Stan Kroenke joins real estate group building NHL/NBA quality arena in San Diego

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I could see that, but we all know there's like one step for Arizona and Atlanta (arena deals done) and one step for Houston (Feritta pulling the trigger) and one step for Quebec (PKP adding a partner so there's enough money to buy the team).

San Diego and almost anyone else we can think of have 2 steps or 3 steps. San Diego is trying to build an arena, but not trying to own a team, because the Kroenkes already have one. They need an arena AND an owner. (Or an arena AND a buyer for the Avalanche, but that seems unlikely).
I don't think Quebec is anything more than an emergency relocation site.

If SD isn't realistic then Ontario 2.0 is the 4th, but I think selling the avs would be much easier to do if there is an acknowledgement from the league (privately) that sd would get a team.

This isn't all going to happen within the same 2 years or whatever, so the fact each option is on a different schedule is a plus bc they need those factors that create timeline separation.

Reactions: Bucky_Hoyt

Bucky_Hoyt

Dec 11, 2005
Singapore
If this is some sort of idea that Anaheim would relocate to San Diego for some reason, that shows extremely poor (to no) understanding of the current situation in Anaheim.
It's an expression.

But I will be clear that I am of the view that NO TEAM is truly 'safe' in the North American franchise model. A new owner could step in to pull a team out of a market if they pay enough. Regardless of any arena deals, pledges to stay, etc., money talks. Stan and his Walmart family ties have lots of bucks.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
It's an expression.

But I will be clear that I am of the view that NO TEAM is truly 'safe' in the North American franchise model. A new owner could step in to pull a team out of a market if they pay enough. Regardless of any arena deals, pledges to stay, etc., money talks. Stan and his Walmart family ties have lots of bucks.
Anaheim owns the arena they play in, are tied until Honda Center until about 2048 at a minimum IIRC (and there are multiple 5 year options to be exercised after that). Secondly, Anaheim's owners are spending billions on the OCVIBE development around the arena. Anaheim is as safe as any team in the NHL.

Bucky_Hoyt

Dec 11, 2005
Singapore
Anaheim owns the arena they play in, are tied until Honda Center until about 2048 at a minimum IIRC (and there are multiple 5 year options to be exercised after that). Secondly, Anaheim's owners are spending billions on the OCVIBE development around the arena. Anaheim is as safe as any team in the NHL.
Good on 'em and same for any and all teams in the league. Eventually one team won't be and that's when we'll see movement.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The main thing SD would have in its favour is location in the Pacific time zone. Cause, if we get to 36 teams, they'd likely got
Van, Sea, Cal, Edm, Utah, Col, SJ, LA, Ana, LV, AZ in the PST and MST time zones and need 1 more to get to 12 to have 2 divisions of 6. (thus it likely is down to Por or SD for that spot). Otherwise, one of STL, Win, Min would have to play in one of those divisions. If TX has 2 teams they won't pull 1 of them out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad