Stanley Cup Center of Gravity

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
As a followup article for someone with way more spare time than I... should go through the rosters of the winning teams and plot the center of gravity based on the birthplaces of the players as opposed to the team cities... :)

That would actually be a rather interesting shift to watch I think.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
I agree - that'd be very cool, and probably pretty easy for someone who's facile with Google.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
As a followup article for someone with way more spare time than I... should go through the rosters of the winning teams and plot the center of gravity based on the birthplaces of the players as opposed to the team cities... :)

That would actually be a rather interesting shift to watch I think.

That's actually what I thought it was about...

I'm still fuzzy on what the graphic actually represents...
For example, if they started with Vancouver in1915. Wouldnt the dots start there and then track centrally? Anyways..

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
When I read the thread title I literally thought this was about where the center of gravity (as in center of mass) of the physical Stanley Cup trophy lied and I wondered what odd topics those fellows on the Numbers section like to debate. :laugh:

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
That's actually what I thought it was about...

I'm still fuzzy on what the graphic actually represents...
For example, if they started with Vancouver in1915. Wouldnt the dots start there and then track centrally? Anyways..

Yeah but it looks like they start the average in 1968. Probably because the average flies around pretty crazily in the first 10-20 years since there are so few points.

By the way, my first post here. This forum looks great. I think the folks in the Islanders forum are sick of my Corsi graphs. Now I can inflict them on you! :laugh:

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
By the way, my first post here. This forum looks great. I think the folks in the Islanders forum are sick of my Corsi graphs. Now I can inflict them on you! :laugh:

Sweet - looking to having you on board!

I agree, by the way - I spent probably 15 minutes on the site looking for something that had the full "center of gravity" exhibit, since it appears that this starts in 1968.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad