Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
The Blues 2020 - 2021 Top-20 Prospect List:
1) Klim Kostin - 61.3%
2) Scott Perunovich - 50%
3) Zachary Bolduc - 45.9%
4) Jake Neighbours - 63.8%
5) Simon Robertsson - 35.8%

I apologize for the lateness of this poll. This weekend has been a little too stressful for me and I couldn't get around to it until just now.

The number 5 spot goes to the newcomer Simon Robertsson. The 3rd rounder was a surprise faller that could easily make every team in the league regret not selecting him. Many have his shot as one of the top in the draft class. Coupled with his shot, he has that nice European style of skating where he is always on his edges. I like his ability to find those soft areas of the ice without relying on a perimeter game you see with prospects that have a shot like Robertsson's. He has the agility to avoid defensive pressure and a sneaky good ability to distribute the puck. I wouldn't say he's the most creative player with the puck, but he plays a good up-tempo game where I think he can give the illusion of being more creative than he is. That's not a negative as he makes the good, clean, smart pass as opposed to forcing the puck in lanes that don't exist. He just does it at a higher pace so as to throw defensive strategy out of whack. All-in-all, the guy is built to play an offensive style game and he does it with gusto. He managed to play 22 games in the SHL, and while he didn't exactly light the world on fire, the fact he stayed with the pro club that long is a good sign. It probably helped that he did push the offense when he was on the ice, even if he couldn't crack the scoresheet. And he did light up the scoresheet when pushed down to the junior club, so it's not like he didn't do anything. His resume is impressive and offensive tools are eye opening. He is highly inconsistent and doesn't have a defensive game that's worth talking about right now. That doesn't mean he's bad defensively, but I think he's going to become only passable in that regard if he reaches the NHL. I want to believe that the inconsistency to his game is the real reason he was passed over. But then again, he looked like a sure top-30 player in the draft up-until the U18 tournament. I would hope scouts wouldn't be as myopic as determining the standing of a prospect from a single tournament (you know, the old Craig Button style of prospect evaluation). But I can never be too certain. Regardless, Robertsson has the 1st round talent and we as Blues fans can only hope he proves the other 31 teams wrong on passing him up.

Let the voting for the #6 spot, begin!

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Going with Alexandrov to round out the Forwards.
Next is the 2 goalies, then we'll start hashing out some of the grinder/3rd pairing types.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
giphy.gif

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I'm picking Alexandrov now, as goalies are so hard to peg at early stages of their careers because their careers can be wrecked by a problem in their mental aspect of their game at ANY stage of their career. So they are always a much bigger gamble. Defencemen take longer to develop than forwards, and have a much higher percentage of late developers turning into very good players. So choosing a forward with decent tools is still the safest way to go with no defencemen remaining in the pool showing well-above average skills after Perunovich. Alexandrov looks like he'll be reasonably likely to have a floor of at least an average 3rd Liner, and probably likely to be a 3rd/2nd Line "tweener" as his high-end potential. Hofer may well become a star goalie in The NHL, but he could also become a bust. Same for Ellis. Loof has some decent skills, but he's too far away to predict even a range of where he might end up. Waskurak and Toropchenko might well become good, 2-way bottom 6ers in The NHL (much better chance for decent 4th Liners. But, I'll go with Alexandrov's higher upside potential.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
The fact there there is still no real mass voting for a defensemen yet despite a mediocre forward pool is indicative of how bad our pool is looking.

I argued a while ago that we needed to start taking some gambles of on D prospects, looking to find a Petro replacement. That was 4 or so years before he moved on. In that time we lost him, lost our youngest most promising D in Dunn, signed two aging players to long term contracts, lost JBo and have a big question mark surrounding Parayko who only has a year left. Since then we have developed no defensemen that project as anything other than 3rd pairing to press box quality players. We may have a 2nd pairing guy in Perunovich. But that is still a big “might”. Since defensemen take so long to develop, we need some drafted yesterday to start building up the next core. I am not sure what is going on with our drafting department, but we need some top three round picks to restock the defensive cupboard on top of some high skill forwards.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
The fact there there is still no real mass voting for a defensemen yet despite a mediocre forward pool is indicative of how bad our pool is looking.

I argued a while ago that we needed to start taking some gambles of on D prospects, looking to find a Petro replacement. That was 4 or so years before he moved on. In that time we lost him, lost our youngest most promising D in Dunn, signed two aging players to long term contracts, lost JBo and have a big question mark surrounding Parayko who only has a year left. Since then we have developed no defensemen that project as anything other than 3rd pairing to press box quality players. We may have a 2nd pairing guy in Perunovich. But that is still a big “might”. Since defensemen take so long to develop, we need some drafted yesterday to start building up the next core. I am not sure what is going on with our drafting department, but we need some top three round picks to restock the defensive cupboard on top of some high skill forwards.

It almost makes it necessary to get a reasonably good 2-way defence prospect in the Tarasenko trade who will unexpectedly exceed his projected level after a few years, by a longshot, like Parayko did. Otherwise nothing is in the pipeline at all that will fill that need. Teams that have to keep filling big needs by trading for it and paying dearly in draft capital eventually sink to the bottom of the standings, or are stuck perpetually in the lower mid level of franchise success. I hate to think we have 7-8 years of mediocrity ahead just because we went after that ONE Stanly Cup winning season. I really think this last Cup window has already closed, and Armstrong will need to be very, very clever and somewhat lucky, too, to get us out of this current mess.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

I'd disagree we have mediocre forward pool. I think we have super shallow D pool, but our forward pool is likely to yield multiple regulars including at least a couple top 6 players, if not more. And our goalie pool is also strong. But I think what you are highlighting is by design.

But we have drafted one defenseman in top 2 rounds since Dunn (and only 1 more in top 4 rounds during that period). This seems to be organizational philosophy, that since D tend to blossom later that unless you can get can't miss D (generally only available in top 5-10 picks) that you are better off taking forwards in 1st and hoping to strike gold on D in later rounds and supplement that with other avenues (trade/free agency) rather than risking wasting high picks on D who are much more of a crapshoot (and we also don't take goalies in top 2 rounds, preferring to draft 1 basically every year in later rounds and hope 1 hits).

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
True. But the point is that NONE of those prospects seem to have even the slightest potential to become a #1 or #2 (e.g. 1st shift) defenceman, that we need to replace Pietrangelo.
well, yeah.. those don't grow on trees lol

IF healthy, Parayko goes a long ways to filling that.. just needs to be a bit more 'by committee' than by just one guy

still very intrigued by Tucker.. late bloomer?

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
The teams forward prospects are a very solid group, no real game breaker but that's to be expected given the lack of high 1sts they've had to work with.

Defense is where the prospect quality falls off a cliff and it's also what drags the overall prospect pool down near the bottom of the league.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I'd disagree we have mediocre forward pool. I think we have super shallow D pool, but our forward pool is likely to yield multiple regulars including at least a couple top 6 players, if not more. And our goalie pool is also strong. But I think what you are highlighting is by design.

But we have drafted one defenseman in top 2 rounds since Dunn (and only 1 more in top 4 rounds during that period). This seems to be organizational philosophy, that since D tend to blossom later that unless you can get can't miss D (generally only available in top 5-10 picks) that you are better off taking forwards in 1st and hoping to strike gold on D in later rounds and supplement that with other avenues (trade/free agency) rather than risking wasting high picks on D who are much more of a crapshoot (and we also don't take goalies in top 2 rounds, preferring to draft 1 basically every year in later rounds and hope 1 hits).
It might be by design. It might also be that multiple 1st, 2nd and 3rd round selections were missing from our draft log because we traded them. If the BPAs were forwards in those spots then the breakdown could be coincidence. But, it could also be intentional. Regardless, we are incredibly thin there. If we have a handful of middle 6 forwards coming in that’s decent I suppose given our placement in each draft round. But, we don’t have that on D and overall (outside of maybe goal) we have no top flight players. No 1st line or 1st pairing potential type guys, unless someone has a huge leap in unforeseen growth.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
It might be by design. It might also be that multiple 1st, 2nd and 3rd round selections were missing from our draft log because we traded them. If the BPAs were forwards in those spots then the breakdown could be coincidence. But, it could also be intentional. Regardless, we are incredibly thin there. If we have a handful of middle 6 forwards coming in that’s decent I suppose given our placement in each draft round. But, we don’t have that on D and overall (outside of maybe goal) we have no top flight players. No 1st line or 1st pairing potential type guys, unless someone has a huge leap in unforeseen growth.
While I agree about quality of our defensive prospects, I think it’s too early to dismiss that Neighbours, Bolduc, or even Robertsson could be 1st liner. That said, ROR, Perron, Schenn, Buch, and perhaps Kyrou are already 1st line quality so we can afford to be patient with them.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
While I agree about quality of our defensive prospects, I think it’s too early to dismiss that Neighbours, Bolduc, or even Robertsson could be 1st liner. That said, ROR, Perron, Schenn, Buch, and perhaps Kyrou are already 1st line quality so we can afford to be patient with them.
Maybe, but like I said they would have to have unforeseen gains. At this point none look like first liners.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

Well written and so true. :thumbu:

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Well you just made Army look stupid. :laugh:
how? a guy that didn't wanna be here left.. ok? he asked for basically his salary guaranteed, up front, and a full nmc and an extra year that LVG couldn't give him
and army (at least reported/rumored) offered him close to Josi money the offseason before... Petro was going to free agency regardless.. and it became pretty clear he didn't wanna stay in STL. I DO find it ironic that Nurse, of all players, now makes more $$$ than him tho lol

I get that you hate Army, and LOVE petro.. I think we all get it

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
how? a guy that didn't wanna be here left.. ok? he asked for basically his salary guaranteed, up front, and a full nmc and an extra year that LVG couldn't give him
and army (at least reported/rumored) offered him close to Josi money the offseason before... Petro was going to free agency regardless.. and it became pretty clear he didn't wanna stay in STL. I DO find it ironic that Nurse, of all players, now makes more $$$ than him tho lol

I get that you hate Army, and LOVE petro.. I think we all get it
Hold on what Parayko wants, but it's OT.

You wanna take wild guess what Army will do.

Parayko will walk. Then we have Krug - Faulk our top pair.:laugh:

Re-build coming soon.

NHL best D-core for one of the worst D-core in few years. Only in Blues.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Hold on what Parayko wants, but it's OT.

You wanna take wild guess what Army will do.

Parayko will walk. Then we have Krug - Faulk our top pair.:laugh:

Re-build coming soon.

NHL best D-core for one of the worst D-core in few years. Only in Blues.

and yet that 'best d-core' got bounced by VAN in the playoffs with only 2 exceptions..

JBo was gone and the Capt admitted to not preparing while at home

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad