Stanley Cup Ad Campaign

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
New York Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist, Nashville Predators forward Paul Kariya and Tampa Bay Lightning forward Martin St. Louis are among the National Hockey League players who will be featured in a new marketing advertising campaign that will celebrate the start of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Players from each of the 16 playoff-bound teams will appear in the “My Stanley Cup†ads, which will debut during the April 8 NHL on NBC broadcast and will be shown throughout the United States and Canada, including primetime programming on NBC and cable networks.
“The NHL has always done a great job in depicting the excitement of our game,†said St. Louis, who played a key role in the Lightning’s 2004 Stanley Cup Championship. “Having NHL players in these promos will give fans insight into what it really means to compete for the Cup.â€

Seems like an odd choice, as he's never played a second of NHL playoff hockey.

Overall a great idea though.

HOF

Apr 1, 2006
16 playoff-bound teams? Debut April 8th? The 16 teams are not even all known yet. In the East they are, but not in the West. Maybe they will have West players later on?

I read Anson Carter and Jovo are going to be in there? They might not even male the playoffs? :dunno:

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
Damn you Lou Lamoriello and you're stinginess. Who better than a guy like Marty Brodeur to be in this.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Puck_Nut said:
16 playoff-bound teams? Debut April 8th? The 16 teams are not even all known yet. In the East they are, but not in the West. Maybe they will have West players later on?

I read Anson Carter and Jovo are going to be in there? They might not even male the playoffs? :dunno:
The can get film on all the possible guys right now, just show the sure things now, edit more in later. It sounds like there will be more than one. That's my guess anyway.

I am Jack's Fish

Evil Genius said:
Great. I don't know what the NHL was thinking with those corny ads featuring fake teams and players.

You do realize that the amount of time the NHL had to put together an ad campaign once the lockout ended and the season started was essentially nothing, right?

Players were busy getting back to their teams from all over the globe, there would be now way possible for the NHL to get any guys commit to taking the necessary week or weeks to film an extensive ad campaign.

Transported Upstater

Dolemite said:
It's a start in the right direction. At least they don't have anymore of those lame *** Kristi Yamaguchi commercials. With all due respect to everything she has accomplished in her Olympic career, she made me not want to watch the Playoffs.

Post of the day. :biglaugh:

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Players from each of the 16 playoff-bound teams will appear in the “My Stanley Cup†ads, which will debut during the April 8 NHL on NBC broadcast and will be shown throughout the United States and Canada, including primetime programming on NBC and cable networks.

Right there is probably the most important thing they are doing. Along with using real players, the fact that these will be airing during prime-time, non-hockey programming is huge.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
Yeah, I'm sure everyone watching a Saturday night "Conviction" repeat will like that promo.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Stevedude530 said:
Yeah, I'm sure everyone watching a Saturday night "Conviction" repeat will like that promo.

That's not the point. Everyone doesn't have to like it. As long as some do, and decide to watch, that's the point.

PACaptain

Jul 4, 2005
Road to the Repeat
I got chills when Jack Bauer....er.....Kiefer Sutherland says "You will not deny me of what is rightfully mine" or something like that. The playoffs this year should be great.

daikan

(╯︵╰,)
Oct 28, 2005
Berlin
bcrt2000 said:
These ads are much better, but they should have gotten Jagr in on it.

From the article:
Other NHL stars featured in the campaign include Rangers forward Jaromir Jagr, Flyers forward Peter Forsberg, Canucks forward Anson Carter and Red Wings defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom, among others.

Easton

Aug 7, 2005
These ads are so freakin' corny. I'm embarassed to be a hockey fan when I see these ads. I hate this whole "warrior" theme they're going with. And c'mon, Lundquist??? Kiefer Sutherland makes it even more laughable.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
First of all, don't **** with Kiefer. Never, ever, **** with Kiefer.

Howie Mandel, yeah, you can **** with. He narrates the third one. John Cusack will be narrating the 4th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad