Stadium Series uniforms

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Friend of mine sent this to me last night. So I guess they're going with looooong numbers on the uniforms.

BZTrqZeIgAE6xLC.png:large

Thoughts?

penguins2946*

Eh I'll wait until something is officially announced to freak out about them looking stupid.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
numbers for players with giraffe-like bodies

great decision and the real impetus for the no-tuck rule

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Obviously they won't look like that, those are just player t-shirts (which don't have any striping whatsoever, I own a few different variations and they're all just logo & NHL badge on the front; name & numbers on the back)...but that's not promising.

I don't know what I hate more about this chrome thing, that the NHL thought for a second that something that everyone with a computer got sick of in 1998 was a good idea, or that they're effectively robbing us of any chance of seeing good throwback jerseys.

**** this futuristic crap. Hopefully the jerseys sell miserably.

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
Obviously they won't look like that, those are just player t-shirts (which don't have any striping whatsoever, I own a few different variations and they're all just logo & NHL badge on the front; name & numbers on the back)...but that's not promising.

I agree it's not promising, but at the same time it's very difficult to judge just on that, although chrome is a highly questionable choice. I don't like the elongated numbers, but usually the letter/number font isn't able to ruin a jersey. Make it better or worse, sure, but not ruin.

That said, chrome may not be a bad choice for the game: if the sun keeps reflecting off the uniform and blinds the Blackhawks, the Pens may actually have a chance of beating them.

I don't know what I hate more about this chrome thing, that the NHL thought for a second that something that everyone with a computer got sick of in 1998 was a good idea, or that they're effectively robbing us of any chance of seeing good throwback jerseys.

**** this futuristic crap. Hopefully the jerseys sell miserably.

They could make a brown and purple uniform with a hockey puck logo as the uniform and it would still sell because it's the Penguins. The last Winter Classic/Third uni proved that it can look like a hideous joke and still sell a bunch because people just want to have it.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
They could make a brown and purple uniform with a hockey puck logo as the uniform and it would still sell because it's the Penguins. The last Winter Classic/Third uni proved that it can look like a hideous joke and still sell a bunch because people just want to have it.

I sorta/kinda liked the last Winter Classic jersey...but that was 99% because of the logo (the striping was too awful to last more than one year in reality, it should have stayed in the past, and I hated the numbers as well). The jersey had a level of charm, even if it was overall pretty damn stupid. As a third jersey it was fine, I really have no issue with a third jersey being a bit...eccentric. If it wasn't so connected to Crosby's injury I don't think it would have quite as bad of a reputation that it has.

I just don't see how anything with a chrome effect can even have the slightest bit of charm or appeal to anyone over 7 or gearheads.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I hated the Winter Classic jerseys and still dislike them but in person (i.e. hanging on the rack or a fan wearing one) I think they're all right. This chrome thing they're going for has shades of Black Ice jerseys in my mind, and that's downright frightening.

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
I just don't see how anything with a chrome effect can even have the slightest bit of charm or appeal to anyone over 7 or gearheads.

In theory chrome will look bad. But the Pens shiny vegas gold stripes on their pre-lockout uniform looked good so you never know, especially on how much they use. But in general I do agree I don't think it will turn out good.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
In theory chrome will look bad. But the Pens shiny vegas gold stripes on their pre-lockout uniform looked good so you never know, especially on how much they use. But in general I do agree I don't think it will turn out good.

Neither of these are unprecedented, though...also worth noting that the NHL was the first to announce their chrome garbage, the NBA came out a couple days later with their Christmas jerseys being chrome-inspired as well, though their's is more along the lines of shiny silver instead of a bad 1997 PhotoShop effect.
561x380.jpg

For the vegas gold...it was taken from the St. Louis Rams, in part because of how good it looked on the uniforms. The vegas gold was much better pre-Edge.
marshall_faulk_picture_3_answer_3_xlarge.jpeg

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
Neither of these are unprecedented, though...also worth noting that the NHL was the first to announce their chrome garbage, the NBA came out a couple days later with their Christmas jerseys being chrome-inspired as well, though their's is more along the lines of shiny silver instead of a bad 1997 PhotoShop effect.

For the vegas gold...it was taken from the St. Louis Rams, in part because of how good it looked on the uniforms. The vegas gold was much better pre-Edge.

True and yes, the vegas gold was much better than edge era tan (of course, almsot everything is better in the pre-edge era). Maybe for the uniform they're using the highly original black Cadillac Escalade with chrome rims and spinners for inspiration?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
It also looks much better with navy blue than with black.

Agreed, but I still think it looked pretty awesome in action in those first few years. Once it lost it's sheen it lost a ton of it's charm. I originally was a pretty big fan of the change, but with the Edge material.

So am I the only one who liked the Winter Classic vs the sabres winter classic jerseys? Bring that back

I liked them a lot (the contrasting yoke and striping is my favorite basic jersey design...it's the same one the Devils still use), but I think most people tired of them after a couple years. I don't think Penguins fans will accept the powder blue retro (or any use of blue, really) until the vegas gold is rolled back to regular gold. If this team ever goes back to that 1980-92 aesthetic I think we'll be a lot more forgiving on third jersey designs, because everything that isn't that gets harshly criticized for not being that.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Agreed, but I still think it looked pretty awesome in action in those first few years. Once it lost it's sheen it lost a ton of it's charm. I originally was a pretty big fan of the change, but with the Edge material.

I liked them a lot (the contrasting yoke and striping is my favorite basic jersey design...it's the same one the Devils still use), but I think most people tired of them after a couple years. I don't think Penguins fans will accept the powder blue retro (or any use of blue, really) until the vegas gold is rolled back to regular gold. If this team ever goes back to that 1980-92 aesthetic I think we'll be a lot more forgiving on third jersey designs, because everything that isn't that gets harshly criticized for not being that.

I remember buying that baby blue alternate in Montreal, of all places I got the most compliments on it was in the Bell Centre. People loved it in all fanbases. First time I watched Crosby and Malkin was in that jersey, good memories

Fire Shero*

So am I the only one who liked the Winter Classic vs the sabres winter classic jerseys? Bring that back

Uhh that's like 5 years old, it isn't coming back any time soon.

Although Shero loves things from 5 years ago, you never know.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
We should get black chrome Oregon Ducks style helmets too...that'd be interesting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad