Stanley Cup 2016 prediction

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
I'm not going to predict but I'll be surprised if Chicago is back in it. Especially if their is anything to the Kane allegations

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I'm betting they miss the playoffs again. Too much turmoil around that team now.

Agreed. Most of these prediction threads suffer from a failure of imagination. Our predictions for the future are usually just repetitions of what happened in the immediate past. I think both LA and Chicago are done as elite contenders. Chicago already took a hit before the Kane incident; his drama could make it even worse for them.

We're due for the next wave of contenders. Get ready for Washington, Tampa, Columbus, Anaheim, St Louis, maybe even my Habs.

For next season I'd bet against Tampa making it back to the SCF (sorry - it's extremely rare for the same team to repeat), but provided Bishop is healthy or Vasilevskiy steps up, I see them among the elite and winning the Cup within the next two/three seasons.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Agreed. Most of these prediction threads suffer from a failure of imagination. Our predictions for the future are usually just repetitions of what happened in the immediate past. I think both LA and Chicago are done as elite contenders. Chicago already took a hit before the Kane incident; his drama could make it even worse for them.

We're due for the next wave of contenders. Get ready for Washington, Tampa, Columbus, Anaheim, St Louis, maybe even my Habs.

For next season I'd bet against Tampa making it back to the SCF (sorry - it's extremely rare for the same team to repeat), but provided Bishop is healthy or Vasilevskiy steps up, I see them among the elite and winning the Cup within the next two/three seasons.

The top of the East is pretty tight, although I will say I think we're going to be a better team than last our. Our only player who appears to be on a major decline is Carle, and we have two or three eager replacements for him. The rest of our players are on the upswing. Stamkos can't possibly be worse than last year (knock on wood) and Drouin looks set to explode if/when Cooper takes him off the leash. And, IMHO, we haven't seen the best of Anton Stralman.

Those are reasons for us to be positive. On the other side, Bishop's health is always a concern, and, I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't think Vasilevskiy is close. I think it was a mistake to forego a solid backup, leaving us vulnerable again, while Vasi could/should have been getting reps in the AHL. (I still think Drouin is about a coinflip for the NHL this year too.)

Meanwhile, CBJ looks like an undercover powerhouse, I don't think the Rangers are going anywhere, and Carey Price is Carey Price. So it's tight. I think, on paper, we have the best team in the East, but we're still very young and we saw last year how we struggled vs. good coaching.

I don't know what to think about Chicago. They look like they've taken a step back, but certain teams just know how to win. That said, over the past few years, the theories about all those extra playoff games adding up on teams, year after year, appear to be legit.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
The Kings loaded up way more than the Hawks have thus far (pending Panarin's success).

I really don't get how short-sighted people are about CBJ. They were supposed to be for real this last season, but lost an absurd amount of games to injury to their Vezina goaltender and a bunch of top-6ers IIRC. To my knowledge, they still don't have much in the way of defense which, for me, begs the question: can the rest of the Metro get past the defense-goaltending tandems of the Rangers and the Caps?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
This next season is going to be BR00TAL I'm just hoping the Lightning squeak their way in. The entire configuration of the schedule damns (because I can't think of a better word) us the entire way to not only get our act together but keep it together. There is very little room for error for us

First month alone

@ Predators -playoff team
@ Jets- playoff team
@ Blackhawks- champs
@ Blues- playoff team and perennial contender
Avalanche- rebuilding back into a playoff team
Bruins- *******s

That is NOT gonna be easy. 3-2 record maybe? That only gets you so far in the standings

November to December

Rangers - ECF finalist
Ducks - WCF finalist
Kings - 2 time champs
@ Capitals - playoff team
Islanders - playoff team
@Ducks- WCF finalist
@Sharks- rebuilding team but we can't ever beat them at the tank
@Kings- 2 time champs
Sens- playoff team
Capitals- playoff team
Jackets- Oh HELL no

When will the Lightning going to have a chance to breathe here? We are running the gauntlet night in and night out.

If we fall into a funk we're toast.

I can't even think about a Cup right now. I expect one sure, but getting there is gonna be one hell of a accomplishment with the way our year has been set up.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
This next season is going to be BR00TAL I'm just hoping the Lightning squeak their way in. The entire configuration of the schedule damns (because I can't think of a better word) us the entire way to not only get our act together but keep it together. There is very little room for error for us

First month alone

@ Predators -playoff team
@ Jets- playoff team
@ Blackhawks- champs
@ Blues- playoff team and perennial contender
Avalanche- rebuilding back into a playoff team
Bruins- *******s

That is NOT gonna be easy. 3-2 record maybe? That only gets you so far in the standings

November to December

Rangers - ECF finalist
Ducks - WCF finalist
Kings - 2 time champs
@ Capitals - playoff team
Islanders - playoff team
@Ducks- WCF finalist
@Sharks- rebuilding team but we can't ever beat them at the tank
@Kings- 2 time champs
Sens- playoff team
Capitals- playoff team
Jackets- Oh HELL no

When will the Lightning going to have a chance to breathe here? We are running the gauntlet night in and night out.

If we fall into a funk we're toast.

I can't even think about a Cup right now. I expect one sure, but getting there is gonna be one hell of a accomplishment with the way our year has been set up.

Everyone plays the same teams. No excuses.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Thinking it'll be us vs LA or Anaheim in the finals, wih the cup coming back to TB!

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
We sweep our way through Montreal, Detroit and Columbus and then lose in the Finals in 6 games to the MonStars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad