Aug 5, 2011
The Blues 2020 - 2021 Top-20 Prospect List:
1) Klim Kostin - 61.3%
2) Scott Perunovich - 50%
3) Zachary Bolduc - 45.9%
4) Jake Neighbours - 63.8%
5) Simon Robertsson - 35.8%
6) Nikita Alexandrov - 62.1%

Alexandrov takes the number 7 spot. Alexandrov has been a steady, solid prospect the last few years. He's found success at every level he's played in and last season was no different. Getting his first taste of professional hockey, he played a 35 games split between Kookoo of the Liiga and Utica of the AHL. While I didn't see much of him in Liiga, and none at all in the AHL, what I saw is what I've seen from Alexandrov throughout his career. Simple, smart hockey that will not wow nor impress, but is needed on any team. I've always envisioned him as another Bozak where his skills will not be what separates him from the pack, but rather his ability to read the ice and make the proper decision at the right time. Of course Bozak had more hype at the same age, but Alexandrov should look like the Bozak that we Blues fans saw first hand for the last three years. I see a 20-30 point, defensively responsible player that's willing to play physically in order to disperse plays/distribute the puck. Unlike the others ahead of Alexandrov, I don't see any talent or skill that will put him in the top-6. That's not to say the others ARE destined top-6 players, but they do have an argument with their talent, skill, past season, or production. But something that Alexandrov does have that others do not is his ability to play the game at any speed. He doesn't need to dictate play because his simplistic game style works in a variety of scenarios. Bolduc seems to like slowing down play while Robertsson seems to love speeding the game up. But Alexandrov doesn't need the game to gravitate toward his preferred style in order to play effectively. It's an odd aspect I've liked about Alexandrov. It's why I've thought of him as a more mature prospect. Others need to refine their game in order to make it more dangerous or robust. Alexandrov has a malleable style that I don't think needs too much refining. All that needs to be seen is if he can continue to translate his talents to higher levels of hockey. We might even see him don the Blue note towards the end of this season given his development and game. Though, I wouldn't bet on that just yet.

Voting for #8 begins now!

Reactions: Ranksu

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
I'll go with Hofer here.
Ellis had a better year and I'm not sure either is really closer than the other to being NHL ready, but Hofer probably has higher long term upside due to his size.
Plus I want to get the lame Hoff references over with.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I'll go with Hofer here.
Ellis had a better year and I'm not sure either is really closer than the other to being NHL ready, but Hofer probably has higher long term upside due to his size.
Did he really tho? The two are hard to compare IMO.

The shutouts and wins were impressive and all, but I'm not sold on Ellis' season. His team, the Charlottetown islanders, was by far the number 1 overall team in the QMJHL regular season. Ellis was 20 years old playing behind a stacked junior team. I want to see how he does against pro competition before I'm ready to compare his season to Hofer's.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Ha! Ha! You've found Aldi's subsidiary franchise in Austria, Hofer stores! Good find! If Hofer becomes a perennial all star goaltender for The Blues Louie can have a mascot companion! :naughty:
I was sure I already posted that I chose Hofer here, because neither Laferriere nor Torophenko gives me much inspiration, nor do Loof, Galloway, or Tucker.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'll go with Hofer here.
A great season in junior just isn't comparable to being the most-used guy for an AHL team in the shit show that was a COVID season where 2 NHL teams shared an affiliate. They are separated in age by 2 months but were on polar opposite sides of the spectrum in terms of what their development path was at 20 years old.

Ellis played more games and had great stats behind a top 5 CHL team. Hofer only played 10 games and put up mediocre stats behind a mediocre AHL team. But he did that in the 2nd or 3rd best league in the world as a 20 year old, started more games than any other goalie on their roster (they used 6), and spent half the year practicing with NHLers with an NHL goalie coach. Those situations couldn't be more different and there isn't a way that anyone from the outside looking in could say who did better.

Edit: for the first time in these votes, I'm not voting for Hofer. Voted Ellis instead.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
My, oh my! The defensemen cupboard is like shopping when the pandemic first hit.

“Gosh! I hope I can make this block of spinach and bag of frozen lima beans last.”

Aloof and Kessel inspire little more than a modern version of gelatin casserole.

We better start praying that Mikkola makes a big step, of which I’m skeptical. And I’ve been a fan of his since he was drafted.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Ha! Ha! You've found Aldi's subsidiary franchise in Austria, Hofer stores! Good find! If Hofer becomes a perennial all star goaltender for The Blues Louie can have a mascot companion! :naughty:
I wish we had Aldi out here in AZ.

When I was in Germany, meine freundin snobbed her nose at the people who shopped at the Aldi stores in Bremen.

But back in Chicago, that was a go-to place. At least we have TJ’s out here.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Went Kessel solely on upside alone.

I think goalie rankings should be separate lol. But otherwise agree with hofer too
Agreed about the goalie rankings. I’ve long had the opinion that our goalie prospect rankings should be separate. Thanks for voicing that opinion.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I wish we had Aldi out here in AZ.

When I was in Germany, meine freundin snobbed her nose at the people who shopped at the Aldi stores in Bremen.

But back in Chicago, that was a go-to place. At least we have TJ’s out here.
You were probably in Germany back when Aldi still sold inferior goods. They were like Penny Markt. Their entire strategy was to sell items that cost less than the average low-cost items. To do that, the item had to have lower quality (using cheaper ingredients or less of the important ingredient per size or quantity). Their fruit and vegetables were ugly, and older, and so, would spoil quickly, and already had lost much of their usable vitamins. The brands were "off" brands. Boxes and cans had less volume, but "pretended" to be the normal size (e.g. had less of the item inside and more empty space). Mainly recent immigrants with almost no income shopped there. To help save money to help keep their prices lower, the regular neighbourhood Aldi stores had only 2 cashier lanes, and often only had one operating. The lines were ridiculously long. Only very poor people could afford to wait for 45 minutes to an hour to buy things. It was like that all over Germany. I lived in Munich for 35 years, and Aldi was the same there as in Bremen. About 20 years ago Lidl came in as a competitor, having similar low prices, but better quality merchandise. They cut into Aldi's market increasingly, until the point, about 5-7 years ago when Aldi opened some superstores (large sized) which had better merchandise, and the better quality was soon spread to all the small stores. Your ladyfriend was most likely snubbing her nose at the "old" Aldi with inferior products and ridiculously long lines.

I lived in Bremen for 6 years. In Huchting(Westside), Horn (beim Uni)(Northside), and Oberneuland(Eastside). Did you live in The Bremen Area? We didn't have Aldi in The Netherlands until very recently. Lidl came there first. That's mainly where I shop. We do have Aldi now. We've had Aldi in Danmark too, for a long time. But it still has inferior goods, and long lines. I've never noticed an Aldi in USA or Canada. I suppose they might have them now in L.A. and Winnipeg, but I wouldn't shop there. Actually I wouldn't shop anywhere. We get everything we need shipped or delivered to us.

Reactions: Blueston

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
You were probably in Germany back when Aldi still sold inferior goods. They were like Penny Markt. Their entire strategy was to sell items that cost less than the average low-cost items. To do that, the item had to have lower quality (using cheaper ingredients or less of the important ingredient per size or quantity). Their fruit and vegetables were ugly, and older, and so, would spoil quickly, and already had lost much of their usable vitamins. The brands were "off" brands. Boxes and cans had less volume, but "pretended" to be the normal size (e.g. had less of the item inside and more empty space). Mainly recent immigrants with almost no income shopped there. To help save money to help keep their prices lower, the regular neighbourhood Aldi stores had only 2 cashier lanes, and often only had one operating. The lines were ridiculously long. Only very poor people could afford to wait for 45 minutes to an hour to buy things. It was like that all over Germany. I lived in Munich for 35 years, and Aldi was the same there as in Bremen. About 20 years ago Lidl came in as a competitor, having similar low prices, but better quality merchandise. They cut into Aldi's market increasingly, until the point, about 5-7 years ago when Aldi opened some superstores (large sized) which had better merchandise, and the better quality was soon spread to all the small stores. Your ladyfriend was most likely snubbing her nose at the "old" Aldi with inferior products and ridiculously long lines.

I lived in Bremen for 6 years. In Huchting(Westside), Horn (beim Uni)(Northside), and Oberneuland(Eastside). Did you live in The Bremen Area? We didn't have Aldi in The Netherlands until very recently. Lidl came there first. That's mainly where I shop. We do have Aldi now. We've had Aldi in Danmark too, for a long time. But it still has inferior goods, and long lines. I've never noticed an Aldi in USA or Canada. I suppose they might have them now in L.A. and Winnipeg, but I wouldn't shop there. Actually I wouldn't shop anywhere. We get everything we need shipped or delivered to us.
We had/have Aldi in St. Louis and it was definitely known as a place where I would not want to shop. Something changed in the 90s with Aldi and Trader Joe‘s hooking up.

I was in the Army stationed near Bremen (arrived right after the Berlin Wall fell), but I almost never slept in the barracks. I lived with my girlfriend at the time in the Findorff neighborhood next to the Bürgerpark. We hung out at the Schlachthof a lot. I lived in Bremen for about two and half years.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
We had/have Aldi in St. Louis and it was definitely known as a place where I would not want to shop. Something changed in the 90s with Aldi and Trader Joe‘s hooking up.

I was in the Army stationed near Bremen (arrived right after the Berlin Wall fell), but I almost never slept in the barracks. I lived with my girlfriend at the time in the Findorff neighborhood next to the Bürgerpark. We hung out at the Schlachthof a lot. I lived in Bremen for about two and half years.

It's amazing how small a World this is. I lived in Bremen (about half the year) from 1989-1995. We might have walked right by each other in The Centrum, or at Kaufhof, or in front of The Becks' Brauerei many times! Or, otherwise, we might have done so in Chicago.

Sprichst Du jetzt gut Deutsch (oder Bremer Plattdeutsch)?

Last edited:
Reactions: stl76

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
It's amazing how small a World this is. I lived in Bremen (about half the year) from 1989-1995. We might have walked right by each other in The Centrum, or at Kaufhof, or in front of The Becks' Brauerei many times! Or, otherwise, we might have done so in Chicago.
Do you remember a little sculpture studio/store Im Schnoor?
That was owned by my girl’s dad.

We hung out in the Steintor a lot, of course. Der Römer was the best club in Bremen. We went there at least 10 times per month.

Edit: Anyway.....I got Toropchenko this round

Last edited:

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
We didn't have Aldi in The Netherlands until very recently. Lidl came there first. That's mainly where I shop. We do have Aldi now. We've had Aldi in Danmark too, for a long time. But it still has inferior goods, and long lines. I've never noticed an Aldi in USA or Canada. I suppose they might have them now in L.A. and Winnipeg, but I wouldn't shop there. Actually I wouldn't shop anywhere. We get everything we need shipped or delivered to us.

Aldi has been in the Netherlands for as long as I can remember, while Lidl came up much later (had to check this: Aldi has been in the Netherlands since 1973, Lidl since 1997). Aldi did close all of their Schlecker-subbrand stores in the Netherlands. I personally don't shop at the Aldi anymore, not because of the inferior goods (it is inferior, but not as bad as how you mentioned it was in Bremen and Munchen), but because their shops are so incredibly depressing. Fluorescent lightning everywhere, yellow/brown-ish floortiles from the seventies, all the goods displayed in boxes, narrow aisles and it's usually incredibly crowded, partly with ME FIRST people. I always get claustrofobic if I entered an Aldi. Lidl is a lot better. Still too much fluorescent lightning, too narrow aisles and annoying people, however their quality of goods is quite good eventhough they rarely sell big brands.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020

Munich is awesome
I got to go there in 1988
I try to explain what the Hofbrauhaus is like to people, but it is almost impossible to describe without being there

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Aldi has been in the Netherlands for as long as I can remember, while Lidl came up much later (had to check this: Aldi has been in the Netherlands since 1973, Lidl since 1997). Aldi did close all of their Schlecker-subbrand stores in the Netherlands. I personally don't shop at the Aldi anymore, not because of the inferior goods (it is inferior, but not as bad as how you mentioned it was in Bremen and Munchen), but because their shops are so incredibly depressing. Fluorescent lightning everywhere, yellow/brown-ish floortiles from the seventies, all the goods displayed in boxes, narrow aisles and it's usually incredibly crowded, partly with ME FIRST people. I always get claustrofobic if I entered an Aldi. Lidl is a lot better. Still too much fluorescent lightning, too narrow aisles and annoying people, however their quality of goods is quite good even though they rarely sell big brands.

WOW!!! I never notice Aldi in The Netherlands at all, until about 7 years ago. But, then, I live in a village with absolutely no shops. I ride my bicycle to Heerhugowaard to shop, and lived in Den Haag for over 30 years and don't remember seeing an Aldi there, either, neither in Leiden nor Delft. To this day, I have only seen Aldi in Amsterdam(where they seem to be all over the place), and Utrecht. I don't remember one in Venlo, or Groningen for that matter. Maybe I'm just not paying attention?

EDIT: Maybe I should make that 12 years ago. I've had no conception of time over the past 30 years. It's gone by like maybe 8-10. :amazed:

Last edited:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Do you remember a little sculpture studio/store Im Schnoor?
That was owned by my girl’s dad.

We hung out in the Steintor a lot, of course. Der Römer was the best club in Bremen. We went there at least 10 times per month.

Edit: Anyway.....I got Toropchenko this round

Can't say that I remember it. But the name sounds familiar. On which street was it located? THAT might bring back some memories.

But will we be punished for going so very far off topic, or is that forgivable during off-season? :laugh:

Reactions: Brian39

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad