Proposal: St. Louis - Boston

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
:blues

David Backes (1.5 mil retained, 4.5 Cap hit)

:bruins

Alexander Steen (5.75 Cap hit)

Why Boston does it:

Seems clear that Backes isn’t a fit in Beantown, having just been a healthy scratch. He’s clearly regressed as a player and this way they move most of his contract while getting an objectively better player.

Why St. Louis does it:

If you ask any Blues fan why our team has had such a disappointing start, one of the first things they’ll probably say is a bad locker room culture. This isnt to suggest that Steen is a cancer or anything, just that he isn’t a fit for this particular team. They are giving up the better player but get a little relief on the cap. The Blues, outside of a 2 month hot start a couple years ago, really haven’t been the same team since Backes left.

Thoughts?

Reactions: STLBLUES44

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Why Boston does it:

Seems clear that Backes isn’t a fit in Beantown, having just been a healthy scratch. He’s clearly regressed as a player and this way they move most of his contract while getting an objectively better player.

Why St. Louis does it:

If you ask any Blues fan why our team has had such a disappointing start, one of the first things they’ll probably say is a bad locker room culture. This isnt to suggest that Steen is a cancer or anything, just that he isn’t a fit for this particular team. They are giving up the better player but get a little relief on the cap. The Blues, outside of a 2 month hot start a couple years ago, really haven’t been the same team since Backes left.

Thoughts?

why is Boston retaining on a bad contract to take on the full value of an equally bad contract?

They'll just pay the 6 to Backes instead of taking on Steen @7.25

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
As a Blues fan I would do it, just to get Backes back in the Blue Note. I do think Steen will end up being the more productive player, but the Blues could really use Backes's leadership qualities.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
why is Boston retaining on a bad contract to take on the full value of an equally bad contract?

They'll just pay the 6 to Backes instead of taking on Steen @7.25
It's not equally bad. Backes is 4th line/scratch at this point, Steen is still a quality 3rd liner, 2nd line if need be, 40ish points and all situations.

CptxMorgan

Dangerzone
Jul 3, 2008
Lawrence, MA
It's not equally bad. Backes is 4th line/scratch at this point, Steen is still a quality 3rd liner, 2nd line if need be, 40ish points and all situations.

Yeah, not sure if it's health issues and injuries catching up with him but Backes for Steen straight up, even with salary retained, is not a trade any sane GM would do. I don't think it's a scenery or linemates issue with Backes, I think playing the style he does at his age is taking its toll.

Reactions: Strafer and Colt55

BruinsFan1990

Mar 29, 2016
Winthrop, MA
Steen only has 3 more points than Backes, so production is about equal. Doesn't really seem like its worth it from a Bruins perspective. We have a lot of RFAs to sign and adding more cap doesnt make sense.

Reactions: Strafer

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
I dunno if its worth worth it for the bruins with retaining on Steen. They are a cap team, and paying 7.25 for the next 3 years for a guy who going to be in his mid-30s and starting to slow down is not great.

They are the same age, Steen has 61 points in 108 games the last 2 years, Backes has 45 in his last 95. Steen had much higher offensive zone starts last year, but they are getting similar d-zone heavy usage this year.

I think Steen is definitely better, I just don't know if its an upgrade worth $1.5 million

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I dunno if its worth worth it for the bruins with retaining on Steen. They are a cap team, and paying 7.25 for the next 3 years for a guy who going to be in his mid-30s and starting to slow down is not great.

They are the same age, Steen has 61 points in 108 games the last 2 years, Backes has 45 in his last 95. Steen had much higher offensive zone starts last year, but they are getting similar d-zone heavy usage this year.

I think Steen is definitely better, I just don't know if its an upgrade worth $1.5 million

not with McAvoy, Carlo, Heinen, JFK, Cehlarik and Donato up for RFA this summer.

oh, and DeBrusk, Grzelcyk hit RFA next summer as well as Krug and Miller hitting UFA.

long story short, the Bruins need to shed dead contracts, not pay to take them on

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, not sure if it's health issues and injuries catching up with him but Backes for Steen straight up, even with salary retained, is not a trade any sane GM would do. I don't think it's a scenery or linemates issue with Backes, I think playing the style he does at his age is taking its toll.
Yeah, I love him, but signs were showing in his last season with us. Steen is starting to get those signs. He's definitely declining, but has more in the tank than Backes.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Steen only has 3 more points than Backes, so production is about equal. Doesn't really seem like its worth it from a Bruins perspective. We have a lot of RFAs to sign and adding more cap doesnt make sense.

3 more points in 6 less games. It's not equal. One is around a 40 point pace and the other around 25 point pace.

Reactions: Whitsmith803

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis

Why Boston does it:

Why St. Louis does it:

Thoughts?

Dude i like it. I honestly miss backes, Even though his production went down, he never would have let the locker room be like that

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I mean I guess in a sense it makes a little sense. Boston gets a 2nd liner may be falling a bit into 3rd category. Blues try to bring a good leader to the locker room.

Loved Backes while he was here. If we could even out the salaries I’d imagine it would be a little more feasible.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I mean I guess in a sense it makes a little sense. Boston gets a 2nd liner may be falling a bit into 3rd category. Blues try to bring a good leader to the locker room.

Loved Backes while he was here. If we could even out the salaries I’d imagine it would be a little more feasible.
I would much rather have backes in front of the Goalie instead of Maroon. Maybee we can give them maroon too?

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
404: second line player not found

I mean he’s pacing .5ppg generally playing on a line with Maroon and Bozak. I could see why he’s had a downturn in production, especially on an abysmal team at most parts of the year.

I don’t think it’s a massive stretch to call him a second liner. Nor do I think it’s wrong to call him a 3rd.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Bruins say no.

Backes has a 3 million bonus on July 1st.

At that point he is owed 5 million over 2 years in real cash.

If they need to, I bet they can find a non-cap team take him on. His trade list in only 8 teams (and then 15 teams) so the Bruins options might be limited... but it will be better than taking back Steen.

Reactions: TCB and Strafer

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
At least Backes brings leadership and grit, can fit into the bottom six role.

Can Steen? Retaining on Backes makes this a bad trade.

Yes, they play pretty much identical roles, just different styles, and that adjust their roles a bit. Both are gritty 2-way players. Boston is getting undeniably the better player, but probably don't want the higher cap hit.

To get rid of Backes, you probably won't want to take back a player like Steen, but you will have to retain and provide incentive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad