bob is gone then I don’t like our chances.
I don’t think he’s really gone, but the team is just giving up quality after quality. I don’t think Bob really changed much. The team was just better in front of him and helped him. They completely abandoned him last night.

Reactions: Beezers Mask

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
The officiating has been bad, but I'm not very salty about it because I don't think it's cost Florida anything. After period 1 game 1 they've been outclassed in all aspects. Like I said on the mainboards we sound like loser Leafs/Canes/Bruins fans. Not an excuse for the bad play.

Tampa ultimately didn’t get the job done last year but they lost game one 4-3, lost game two 7-0 (!), then returned home for game three and…won 6-2

One game’s score isn’t predictive of future games. Panthers are even slight betting favorites in game 3 due to home ice advantage
1 win and it's a 180 around here, idk if they can fix the play though. They did after the embarrassing games 3 and 4 vs Boston, they won 11 of 12 they can win 4 of 5. If Radko and Eetu are out there's not much hope but we'll see tomorrow who practices.

DarthRevenue

Jun 5, 2023
I’m not giving up yet.
Me either. I gave up on the team after pomo was hired and Huby was traded. I didn't watch any of the regular season. Last playoffs took a huge toll on me. But this run has sucked me right back in. A team of just a few with star talent and a bunch of borderline nhl'ers found a way to beat some heavily favored teams by wanting it more.

But these first 2 games we look like the team we should be on paper. Especially with bob going back to 4goalski mode.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
To be honest it was to be expected that we come crashing down at some point. We were only better than BOS, TOR and CAR in critical moments, in front of Bob's excellent goaltending, getting almost all bounces. We were never the better team in these POs.

It is sad that it shows this way in the SC. Vegas just is the better team, we don't get the bounces, refs suck a**, and Bob came back down to earth. I have not seen anything that makes me optimistic besides that I know that the mental strength is there to keep things interesting until the end.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
See that's what I have been reflecting on, is this Vegas forcing us or this a coaching decision from Maurice? I actually think this was Maurice's choice but I can't tell for sure. I lean towards the latter.
I don't think it's Vegas. And I don't think it's coaching. I think it's the long layoff. If we were to replace Toronto in the second round with Vegas. The Panthers look much better than this against Vegas. There's nothing a team like this could do to dial it down for 10 days, and then crank it back up to the highest level of hockey that's being played at this time of the year. It took them months to get to the level they were at before the break.
It's not just working hard, it's knowing what to do. And that's not just instruction, it's trial and error.
Maybe they can get back to that level shortly. I don't know. They need to.

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
That game was so bad, I haven't ventured out of our boards or read any articles. I did hear one thing from Flying fluffy that resonated with me. It's so very frustrating to have gained some respect around the league through these playoffs, and to watch it burn down in this manner. If they don't turn it around, getting here will be lost in the embarrassment of not playing competitive hockey when it mattered most. I'd rather lose 2-1 in OT every game than what's currently transpiring. This sucks.

Reactions: scholl

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
That game was so bad, I haven't ventured out of our boards or read any articles. I did hear one thing from Flying fluffy that resonated with me. It's so very frustrating to have gained some respect around the league through these playoffs, and to watch it burn down in this manner. If they don't turn it around, getting here will be lost in the embarrassment of not playing competitive hockey when it mattered most. I'd rather lose 2-1 in OT every game than what's currently transpiring. This sucks.
It felt liked that last year after winning a first round in like forever, jst to be swept afterwards... but we all have to acknowledge that we won 3 (!) rounds this year when nobody expected it. I get your frustration, but this is big for us nonetheless

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
To be honest it was to be expected that we come crashing down at some point. We were only better than BOS, TOR and CAR in critical moments, in front of Bob's excellent goaltending, getting almost all bounces. We were never the better team in these POs.

It is sad that it shows this way in the SC. Vegas just is the better team, we don't get the bounces, refs suck a**, and Bob came back down to earth. I have not seen anything that makes me optimistic besides that I know that the mental strength is there to keep things interesting until the end.

This is 100% spot on.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
It felt liked that last year after winning a first round in like forever, jst to be swept afterwards... but we all have to acknowledge that we won 3 (!) rounds this year when nobody expected it. I get your frustration, but this is big for us nonetheless
Also, we have yet to win a Finals game. We don't want that to become a legacy. If you're gonna lose, at least take one then bow out.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
The officiating has been bad, but I'm not very salty about it because I don't think it's cost Florida anything. After period 1 game 1 they've been outclassed in all aspects. Like I said on the mainboards we sound like loser Leafs/Canes/Bruins fans. Not an excuse for the bad play.

1 win and it's a 180 around here, idk if they can fix the play though. They did after the embarrassing games 3 and 4 vs Boston, they won 11 of 12 they can win 4 of 5. If Radko and Eetu are out there's not much hope but we'll see tomorrow who practices.
Exactly. The officiating whining is so cringe inducing.

Always wary of teams that rely on astonishingly great goalie play. Never lasts.

Not over yet.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
we're at a point now, 2 games into the series, where VGK D (5-man unit) has established dominance and we haven't inflicted any pain. we simply have not had success with the forecheck because we have no speed and we have no speed because we are being hemmed in and cannot get quick transition. we were getting in on other team's D because we were able to exit our zone (controlled or not) consistently.

after 2 games, I think we can see that's going to be tough to reverse. we don't look comfortable with the puck, we don't look confident in our reads at either end of the ice. we aren't winning enough races or battles and aren't managing the puck very well. (it sounds dire because it is.)

I think we need to be a little smarter when deciding when commit aggressively to a forecheck. not necessarily a passive trap but a soft(er) 1-2-2 unless we have some speed and get the puck to a winnable area. just pick your spots a little more. make them go 200ft against a forecheck instead of getting easy exits and entries because our Fs are peeling themselves off the end boards after trying to run someone. play smarter and more consistently on the defensive side of the puck.

going balls to the wall could be like .. flailing in quicksand - we're only going to sink faster. VGK have been doing this to every other team. now we're seeing it up close. I don't think there's any chance at changing the dynamic without a change in our approach. maybe the team is fine failing with their identity but I say who knows when we'll be back - I'd rather try something a little different here.

I'm not disputing that Vegas has been the better team, but Panthers haven't been able to establish their game and rhythm.

Take Game 1, they started out really well and Panthers were the better team. Goal mouth scramble, a bunch of back and forth, and only Cousins goes into the box. That already starts changing the rhythm. Then add basically a weird phantom call on Mahura that leads to the VGK goal and they're going "wtf". And its not like Mahura did anything we haven't seen done countless other times by both teams. Vegas won period 3 and Tkachuk/Bennett did dumb stuff. So yeah, Vegas was the better team, but the whole rhythm of how the game started was changed.

Game 2 is the same, they started ok, then Lomberg gets called for something we've seen let go many times while Barbashev gets nothing with Gudas gone. Then Monty gets another one of those weird penalties, which also made no sense because play kept on going and then refs decided to call it for some reason. Vegas exits the period up 2-0.

So yes, Vegas has been the better team. They've capitalized on their chances. Been better defensively. Hill has played well. Not disputing any of that. Not even saying the refs have been biased, just that they've been inconsistent and calling it different this series which has screwed with the Panthers way of playing. And now we're down Luostar and Gudas, its a tough hill to climb with all that.

Now we go into Game 3. There's a certain way we have to play to be successful. Will that be allowed? I have no idea and the Panthers probably don't know either. If this won't be called like all other Cup Finals and the rest of the Playoffs have been called, I don't like our chances. Its technically correct, but it's also incredibly frustrating. If I'm any of the teams we eliminated, I'd be pissed too because we got away with way more the other series.

Exactly. The officiating whining is so cringe inducing.

Always wary of teams that rely on astonishingly great goalie play. Never lasts.

Not over yet.

Call me whining or complaining, I don't care. Games are just being called differently and its pretty clear to not just whiny Panther fans. I'm not even saying its biased, its just inconsistent and not being called the same.

Maybe I shouldn't complain because how the games have been called has helped us get to the Cup Final, but its frustrating to let Panthers develop and win with a certain play style and now they break out the rule book.

CanePanther

Jan 4, 2022
I don't think it's Vegas. And I don't think it's coaching. I think it's the long layoff. If we were to replace Toronto in the second round with Vegas. The Panthers look much better than this against Vegas. There's nothing a team like this could do to dial it down for 10 days, and then crank it back up to the highest level of hockey that's being played at this time of the year. It took them months to get to the level they were at before the break.
It's not just working hard, it's knowing what to do. And that's not just instruction, it's trial and error.
Maybe they can get back to that level shortly. I don't know. They need to.
It’s Vegas they by far are the best team in the NHL.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008

I dunno. I think on paper this team didn't stack up to any team, but they had to win 4 games to advance and they did.
It's not like it's the NFL where one game decides who advances where a few fluke plays can ruin the "better" team from winning.

Toronto had the big 4, then nothing. Florida did a good job eliminating their chances and only Nylander did anything against us. Sure, they had some bad post luck, but it's not like they had tons of better scoring chances, outside of when Maurice played the turtle game in the 3rd.

Carolina had injuries take out a few good players but that's just the NHL. It's rare to be 100% healthy. It was a great battle between 3 great goalies.

I think the only series the other team blew was Boston and that was a mix of the coach/Ullmark playing injured and their sloppy turnovers which the Panthers took advantage of.

The game does change in the playoffs and the Panthers took advantage of that in the East.
Would they win those series 10 out of 10 times? Nope, but to me it's not like they won purely on luck/bounces. Panthers in the first 3 series could turn it on when needed(game 5+ in the Boston series). They would go into a shell to hold onto games but when the other team scored they could wake up again.

They can't do that vs Vegas.

They could bully other teams. They can't bully Vegas.

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
Game 2 is the same, they started ok, then Lomberg gets called for something we've seen let go many times while Barbashev gets nothing with Gudas gone. Then Monty gets another one of those weird penalties, which also made no sense because play kept on going and then refs decided to call it for some reason. Vegas exits the period up 2-0.

Both were legit penalties. Lomberg hit the guy too high. One can use the stick for crosschecking but it needs to happen towards middle of the body, not near the head.
Montour was 3rd man coming to the situation. Just a stupid decision from him.
Florida also had PP with amazing chances in that 1st period but didn't put the puck in the net.

Reactions: Boothinator

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Both were legit penalties. Lomberg hit the guy too high. One can use the stick for crosschecking but it needs to happen towards middle of the body, not near the head.
Montour was 3rd man coming to the situation. Just a stupid decision from him.
Florida also had PP with amazing chances in that 1st period but didn't put the puck in the net.

Nobody is arguing they are not legit penalties according to the rule book. A lot of things are legit penalties if the rule book is called as written all the time. There would be a constant stream to the box if everything was called. Except its not always called as written, there is a lot of interpretation depending on the time of year, time of the game, the game state, etc. and that's my point.

The calling of infractions was super loose through the first three rounds and all of a sudden tightened up in the final. And don't tell me that those were the only two legit penalties. I'm not even saying its biased, just that is stupidly inconsistent and that is going to be more detrimental to the Panthers given how they like to play and have been successful.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Playing style?

Since the puck drop of game 1 the Panthers have not played their style of hockey. No dump and chase. No boxing out the opponent. No forcing perimeter shots. They need to get back to what got them here. As far as the forecheck it has been there inconsistently. I noticed it coming back when Vegas went up 3-0. Prior to it wasn't there at all. They need to get back to their playing style. At the moment they look more like last years's Panther team. Quite a bit of up and down hockey on the rush hockey being played. I suppose it's exciting for casual fans but that's not how we got here...

It just doesn't work if opposite team is playing same game but better/with better material. Its really toss up but that little help what vegas is getting from the league seems to decide the series.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad