Stack the top line with the 3 kids? (MNM)

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Would it make our team better or worse? I think the rest of our lines would still be very successful, something like this possible:

Nylander-Matthews-Marner
Hyman-Marleau-Brown (Worked great during Matthews injury)
JVR-Kadri-Bozak/Komarov (JVR/Kadri have chemistry and choose the extra winger on whether you need offense/defense)

Definitely think that first line could give us a Stamkos/Kucherov run on points while the 2nd and 3rd lines have previous history that would have you bet on them being as successful if not more, with the shutdown line being the 2nd line. Nylander's preferred wing is LW, and think he'd be more dangerous as a shooter, so in EA NHL games it'd be a shooter/playmaker+shooter+playmaker :laugh:

what do you think? Would it be better than our lines today?

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Horrible idea. Not one line could matchup against Tampa

We played horribly when Matthews was out, that was all Freddie.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
What Babcock needs to do is properly manage ice-time relative to player's skillsets.

Mike Sullivan in Pittsburgh always has one constant with his forward's ice-time - Sid, Geno, Phil and Guentzel are always getting the most ES ice time. He also a stacks a PP unit with these players as well.

Sullivan has wrote the book on how to manage a team that's juiced to the gills with offensive talent that also lacks quality D-men. Babcock should put his ego aside and take some god damn notes.

Reactions: hurricanematthews

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Horrible idea. Not one line could matchup against Tampa

We played horribly when Matthews was out, that was all Freddie.
We played horribly because Marner was slumping while Kadri had 0 linemates so this Hyman-Marleau-Brown line had nothing to do with the suckage

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
It's not going to happen.

Nylander has to be on his best behavior to stay off the 4th line FFS and you think he's going to put them all on the same line?

Tactically though "all the eggs in one basket" isn't what I'd go for.

Reactions: White Shadow

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Can't definitively say it would or wouldn't work, but the questions for me would be Marleau as a long-term C and JVR-Kadri meshing long-term. We aren't lacking offensively as a team, don't know if it helps defensively. I wouldn't mind seeing more consistency with lines (not necessarily any in particular) but I can't be sure that'd make any big difference either.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Marner and Nylander are strictly RWs at this point so it can't be done.

It's good to have balance throughout than stacking a line.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Nope too easy to just march up against one line

For me the most sense would be

Jvr matthews marner
Marleau bozak nylander
Hyman kadri brown
Any of ... Martin moore komarov leivo soshnikov

Marner nylander can swap doesnt make much of a difference but based on how i see our roster to me this would be ideal

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, because that’s gonna happen.

I think we’ve seen it for about 20 seconds on a PP in OT where surprise surprise, they scored

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Would it make our team better or worse? I think the rest of our lines would still be very successful, something like this possible:

Nylander-Matthews-Marner
Hyman-Marleau-Brown (Worked great during Matthews injury)
JVR-Kadri-Bozak/Komarov (JVR/Kadri have chemistry and choose the extra winger on whether you need offense/defense)

Definitely think that first line could give us a Stamkos/Kucherov run on points while the 2nd and 3rd lines have previous history that would have you bet on them being as successful if not more, with the shutdown line being the 2nd line. Nylander's preferred wing is LW, and think he'd be more dangerous as a shooter, so in EA NHL games it'd be a shooter/playmaker+shooter+playmaker :laugh:

what do you think? Would it be better than our lines today?
I basically agree. Two offense first lines with MNM, Kadri, Marleau and JVR and then two defense first lines with the rest. Mixing and matching all the time is taking away from them using their skill and speed.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
top pairs for 2017 so far
#Player1PosPlayer2PosGamesGoalsGPGPtsPPG
1MARK SCHEIFELECBLAKE WHEELERR28100.357120.429
2NIKITA KUCHEROVRSTEVEN STAMKOSC2780.296120.444
3JORDAN EBERLECMATHEW BARZALC2770.25970.259
4SEAN MONAHANCJOHNNY GAUDREAUL2770.259100.370
5ALEX OVECHKINLEVGENY KUZNETSOVC2870.250100.357
6EVANDER KANELJACK EICHELC2870.25090.321
7BRAYDEN SCHENNCJADEN SCHWARTZL2870.25090.321
8EVGENI MALKINCPHIL KESSELR2560.240110.440
9JOHN TAVARESCANDERS LEEL2760.22290.333
10VLADISLAV NAMESTNIKOVCNIKITA KUCHEROVR2760.22270.259
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
VanRiemsdyk - Matthews - Marner
Marleau - - - Nylander - - - Brown
Soshnikov - - Kadri - - Kappanen
Komarov - - - Bozak - - - Hyman

OR

Komarov - Matthews - Nylander
VanRiemsdyk - Bozak - Marner
Marleau - - - Kadri - - - Brown
Martin - - Moore - - Hyman

OR

Hyman - - - Matthews - - - Marner
VanRiemsdyk - Nylander - Brown
Marleau - - - - Kadri - - - - Leivo
Martin - - - Bozak - - - Komarov

OR

Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
VanRiemsdyk - Bozak - Marner
Komarov - - - Kadri - - -Brown
Martin - Hyman - Soshnikov

MR4

Oct 20, 2014

There's 0 reason for Nylander to be strictly RW when his preferred is LW, other than Babcock being a child with lines saying my way or the high way.

And plenty of teams load up on 1 line, either for the 3rd or sometimes the game.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
There is no reason this can’t be done to try and get a goal late int he 3rd. But it seems babcock would prefer to play for 1 point instead of 2 when scores are level. Elite teams go for 2, so I guess until babcock tries to win tied games in regulation we know we aren’t contenders yet

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Gotta spread the offence around. Marner/Nylander also have to learn to play better defensively, which they'll have a better chance of doing if they're not on a stacked line offensively. Though not sure if Marner can pick-up good defensive habits if most of his ice-time is with Bozak/JVR.

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015
Nope too easy to just march up against one line

For me the most sense would be

Jvr matthews marner
Marleau bozak nylander
Hyman kadri brown
Any of ... Martin moore komarov leivo soshnikov

Marner nylander can swap doesnt make much of a difference but based on how i see our roster to me this would be ideal
Never thought of that combo, actually i would switch bozak and kadri there to get super good two lines and bozak on checking might work as he is great at winning draws.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
If I could set the lines:

Brown-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Hyman (matchup)
JVR-Bozak-Marner
Martin-Moore-Komorov

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Nylander has said he prefers C then LW, he hasnt done it at the NHL level but he has played LW quite a bit. He does also basically play LW on the PP

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
What Babcock needs to do is properly manage ice-time relative to player's skillsets.

Mike Sullivan in Pittsburgh always has one constant with his forward's ice-time - Sid, Geno, Phil and Guentzel are always getting the most ES ice time. He also a stacks a PP unit with these players as well.

Sullivan has wrote the book on how to manage a team that's juiced to the gills with offensive talent that also lacks quality D-men. Babcock should put his ego aside and take some god damn notes.
As I've pointed out before, the reason this happens is because those are the only guys that are always on lines getting big minutes. The rest of their field hasn't performed good enough to stay on such a line, so they play some on fourth lines or third line when Pens don't have Phil there, and their average decrease as a result. This would (maybe) not be the case if someone in their field had been part of a successful line where they themselves had a 40pt ES pace.

I get that you want to see more ice time for our best players. I agree with that. I'm really not a fan of having Nylander on a fourth line, and then bounce him around if he's got enough go in him. And I'm really not a fan of the minutes Komarov keep being gifted, despite being really bad this season. I'm just saying that your argument is flawed. The difference is that outside the big three and Guentzel, nobody on Pens have been consistent enough to be a fixture on a minute-eating ES line. On the Leafs that group includes Hyman so far.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad