Confirmed with Link: Stalberg to Canes - 1 year 1.5

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Even if he does, I still don't think they are a playoff team :laugh:

I think there are two factors that play into whether or not Edmoton will be markedly better.

1. Health - none of their 3 superstars up to this point have been healthy. Throw in Klefbom and they've not iced the best team that their roster should have allowed.
2. Draisaitl's progression - ultimately they've got 2 1/2 centers right now until Draisaitl proves that last year wasn't a fluke. Even so, some think RNH is better suited at wing, so there's an interesting adjustment period that could put them in a similar position to what the Canes were in last season. They've got a reasonable Top 4 on defense now with Larsson there. Plus they've got 5 very good forwards. It is yet to be seen if they can fill out the remaining team adequately to make any sort of playoff bubble run.

So while I wouldn't count them out, I suspect they've still got some growing pains to go through.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I think there are two factors that play into whether or not Edmoton will be markedly better.

1. Health - none of their 3 superstars up to this point have been healthy. Throw in Klefbom and they've not iced the best team that their roster should have allowed.
2. Draisaitl's progression - ultimately they've got 2 1/2 centers right now until Draisaitl proves that last year wasn't a fluke. Even so, some think RNH is better suited at wing, so there's an interesting adjustment period that could put them in a similar position to what the Canes were in last season. They've got a reasonable Top 4 on defense now with Larsson there. Plus they've got 5 very good forwards. It is yet to be seen if they can fill out the remaining team adequately to make any sort of playoff bubble run.

So while I wouldn't count them out, I suspect they've still got some growing pains to go through.

they will be better than toronto, but i do not think they will progress much if at all. while larsson vastly improves their inept defense, lucic over hall is a big downgrade at forward

i think saying "growing pains" is putting it lightly

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Thing to me is that, even with marked improvement, they're still nowhere near a playoff team. Even 20 points better is still out of the playoffs every year but last year in the West. And even a healthy McDavid doesn't make them magically 10 wins better. 12-15 points MAYBE. Which is still out of the playoffs every year. And out significantly most years.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Thing to me is that, even with marked improvement, they're still nowhere near a playoff team. Even 20 points better is still out of the playoffs every year but last year in the West. And even a healthy McDavid doesn't make them magically 10 wins better. 12-15 points MAYBE. Which is still out of the playoffs every year. And out significantly most years.

Yeah, my point was that they could look like a team that could make some noise and over-achieve. Maybe being a playoff bubble team is a bit aggressive, but they are getting some pieces. I agree with whomever said that Buffalo is closer.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yeah, my point was that they could look like a team that could make some noise and over-achieve. Maybe being a playoff bubble team is a bit aggressive, but they are getting some pieces. I agree with whomever said that Buffalo is closer.

Yep.

And I don't think Buffalo's there either. The one thing both have going for them is weak divisions, it IS possible that someone pulls a Habs or 2015 Kings in either one, but I wouldn't count on it.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
they will be better than toronto, but i do not think they will progress much if at all. while larsson vastly improves their inept defense, lucic over hall is a big downgrade at forward

i think saying "growing pains" is putting it lightly

Last three seasons, Hall has 67 goals, Lucic 62. Hall has trouble staying healthy, Lucic is an iron man.

I think they're better off with Larsson and Lucic than with Hall. Little more jam, less bad attitude (allegedly), and most important something different.

If you'd have told me Hall had never scored 30 in a season, I'd call you crazy.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
How has he been playing so far?

According to nhl.com he has 77 hits in 39 games, he is playing with grit or nhl.com is lying?

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
How has he been playing so far?

According to nhl.com he has 77 hits in 39 games, he is playing with grit or nhl.com is lying?

good speed, great addition to our fourth line

had a good hot streak where he kept scoring the canes first goal of the game, but has cooled off

after a couple of good finishes on breakaways we are starting to see the relative lack of hands that rangers fans were warning about, but with his speed hes been effective at dumping the puck, and has helped make this the best fourth line the canes have had in years

he is a clear fourth liner, so it remains to be seen if he will be re-signed, but for now hes been effective in his role and i wouldnt mind seeing him back

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Like this dude a lot. Perfect bottom 6er. He's got speed, he's hard-nosed, he has a nice wrist shot, he wins tons of board battles. Pretty much every shift, he makes something positive happen. And I think that's rubbed off on a lot of the younger guys, especially Nordstrom. Those two together are dynamite on the 4th line.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Like this dude a lot. Perfect bottom 6er. He's got speed, he's hard-nosed, he has a nice wrist shot, he wins tons of board battles. Pretty much every shift, he makes something positive happen. And I think that's rubbed off on a lot of the younger guys, especially Nordstrom. Those two together are dynamite on the 4th line.

#dirtyswedes

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I really hope Stalberg sticks here. I like his game and the speed and physicality he brings to the 4th line. He plays with a good balance of tenacity and awareness.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Stalberg has been solid, but seems like McGinn could do some similar things for less money and with more future upside. And hopefully that's the kind of role he will be in if we can improve our forward depth.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Stalberg has been solid, but seems like McGinn could do some similar things for less money and with more future upside. And hopefully that's the kind of role he will be in if we can improve our forward depth.

Not unless McGinn grows 4 inches and 30 pounds.

Sign him. 2 years, 1.2-1.5 per.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad