OT: Stadium/Arena Sharing

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
There is a lot of talk about the Chargers or Raiders joining the Rams in their new stadium and it got me thinking about the whole stadium sharing thing. While IMO the ideal situation is a team gets their own building, I can totally understand joint ventures among different sports such as the Lakers and Kings but the same league is a different animal.

If I'm honest the intellectual side of me struggles with being a sports fan sometimes but at the end of the day I can suspend belief enough to say **** it and enjoy it for what it's worth. However, I simply could not imagine being a fan of a team that shares it's venue with another team...in the same sport...same league...same division...etc. I simply could not rationalize it. It obliterates what little pretense there is left and simply says **** you, you're an idiot, give us your money.

Thoughts?

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
There is a lot of talk about the Chargers or Raiders joining the Rams in their new stadium and it got me thinking about the whole stadium sharing thing. While IMO the ideal situation is a team gets their own building, I can totally understand joint ventures among different sports such as the Lakers and Kings but the same league is a different animal.

If I'm honest the intellectual side of me struggles with being a sports fan sometimes but at the end of the day I can suspend belief enough to say **** it and enjoy it for what it's worth. However, I simply could not imagine being a fan of a team that shares it's venue with another team...in the same sport...same league...same division...etc. I simply could not rationalize it. It obliterates what little pretense there is left and simply says **** you, you're an idiot, give us your money.

Thoughts?

Jets and Giants have been doing it for years. Giants have had success, the Jets, not so much. I do think it would take some getting used to.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Jets and Giants have been doing it for years. Giants have had success, the Jets, not so much. I do think it would take some getting used to.
Yeah I know they have and I don't see how the fans get passed it. How do they not feel dumb as hell during the "Thissssss issssss ourrrrr house" cheer?! Maybe I'm in the minority here but this would be the last straw for me.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Voted yes, nominally. It would depend on the sport and city. Can't see it working any time soon in Phoenix, though it "works" in Los Angeles (Lakers/Clippers) and New York (Giants/Jets), though in both of those contexts, one team clearly plays second fiddle to the other in terms of fanbase, media exposure, on-field/court/whatever success.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
If it kept the yotes here great. Hell if we had two teams even better, two teams to watch. There's no way we'd support two but still I'd be on board.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Only a few major cities have the size and demand to pull it off. The intellectual side of you struggles with the concept that building two stadiums for a billion each for 8 home games in some markets is maybe not ideal?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Only a few major cities have the size and demand to pull it off.
I'm thankful it's not viable in most markets as I do not view it positively.

The intellectual side of you struggles with the concept that building two stadiums for a billion each for 8 home games in some markets is maybe not ideal?
Oh XX, you're such a silly goose sometimes :pillow:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
If it kept the yotes here great. Hell if we had two teams even better, two teams to watch. There's no way we'd support two but still I'd be on board.
Well I'd also do it if it meant world peace but that's not really an option.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Well I'd also do it if it meant world peace but that's not really an option.

Obviously it's not really a factor with the yotes but it does help offset the cost of the arena, so in some cities it helps them keep teams. I don't really see a downside to it honestly.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Obviously it's not really a factor with the yotes but it does help offset the cost of the arena, so in some cities it helps them keep teams. I don't really see a downside to it honestly.
You wouldn't feel even remotely cheesy routing for the "home" team knowing the next night they'll just flip the signs over to another "home" team?

This reminds me of that time the Chargers had to play here and they covered all the Cardinal signs up with Charger signs. It was totally understandable under that circumstance (SD was on fire!) but the facade couldn't have been more paper thin, I don't know why they even bothered.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I'd rather the Coyotes share their own arena with the Suns and every other team currently at the Talking Stick Arena and squeeze every dollar they have out of them.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
I would like to see the ownership conduct a season ticket drive first.
If I were the SUNS, I wouldn't take the Coyotes on...
I wouldn't take the Rattlers or the Mercury on either and they both out draw us.
We need to make a statement as a fan base first that we are ready to commit.
I think fans will if finally put on the spot.
Then we can negotiate an arena deal from a position of strength.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
You wouldn't feel even remotely cheesy routing for the "home" team knowing the next night they'll just flip the signs over to another "home" team?

This reminds me of that time the Chargers had to play here and they covered all the Cardinal signs up with Charger signs. It was totally understandable under that circumstance (SD was on fire!) but the facade couldn't have been more paper thin, I don't know why they even bothered.

Eh not really, I mean if they were playing each other it would be interesting, but I don't think it would bug me.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City

Along with the 2005 United States Grand Prix (only 6 cars started), that was the weirdest big sporting event I've ever attended. They had the end zones painted like it was San Diego, their ads on the jumbo tron, the works. I had just come home from Virginia that afternoon, and saw the story about SD on fire ("free NFL game? sure!")...the one thing I remember was their cheer squad doing a dance routine to a song that went "We got more bounce in California than all y'all combined...", well, yes maybe so, but doesn't it feel weird that there's no one from California watching?

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Yes. 100%

Stadiums are absurdly expensive and only useful 81 / 41 / 8 / 2 / 22 days per year. Anything that gets extra value out of them is a good thing. Anything that helps justify each city's Westgate is great for.business.

Coyotes / Suns, do it.

Islanders would be better off sharing with Rangers than Nets. Figure out how to paint / not paint the center ice and you're set. Ultimate hockey arena.

Sometimes the commute on a weekday can be burdensome (ie: Yankees and Mets have very different catchment areas), but that extra $1b is better spent on improving the New York subways than building a second stadium.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Raze VMC. Build new sparkling arena. Have two hockey teams (AHL is fine) - the West Valley Vipers and the East Valley Javelinas - share the building.

The bloodiest rivalry this side of Boston/Montreal. :laugh:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

The Giants and Jets make it work quite nicely, thank you very much.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Yes. 100%

Stadiums are absurdly expensive and only useful 81 / 41 / 8 / 2 / 22 days per year. Anything that gets extra value out of them is a good thing. Anything that helps justify each city's Westgate is great for.business.

Coyotes / Suns, do it.

Islanders would be better off sharing with Rangers than Nets. Figure out how to paint / not paint the center ice and you're set. Ultimate hockey arena.

Sometimes the commute on a weekday can be burdensome (ie: Yankees and Mets have very different catchment areas), but that extra $1b is better spent on improving the New York subways than building a second stadium.
I should've specified the stadiums wouldn't be paid for by the general public, obviously it wouldn't make sense for the people to fund two giant stadiums. My question was supposed to be about pure fandom, not economics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad