Standings question

Analyzer*

Happy Boxing Day everyone. When you look at conference standings, we're ahead of the Islanders (2nd and 3rd respectively). Nevertheless, when you look at the league standings, the Islanders are ahead of us (5th and 6th respectively). Is there a rule that gets overridden when the standings are league-wide? Maybe Games Played instead of who won when the two teams faced each other? Cheers!

Conference goes by regulation wins as a tie breaker.

League goes just by points/possibility of points.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Thanks! I didn't find this being documented, but I guess league standings are less formal since it's not THAT useful.

Nah, it's just TSN being less formal (Their conference standing is wrong).

The official tie breaker are:

1.The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).

2.The greater number of games won, excluding games won in the Shootout. This figure is reflected in the ROW column.

3.The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.

4.The greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season. NOTE: In standings a victory in a shootout counts as one goal for, while a shootout loss counts as one goal against.

Peter Puck

Sep 10, 2005
Nah, it's just TSN being less formal (Their conference standing is wrong).

The official tie breaker are:

1.The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).

2.The greater number of games won, excluding games won in the Shootout. This figure is reflected in the ROW column.

3.The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.

4.The greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season. NOTE: In standings a victory in a shootout counts as one goal for, while a shootout loss counts as one goal against.

The two division leaders are 1 and 2 in the conference standings so we should be listed ahead of NYI in the conference standings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad