Stan Fischler's latest lockout items

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
These are courtesy of the MSG SportsDesk from last night.The anchor John Giannone reported two bits of info which Fischler phoned in

1)An anonymous player told uncle Stan that a vote taken among a group/several of players on Wednesday(yesterday)showed that group of NHL players would accept a cap

2)A NHL GM told uncle Stan that he(GM) was told to stand by his phone for a development within the next 24 hours

Lanny MacDonald*

For some reason that has me feeling positive about things today. I think that there might be something a foot. Modano's comments, Modano's quick retraction, Commodore and Dagenais comments, etc. may support the stance that the players are about to accept a cap with concessions. We will see. I suspect we will have some sort of communication from the league before the weekend. At least we can hope.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Iconoclast said:
For some reason that has me feeling positive about things today. I think that there might be something a foot. Modano's comments, Modano's quick retraction, Commodore and Dagenais comments, etc. may support the stance that the players are about to accept a cap with concessions. We will see. I suspect we will have some sort of communication from the league before the weekend. At least we can hope.

John Davidson was on WFAN yesterday.He thinks January 22/23 is key.36 game season

http://wfan.com/chrismikeaudio/

second interview on the list

wint

Jun 10, 2002
Inside
Visit site
I spoke with Stan Fischler 2 days ago, and he said he really believed the season was over as of last summer. He also said "The players are crazy."

More relevantly, be believes that even if the players tried to have some sort of vote, Goodenow wouldn't let them. He has won CBA talks in the past, and is therefore out to win again. He also mentioned that Alfredsson, Linden, etc. wouldn't be the catalysts to form a consensus among players to force Goodenow to make a deal, simply because their pockets are deeper than most, and the lockout isn't affecting them the same way it is affecting the rank and file.

Again, this conversation happened before the phone calls he received from players, so maybe he is a little more hopeful now.

Sammy*

RangerBoy said:
These are courtesy of the MSG SportsDesk from last night.The anchor John Giannone reported two bits of info which Fischler phoned in

1)An anonymous player told uncle Stan that a vote taken among a group/several of players on Wednesday(yesterday)showed that group of NHL players would accept a cap

2)A NHL GM told uncle Stan that he(GM) was told to stand by his phone for a development within the next 24 hours
Well, I am an owner supporter but also know that the NHLPA apologists will argue of course there is a "group" when you have 900 or so members, its just that this group is about 10 guys.
Common sense of course tells one otherewise

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Sammy said:
Well, I am an owner supporter but also know that the NHLPA apologists will argue of course there is a "group" when you have 900 or so members, its just that this group is about 10 guys.

I'm more pro NHLPA than most, but I certainly don' think it's 650 - 50. Just like I don't believe that the owners are 28 - 2.

Lanny MacDonald*

Sammy said:

Yet with the owners, the NHLPA sycophants will lead you to believe that there is a large segement (30-40%) of owners who want to break away from the others. Doesn't make sense when you say one thing and expect the other.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Fischler believes a significant percentage of the players would vote in favor of the league offer a hard cap if it were put to a secret ballot, but Goodenow would never go for that. When the player in question was asked why he didn't step forward and go public with his feelings and those of his teammates about favoring a cap, the player replied, "I don't want to be the first one to do it."

There's no question that the season is nearly dead, but that does not mean that a dialogue could not be established. The Maven believes that the league will improve on its last offer -- perhaps increasing the salary cap closer to the $40 million range. However the league steadfastly will not bend its firm cost-certainty principals.

What we can expect is more players becoming antsy as the weeks go by without them receiving a paycheck.

http://www.msgnetwork.com/content_n...ticle&sports=ice-hockey&team=other&league=nhl

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
PepNCheese said:
But it's already 38.6 million. :dunno:

It's $38.6M for player costs (including insurance, etc). I think it will settle with a $32M-$40M range player salaries (and not costs).

This would seem a good deal for both the PA and the owners.

Evil Sather

YOU KILL THE JOE
Jun 27, 2003
YOU MAKE SOME MO
Visit site
Know how many teams are over $40 million? Anaheim, Boston, Detroit, Colorado, Dallas, Montreal, New Jersey, Rangers, Islanders, Senators, Phoenix, St. Louis, Toronto, Vancouver. 14 of 30 teams, nearly half the league. Right now. Nearly every major market. Hell, some of them (Rangers) don't even have an entire roster. A cap if it happens, would have to be phased in gradually, over maybe 5 years -- no other way to do it, unless we just rip up everyones contracts and make everyone UFA.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Evil Sather said:
Know how many teams are over $40 million? Anaheim, Boston, Detroit, Colorado, Dallas, Montreal, New Jersey, Rangers, Islanders, Senators, Phoenix, St. Louis, Toronto, Vancouver. 14 of 30 teams, nearly half the league. Right now. Nearly every major market. Hell, some of them (Rangers) don't even have an entire roster. A cap if it happens, would have to be phased in gradually, over maybe 5 years -- no other way to do it, unless we just rip up everyones contracts and make everyone UFA.

You might be right, and I don't pretend to know what will happen, but I've got to disagree with you.

I don't know that it would be too hard. Bear in mind that there will be a big salary cut from players, I would expect at least 20%. I don't have the exact numbers, but I would expect this would greatly reduce the number of teams over a cap (Boston, Montreal, New Jersey, Islanders, Sens, Phoenix, Vancouver would certainly drop off the list). Combined with this, there will also be a floor to salaries, so I expect that teams like the Pens, Nashville, and Minnesota would have to increase salaries by quite a bit. I would imagine that a few trades from Detroit, Colorado, Dallas, the Rangers and Toronto to those lower tier teams would sort things out.

Apparently Bettman told all teams a number of years ago that there would be no grace period after the new CBA. I don't know how much sympathy he'll have for the teams that did not listen to him.

amazingcrwns

drop the puck
Feb 13, 2003
Western MA
Visit site
On a similar note, I don't believe Boston is over the cap right now with several players leaving to free agency over the summer. They would have been over a $40 million salary cap at the end of the season yes, but they've lost Knuble, Rolston, Nylander, Murray and a few others to free agency. There roster has holes and it would be tough to fill them and still be under a $40 million cap at the current cost of players but if the season started tomorrow and no players were added other than players from the farm club I'm pretty sure the B's would be under $40 million

I'm not sure about the rest of the teams but I'm sure that there are a few more that were over 40 million but are under now with holes to fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad