Pre-Game Talk: Stadium Series - Saturday March 1 - Pens @ Hawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I have to say I really hate this game being so close to the Olympics...one game buffering the two really killed any sort of anticipation there could have been.

At least Sid will finally get to play a game in Chicago for the first time since January 13, 2006 (and his first against Chicago anywhere since February 14, 2007).

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
Uniforms look sharp IMO.

a63d1bdaa0c311e3b9f512dc2048cdbc_8.jpg

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
NHL Network was showing the practice earlier, talking about Maatta, and especially Fleury. Lot of debating whether the Pens would try to get insurance for him or go with it and trade him this summer if he flames out again in the playoffs. Melrose was strongly in the "go get insurance" camp but the Hradek was all "you can't send the wrong message, bro! They said he was their guy, so you go with it come hell or icy water." :laugh:

titaniumexpose

LG Pens & Sharks
Dec 13, 2006
Ohio by way of Ford City, PA
I almost got to go by way of a surprise early b'day present from my sister & her Hawks fan husband, but plans fell through recently and I found out after. A bit bittersweet, I'm having a hard time caring about this team right now. Hard to go from an intense Olympic tournament to the same square peg in a round hole garbage, outdoor game spectacle notwithstanding.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
They lucked out on the weather. Glad it happened that way; I was pretty worried until it became clear this was the "winter of doom" in the midwest with constant snow and frequent single digit temps (which the teams missed by a couple days - we had a high of like 8 degrees yesterday and sub-zero temps after dark). Ironically I was worried earlier this week we might get "too cold" and brittle ice. As it is they'll probably get some snow down there tomorrow. Not like the Red Wings game most likely, though.

Looking at this setup, I believe Soldier field will be one of the best venues for watching, especially compared to crappy baseball stadium setups where half the fans are far away from the field, and the ones down low can't see anything.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
They lucked out on the weather. Glad it happened that way; I was pretty worried until it became clear this was the "winter of doom" in the midwest with constant snow and frequent single digit temps (which the teams missed by a couple days - we had a high of like 8 degrees yesterday and sub-zero temps after dark). Ironically I was worried earlier this week we might get "too cold" and brittle ice. As it is they'll probably get some snow down there tomorrow. Not like the Red Wings game most likely, though.

Looking at this setup, I believe Soldier field will be one of the best venues for watching, especially compared to crappy baseball stadium setups where half the fans are far away from the field, and the ones down low can't see anything.
Soldier Field looks perfect for a hockey game with the way the seating is set up. It's not a huge, stretched out bowl. Also, on the weather, just checked, about 20 degrees and a 60% chance of snow at puck drop.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly 57s
First outdoor game casualty: Fleury's Steelers-like helmet fell on him before practice. Has stitches, huge knot above left eye. #Penguins

https://twitter.com/pgshelly/status/439543114126987264

bet he was clowning around with it.

It was only a matter of time until a piece of safety equipment injured a Penguin. I'm still impressed that none of them got injured riding a bike in Sochi.

NGL, this outdoor game will be stressful for me watching Crosby.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
oh wait you mean fleury might hurt himself when he does handstands on the ice

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly 57s
First outdoor game casualty: Fleury's Steelers-like helmet fell on him before practice. Has stitches, huge knot above left eye. #Penguins

And thusly was teh Curse of the One-Lipped Helmet born. Pure evil that thing is.

Soldier Field looks perfect for a hockey game with the way the seating is set up. It's not a huge, stretched out bowl. Also, on the weather, just checked, about 20 degrees and a 60% chance of snow at puck drop.

Yah its seating is much more vertical and on top of the field than some others and while one side is different than the other, there's no real odd-ball corners or anything like that. Big House OTOH, not a great venue IMO. It's relatively low and goes outward from the field way more than it goes up. Buffalo's was great if I remember right. Also more of a vertical stadium at the time (not sure if they still use the same one).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad