Stajan or Sjostrom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
askme
My opinion may be the exception, but I think Sjostrom's underrated.

Sjostrom definitely as more potential IMHO, he's a fine skater with borderline 1st liner skill set IMHO.
Stajan's probably better defensively but Sjostrom is definitely no slouch in that respect either. He's been a bit of a disppointment thus far granted, and he has a tendency to disappear but if he ever pulls it together he should become an excellent 2nd line Winger.

Stajan's obviously been a very pleasant surprise thus far, and probably a much safer bet. At the very least he'll be an excellent 3rd line defensive Center, and could well become a very good two-way playmaking 2nd liner.

Take your choice, the sure thing (IMHO) in Stajan... or the upside of Sjostrom, particularly offensively.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
Stajan has outproduced Sjostrom at every level so far. Don't know what would lead anyone to believe Sjostrom has more offensive potential. Sjostrom really isn't very good.

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Leaf Army said:
Stajan has outproduced Sjostrom at every level so far. Don't know what would lead anyone to believe Sjostrom has more offensive potential. Sjostrom really isn't very good.

It's not really the point production in their junior and minor league careers that could make people believe that Sjostrom would be a better offensive player. It's just the kind of games they play - Sjostrom has heck load of skill and natural talent to go along with his speed while Stajan's just a smart, smart player who plays to his strengths. Stajan, IMHO, isn't as much a natural scorer as Fredrik. Stajan relies on his linemates more and that is what most good players do. However, Fredrik can take the puck by himself from the red line and score.

Stajan's a more complete player and is the safer bet to be the better offensive and overall player at the NHL level, but Sjostrom has a dimension to his game that if he gets the right linemates, will find his name on the gamesheet more often than not.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
In Sjostroms case just because someone has good hands and is fast doesnt mean they are good offensively. SOmetimes it just doesn't equate. Ill take Stajan for sure.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
sevenSteen said:
It's not really the point production in their junior and minor league careers that could make people believe that Sjostrom would be a better offensive player. It's just the kind of games they play - Sjostrom has heck load of skill and natural talent to go along with his speed while Stajan's just a smart, smart player who plays to his strengths. Stajan, IMHO, isn't as much a natural scorer as Fredrik. Stajan relies on his linemates more and that is what most good players do. However, Fredrik can take the puck by himself from the red line and score.

Stajan's a more complete player and is the safer bet to be the better offensive and overall player at the NHL level, but Sjostrom has a dimension to his game that if he gets the right linemates, will find his name on the gamesheet more often than not.

Lots of guys have potential, that's no big deal. But Sjostrom's at the age where he needs to start showing it.

How can you say Sjostrom's a natural goal scorer? He scored 0 goals in 17 AHL games last year and only 14 in 80 this year.

Where is this natural goal scoring ability?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think Sjostrom has much skill to go along with his speed. As I recall, at least a few of his NHL goals were flukey, garbage goals.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Leaf Army said:
Lots of guys have potential, that's no big deal. But Sjostrom's at the age where he needs to start showing it.

How can you say Sjostrom's a natural goal scorer? He scored 0 goals in 17 AHL games last year and only 14 in 80 this year.

Where is this natural goal scoring ability?

Because when he played with quality linemates in the NHL, he scored at the same rate per minute as Ales Hemsky's much vaunted emergence. And that on the 3rd line with little PP time.

Statistically its a walkover for Stajan. But hockey players are not numbers. Sjostrom has blazing speed (very often you'll see him make a breakaway in the last few minutes of a game) and people who have actually seen him will have noticed he has real attitude and spirit (already one of the most popular players with fans). Coyote fans are hoping with experience he will develop into a very valuable role player who can play on any line in any situation.. a mini Jere Lehtinen. If he hits that upside, that type of player is very valuable indeed, virtually untradeable.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Although I am not too fond of swedes... Sjöström. He's a can't miss kind of prospect. If he won't score he'll still be valuable.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Leaf Army said:

leafs fan, kinda a biased comment? have you seen him play (sjorstrom)?

i havent seen really sjorstrom play nore recall seeing much of stajan, but from what i heard about both and what ive seen in clips of both, i like sjorstrom and i as well think hes kinda underrated, not many ppl talk about yotes prospects much besides the likes of wheeler or LeNeveu (sp?)

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
zetterberg40 said:

i havent seen really sjorstrom play nore recall seeing much of stajan, but from what i heard about both and what ive seen in clips of both, i like sjorstrom and i as well think hes kinda underrated, not many ppl talk about yotes prospects much besides the likes of wheeler or LeNeveu (sp?)
Funny you'd ask for the spelling of LeNeveu, but not for Sjöström ;)

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
zetterberg40 said:

How is what I said biased? I said Stajan has out-produced Sjostrom at every level. That's a fact.

No I haven't seen a ton of Sjostrom. But really I don't need to. I don't care how fast he can skate because I know that 15 goals in 100 AHL games isn't very good at all.

Certainly not worthy of people lauding him for his natural scoring ability.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Leaf Army said:
How is what I said biased? I said Stajan has out-produced Sjostrom at every level. That's a fact.

No I haven't seen a ton of Sjostrom. But really I don't need to. I don't care how fast he can skate because I know that 15 goals in 100 AHL games isn't very good at all.

Certainly not worthy of people lauding him for his natural scoring ability.

So once again you talk out of your butt. Don't make comments like "he's not a really good player" if you dont know who you are talking about. "Uhhhhh, look at da AHL numbas." I don't care if he's not scoring 20 goals yet, he didn't look out of place playing the
NHL game so I don't care if he's not tearing up the AHL (neither is Goc...is he worthless as well). The guy is an obvious talent and for you to write him off just so you can jock all over Stajan is pathetic.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Stajan. Wow, a comparison thread that the Leaf player will win. Don't see that too often around here.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
Patty Ice XXX said:
So once again you talk out of your butt. Don't make comments like "he's not a really good player" if you dont know who you are talking about.

First of all I know exactly who I'm talking about. Just because I haven't seen him much doesn't mean I don't follow his career because I do.

Don't criticize me for being honest. I live in Ontario and we don't get a ton of Coyotes games on TV. I'm not going to lie and pretend I see him play all the time like some people would.

Secondly, the guy I responded to said that he hasn't seen either Sjostrom or Stajan play so why aren't you directing this at him?

Patty Ice XXX said:
"Uhhhhh, look at da AHL numbas."

Well excuse me but when a couple people begin talking about how he's a better offensive player than Stajan and that he's got natural scoring ability I think it's quite appropriate to look at numbers.

He has 15 goals in 100 AHL games. That's not very good. Do you have a better way of measuring goal scoring ability? If so I'd like to hear it.

Patty Ice XXX said:
I don't care if he's not scoring 20 goals yet, he didn't look out of place playing the NHL game so I don't care if he's not tearing up the AHL

Well perhaps you should care.

Patty Ice XXX said:
(neither is Goc...is he worthless as well).

Well yeah he's another guy that I think is overrated. I wouldn't call either of them "worthless" though. Never did.

Goc is certainly better than Sjostrom though.

Patty Ice XXX said:
The guy is an obvious talent and for you to write him off just so you can jock all over Stajan is pathetic.

No, an obvious talent would be able to score in the AHL. He's a questionable talent.

Secondly, I didn't jock (whatever that means) all over Stajan. I just don't understand why some people feel Sjostrom was a better offensive talent considering Stajan has outscored him in junior, the AHL and the NHL.

It's a pretty reasonable point if you ask me. Don't know why people would take offense to it.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Leaf Army said:
No, an obvious talent would be able to score in the AHL. He's a questionable talent.
Well.. a lot of those "obvious" talents become nothing more than journeymen... There are lots of AHL gods who even can't sniff the butt of say Bill Lindsay NHL wise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad