McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

200.gif

Man, I miss kernkraft as our goal song.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
You'd think it would be a typical 'old boys club' type of hiring, but Staios has an impressive resume with what he did with Hamilton. Excellent hire.

Welcome back home, Staios!
Staios wasn’t from that generation of the team so it’s not an OBC type hire to me. He’s also been actively working in hockey since his playing days ended and been successful. This is a guy who has put up enough of a resume that other teams would be interested in him. Nobody else was interested in our OBC guys. Craig Mactavish, for example, had to go to Russia to find a job after he left the Oilers and even that didn’t last more than a handful of games. Huge difference. Nobody should be looking at this as an OBC hire.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Gen2 old boys club oilers are doing some damage in the hockey world. Was awesome seeing Grier work his way up to a GM spot. Staios earned his shot at an NHL gig too.

Refreshing compared to Gen1 OBC who just needed to get boozed up with Katz to get a top NHL job.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Gen2 old boys club oilers are doing some damage in the hockey world. Was awesome seeing Grier work his way up to a GM spot. Staios earned his shot at an NHL gig too.

Refreshing compared to Gen1 OBC who just needed to get boozed up with Katz to get a top NHL job.
Just wait for Gen3 OBC and McDavid becoming Oilers GM.

Reactions: oilers'72 and oobga

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
This is truly awesome. I love Staios. He was a core piece of the Oilers when I became a fan, absolute warrior and just a solid guy.

This is the perfect way to bring back a former player though. He paid his dues elsewhere, he didn’t just get gifted a job with no experience. But also the timing is really nice, we might win a Cup and he could be here for that, it would be so special to see man.

Also Holland is great but he will retire eventually, I love that he seems to be mentoring potential future GMs in Keith Gretzky, Brad Holland and now Steve f***ing Staios.

Kinda funny we could see Staios and Horc running this org someday and I’d be fine with it based on how their careers have trended since retiring as players. I’d sure love to see those two lifting the Cup as Oilers, I’d probably shed a tear.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
What other players from that Oiler era are in exec/coaching positions like this?

Mike Grier obviously, Todd Marchant was director of player personnel for several years...

Marty Reasoner got into real estate.

Reactions: oilers'72

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
What other players from that Oiler era are in exec/coaching positions like this?

Mike Grier obviously, Todd Marchant was director of player personnel for several years...

I was curious about that too and it’s tons of them.

Horcoff is up there with the Red Wings. Bergeron is a GM in the ECHL. Markanen is a GM in the Liiga. Todd Harvey is the Canucks Director of Amateur scouting. Gator and Peca are assistant coaches in the AHL. Ulanov and Semenov are coaching in Russia. Samsonov, Pisani, Stoll and Greene are development coaches. Spacek and Tarnstrom are working overseas.

And that’s just the 05-06 team haha.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver

He could be the Joe Sakic of GMs if he wanted to

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It kind of makes sense, most junior teams, after a Mem Cup run, have a couple years of low points.
The Bulldogs lost Nathan Staios, Kammerer and most certainly McTavish and Mysak but the rest of the team is still there and only gonna get better. I'm no OHL expert but I wouldn't expect Hamilton to miss a beat for another season or two. That can't be the reason for Staios to leave Hamilton.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The Bulldogs lost Nathan Staios, Kammerer and most certainly McTavish and Mysak but the rest of the team is still there and only gonna get better. I'm no OHL expert but I wouldn't expect Hamilton to miss a beat for another season or two. That can't be the reason for Staios to leave Hamilton.
I'm not saying it is, obviously an NHL job is part of it, but who knows.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
This is a great hire!!! He built a powerhouse in Hamilton. Wow this team has made some great hires since Kenny took stage. Woodcroft, Manson, Brad Holland and now Staios

I bet when Kenny retires, Brad becomes GM and Staios moves up?

Pretty much, Brad Holland definitely has future GM potential written all over him on his own merits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad