Confirmed with Link: Stan Kroenke has submitted a proposal to redevelop 55 acres of parking lots outside Ball Arena

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Sadly, this article is protected behind a paywall, and I'm not going to pay $15 just to read it. If anyone here does have a sub and can summarize that would be great.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Wow that looks extremely nice compared to the amount of parking space that there's now. The problem for Kroenke and his Rhode Islande size mansion in Texas, is that park will be flooded with the homeless like every park in Denver is.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Huh. Interesting.

But...what about Elitch's? Are they moving again? I worked there in the intervening years during the first move and let me tell you, behind the scenes it was an utter disaster. They fired EVERYONE after the first year at the new park. And not a bunch of scrubs, it was all the high-ranking well-to-dos.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Huh. Interesting.

But...what about Elitch's? Are they moving again? I worked there in the intervening years during the first move and let me tell you, behind the scenes it was an utter disaster. They fired EVERYONE after the first year at the new park. And not a bunch of scrubs, it was all the high-ranking well-to-dos.

Revesco Properties bought the land where Elitch’s sits in 2015 and received approval from the city to turn it into the River Mile development. The company has vowed to keep Elitch’s open, but it’s unclear exactly when the downtown location will close or where it will move.

Rhys Duggan, president and CEO of Revesco, didn’t reveal much more about a potential move when reached for comment. “I don’t have a crystal ball,” he says. But he did confirm that the initial timeline—that Elitch’s could relocate by 2025—is still a sound projection. And he said that his team is already looking for a new site to build the third iteration of Elitch Gardens. It’s possible the park could stay within the city limits. “We’re looking at a number of sites right now,” he says. “All are obviously in the metro [area] but they’re located in different jurisdictions, Denver being one of them.”

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Whoa. Interesting.

Here's the thing--when they first built Elitch's there, it was on top of an old railyard, they even incorporated one of the old roundhouses and a car and turned them into a restaurant. It was a really cool idea. One of the few ideas that worked, most everything else was a disaster.

But the downside of building on that was that the soil was really contaminated after decades of use by the rail companies, so Elitch's couldn't transplant trees to the new site. Which was a huge, huge downgrade scenery-wise because the old site on Tennyson had beautiful green spaces that had been there for over a century. So they came to the conclusion that they had to build all these artificial shade structures throughout the park. It looked as tacky and cheap as you might imagine. That along with a ton of other issues really torpedoed that first, utterly chaotic year. I got stories, believe me.

I was told at the time that you could plant young trees there and somehow they'd adapt (I don't know, I'm not exactly a horticulture expert, and holy shit there was NO WAY I was gonna work in that department, those jobs sucked) and they'd adapt, but bringing greenery in en masse was out of the question. I don't know if, 20-plus years later, the contamination has been taken care of, but that could be an issue going forward with this particular project.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Whoa. Interesting.

Here's the thing--when they first built Elitch's there, it was on top of an old railyard, they even incorporated one of the old roundhouses and a car and turned them into a restaurant. It was a really cool idea. One of the few ideas that worked, most everything else was a disaster.

But the downside of building on that was that the soil was really contaminated after decades of use by the rail companies, so Elitch's couldn't transplant trees to the new site. Which was a huge, huge downgrade scenery-wise because the old site on Tennyson had beautiful green spaces that had been there for over a century. So they came to the conclusion that they had to build all these artificial shade structures throughout the park. It looked as tacky and cheap as you might imagine. That along with a ton of other issues really torpedoed that first, utterly chaotic year. I got stories, believe me.

I was told at the time that you could plant young trees there and somehow they'd adapt (I don't know, I'm not exactly a horticulture expert, and holy shit there was NO WAY I was gonna work in that department, those jobs sucked) and they'd adapt, but bringing greenery in en masse was out of the question. I don't know if, 20-plus years later, the contamination has been taken care of, but that could be an issue going forward with this particular project.
Spare no expense Stan...astro-turf the shit out of that place.

Reactions: Pokecheque

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Well beats telling us about his redevelopment plans including a new arena in Commerce City.

Reactions: madman

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
If this doesn't include plans for a practice rink, it tells you everything you need to know (and already knew?) about how Stan and Josh view the Avs in the KSE hierarchy. Meanwhile, the Nuggets locker room is probably already being remodeled for the fourth time in a decade.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I’m gonna pull my old man trousers up to my nipples here and complain that if there’s no more parking available for games, I’m probably avoiding this new arena like the plague.

not only will they probably charge more for tickets but now I’ll need to chalk up like $20 to pack into a light rail train that can’t hold everyone and takes 60 mins to get me 20 mins down the road. Awesome. A “better fan experience”!

Last edited:

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Cool, howabout you redevelop your hockey team's practice facility first you rich old bastard

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Huh. Interesting.

That property in C City next to the Dick would be my guess. C City still maintains shithole status.
Post automatically merged:

I’m gonna pull my old man trousers up to my nipples here and complain that if there’s no more parking available for games, I’m probably avoiding this new arena like the plague.

not only will they probably charge more for tickets but now I’ll need to chalk up like $20 to pack into a light rail train that can’t hold everyone and takes 60 mins to get me 20 mins down the road. Awesome. A “better fan experience”!
Walk your lazy ass from Metro’s lots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad