3) Zachary Bolduc - 45.9%
4) Jake Neighbours - 63.8%
5) Simon Robertsson - 35.8%
6) Nikita Alexandrov - 62.1%
7) Joel Hofer - 72.1%
8) Colten Ellis - 33.3%
9) Matt Kessel - 48.8%
10) Alexei Toropchenko - 27.3%

Toropchenko takes the #10 spot. He's been in the system for a while now and finished his 2nd professional season as a prospect, only this time with the Kunlun Red Stars in the KHL. I didn't see much of his time in the KHL, but I do know he started out hot only to trail as the season went on, basically the opposite of the season Kostin had in Avangard. Now, I don't wish to this to come off entirely negative as the Red Stars were a significantly worse team than Avangard, so his play might have been environmentally effected. Regardless, Toropchenko played a bottom-6 role in the KHL, and for Toropchenko, he should expect the same if he plays in the NHL. He has size and speed with solid enough acceleration to take advantage of his mobility. The problem is with his puck handling. He has the Mikkola quality where his play with the puck is below-average, the difference being that Mikkola could get away with it due to his spatial awareness. Toropchenko doesn't seem to have the vision to play a keep-away game or utilize his teammates well enough. But if there is something to be excited about with Toropchenko is his developing aggressive play. If there is a distinct change in his game, it's how he's accepted the bottom-6 projection and is trying to develop the high-energy role. If he wants to make the NHL, he will need to play this way seeing his offensive projections are not favorable. I would guess he becomes another MacEachern (I've always really liked him) with his speed and aggressive tendencies. Weird to say but he would be an excellent compliment to Kostin and Barbie if all were to play. I think that would be a fun line to watch. Regardless, Toropchenko is not the most exciting prospect (not many would be at this point), but there is NHL hope with him. Whether he gets there will be the question.

Let's get to #11!

Reactions: Ranksu

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Went with Tucker. This will need to be the year he takes a step forward in the AHL. He and aloof have the same ceiling, but he is ahead of his development.

Reactions: CoMoBlues

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Toropchenko’s size, speed and aggression are exactly the three qualities that I love.

Three qualities that can seamlessly fit into any lineup. Just don’t be a defensive bonehead and this guy has a chance to play 300-400 games in the NHL. Not bad.

Toro is not a goal scorer, but even MacMac scored 7 goals a couple seasons ago.

Tucker this round. He is improving. Love it.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Dickinson again. Really looking forward to what he's going to do this season. Has the potential to be a huge riser in this poll next season.

Reactions: Blueston

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Between Tucker and Washkurak for me. I went with Tucker, just because he is a defenseman. As others have stated, we're scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

Reactions: CoMoBlues

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Yeah man! All that’s left are those weird nameless things wrapped in black or orange paper.

Has anyone ever eaten those?

Only when desperate, but by that point they are usually hard as a rock. I'm reminded of Louis Black's old comedy bit about candy corn where he said all the candy corn ever produced was made in 1935 (or some year way back when) because no one actually eats candy corn.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Between Tucker and Washkurak for me. I went with Tucker, just because he is a defenseman. As others have stated, we're scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

We're still talking about players who could very well make the NHL in a bottom 6 / 3rd pairing role at some point in time, wouldn't call it the 'bottom of the barrel' yet untill Dickinson/Peterson/Tucker/Zherenko/Lööf are off the table. At spot 11 to 15 that's actually not that bad looking at our draftpicks the last couple of years. After 15, were talking replacement level/AHL-guys IMO.

Reactions: Blueston

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
We're still talking about players who could very well make the NHL in a bottom 6 / 3rd pairing role at some point in time, wouldn't call it the 'bottom of the barrel' yet untill Dickinson/Peterson/Tucker/Zherenko/Lööf are off the table. At spot 11 to 15 that's actually not that bad looking at our draftpicks the last couple of years. After 15, were talking replacement level/AHL-guys IMO.

Guys that COULD be a 4th liner or bottom pair D are the very definition of bottom of the barrel. If they don't have a chance of making the NHL, then they aren't a prospect. They are just minor-leaguers at that point. I cannot get excited about a guy who AT BEST can be an adequate replacement level player.

Now I do think there are still a few guys above that level. They are just not as far above nor as many as we should have at this point in the rankings.

Reactions: Beauterham

Spear

Anonymous source FOR HIRE
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Yeah man! All that’s left are those weird nameless things wrapped in black or orange paper.

Has anyone ever eaten those?

They're kind of a psuedo-peanutbutter candy. Not recommended.
I believe they can cause brain damage.

Yeah..... I ate a few.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I wonder where Kaspick falls? Could he be potentially ~Dakota Joshua?

I think it's very likely he will not even be in the top 20. Sure, he could make a huge step but unless he has a breakout season I'd be surprised if that results in a call up somewhere in the future. But who knows... Joshua was 'meh' too untill he got into a good streak at the Comets and earned his call up. I still think Joshua shouldn't ever be a regular in our lineup though.

Guys that COULD be a 4th liner or bottom pair D are the very definition of bottom of the barrel. If they don't have a chance of making the NHL, then they aren't a prospect. They are just minor-leaguers at that point. I cannot get excited about a guy who AT BEST can be an adequate replacement level player.

Now I do think there are still a few guys above that level. They are just not as far above nor as many as we should have at this point in the rankings.

I guess it's what your definition is. My definition of 'bottom of the barrel' are the replacement level guys. Players you'd usually never 'want' to call up but you're happy they can fill a spot if necesarry. Guys that will probably only get a few NHL-games under their belt in their career and never being pencilled in on a teams line up full time. I agree it's hard to get excited for replacement level players, but every team still needs to have a few. The Joshua's, Kaspicks, Poganski last season... Buy yeah, I'd rather focus too on players who have the potential to contribute for the team full time.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad