2) Scott Perunovich - 50%
3) Zachary Bolduc - 45.9%
4) Jake Neighbours - 63.8%
5) Simon Robertsson - 35.8%
6) Nikita Alexandrov - 62.1%
7) Joel Hofer - 72.1%
8) Colten Ellis - 33.3%
9) Matt Kessel - 48.8%

Matt Kessel takes the #9 spot and the second defenseman on the list thus far. While many leagues had an odd season, the college hockey was one of the few leagues that didn't see a dramatic change in length nor execution, at least for the regular season. Matt Kessel took full advantage of this as his stock rose considerably. Drafted as an overager, Kessel doubled his output in 5 less games while only trailing Zac Jones for team lead in points for defenseman. His heavy shot and vision was fully used last year, and him beginning the year at a, or at least near, a PPG pace illustrated what his offensive ability can lead to. Although I've read his skating needs work, I've never thought of it as detrimental. It's not graceful like Mikkola was at that age, but it's not my biggest concern. What I do think he needs to prove is how he can step up this next coming season. Not so much in production, but in how he can take over Jones's spot in the lineup. Yes, his defense needs refinement, but I want to know how he can stack up as being "the guy" in UMass's lineup. It will require a lot of tuning in multiple areas (transition, dictating play from the back-end, gap reads/closure, etc.). I want to know if what we saw was strictly a highlight of his strengths without need to refine those other mental areas of the game, or if that's all he can do period. That might sound needlessly negative, but I view it as a complement to what he's achieved thus far. He can play at a high level already in college hockey, so now I want to know where the road to his development can end. He's exciting and I want to see him become even more so.

Let's round out the top-10 now!

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
This is a toughy. I went with Tucker because he is further along in his development then both Loof and Washkurak.

I think we are all sleeping on Washkurak a bit here. He had a pretty solid year overseas. And I have liked his game due to his physical play. I think he will be a surprise this year in the AHL.

Reactions: CoMoBlues

CoMoBlues

Aug 16, 2010
Columbus, OH
This is a toughy. I went with Tucker because he is further along in his development then both Loof and Washkurak.

I think we are all sleeping on Washkurak a bit here. He had a pretty solid year overseas. And I have liked his game due to his physical play. I think he will be a surprise this year in the AHL.

Tucker. A man and his dream

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I went with Lööf again, because his highest upside potential, as a defenceman, is probably worth more than the highest upsides of any of the forwards left, and I think 2 consecutive Os with umlauts is funny! :naughty:

Reactions: joe galiba

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Went with Loof again. Will likely go with Dickinson next, then Peterson.

After that? I don't know. Those three are the only ones who, in my opinion, are more than fourth line players or 6th/7th defensemen.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Went with Dickinson.

He's a bit of an enigma due to the OHL-season completely being cancelled last year. But he has all the tools to develop into a NHL 3rd liner. Apparantly he's bulked up quite a bit since being drafted which should help him with the next step. He was a really skinny guy in his draftyear, which didn't help him at all. Great skater, good playmaker. This is a guy with the potential to 'suddenly come out of nothing' and be one of the best forwards in the OHL next season. Weird surname though.

Was also in team USA shortly ago and did really well there. I think chances are big he will make team USA.

Reactions: Blueston

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Went with Dickinson.

He's a bit of an enigma due to the OHL-season completely being cancelled last year. But he has all the tools to develop into a NHL 3rd liner. Apparantly he's bulked up quite a bit since being drafted which should help him with the next step. He was a really skinny guy in his draftyear, which didn't help him at all. Great skater, good playmaker. This is a guy with the potential to 'suddenly come out of nothing' and be one of the best forwards in the OHL next season. Weird surname though.

Was also in team USA shortly ago and did really well there. I think chances are big he will make team USA.
I’m sorry. Which one are we talking about?

Was that Dick Peterson or Peter Tannerson?

I’m sooooooo confused.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Peterson is a man and could carve out a bottom-6 role. Dickinson is about 2 growth spurts away from having a real shot at an NHL job. I'll stick with Dylan "Norm" Peterson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad