Prospect Info: St. Louis Blues Prospect Ranking #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
Vote away. Now that we made the Free Agency splash, time for the annual.

Next to add: MacEachern, Shields, Saari, Lundstorm, Tremblay, Descheneau, Yakimowicz, Veilleux.

And I'm not sure if Lehtera counts or not. Even Allen for that matter.

Last edited:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I would imagine Allen will win this poll, and he's certainly earned it with his performances both in the CHL and in the AHL, but I went with Fabbri. Maybe I have shiny new toy syndrome, but his draft year production put him in truly elite company. I went with Fabbri and there's nothing anyone can do about it :P

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
I would imagine Allen will win this poll, and he's certainly earned it with his performances both in the CHL and in the AHL, but I went with Fabbri. Maybe I have shiny new toy syndrome, but his draft year production put him in truly elite company. I went with Fabbri and there's nothing anyone can do about it :P

I probably should have asked this before making it, but is Lehtera still considered a prospect? Should we keep him in the poll. Feel free to edit him out if not.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Went with Fabbri. This guy has a chance of being a star, and I suck at evaluating goalies as prospects.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I probably should have asked this before making it, but is Lehtera still considered a prospect? Should we keep him in the poll. Feel free to edit him out if not.

Meh, we'll leave him in. He's yet to play in the NHL, so I say he counts.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
Compared to previous years, namely the ones with Tarasenko the past two, this is a much harder poll to vote on. Especially after a great draft. Really shows the depth this team has now. From Vannelli, to Descheneau, to Binnington, to Parayko. Good depth.

I went with Rattie just because I think he's the closest sure thing this team has to becoming a star, plus he had a pretty good AHL year, but I probably should have picked Allen or Fabbri.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Compared to previous years, namely the ones with Tarasenko the past two, this is a much harder poll to vote on. Especially after a great draft. Really shows the depth this team has now. From Vannelli, to Descheneau, to Binnington, to Parayko. Good depth.

I went with Rattie just because I think he's the closest sure thing this team has to becoming a star, plus he had a pretty good AHL year, but I probably should have picked Allen or Fabbri.

No you shouldn't have. It's an opinion. That way, when Rattie becomes a star and Fabbri busts exceptionally hard, you can come back and point out how stupid Carvin and I were :laugh:

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Rattie, Jaskin, Fabbri and Barbashev looks like they have a legit shot at being top 9 players. Then add Schwartz and Tarasenko. That's 6 of the top 9 down the road. That's some serious skill with guys 22 and younger.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Went with the definition of #1 prospect being the most pro-ready prospect who could be a difference maker this year, voted Allen.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I don't think prospect quality is judged mainly by NHL-readiness, so that's not why I voted Allen. But he has proven himself and then some in the AHL and shown enough at the NHL level that he's free of the classic goalie doubts for me. Now it's just a matter of how good of an NHLer he becomes and how quickly he does it.

For a while now, I've only seen one really notable flaw in Allen, and that's swimming caused by a tiny bit of over-commitment. And even that's not that bad. He's big, calm, fast, well-positioned, is a great puck-handler, has a terrific glove, and is better at rebound control than any goalie the Blues have had for many years.

I think his ability with the puck is of particular note. It's not just raw skill, it's his ability to read plays. He seems very aware of what's going on and is going to happen. When was the last time an otherwise NHL-caliber goalie played the puck so well and didn't stick?

I love Fabbri's potential, and I think he's a fine choice for #2, but, right now, Allen's floor seems higher and his ceiling is at least as high.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
What is the definition of best prospect? Highest ceiling? Most NHL ready right now? Most value in a trade? Chance of making it? Some combination of all?

I think it is obviously one of Jaskin, Rattie, Fabbri, Barbashev, Lehtera, Allen or Binnington. Anyone who votes Beach or Andronov needs to lay off the hooch. I can see an argument for any of them. Jaskin and Allen are the most ready. Rattie is the highest boom-bust. Lehtera is also ready and has a good ceiling, but I don't feel he is a prospect at 26. Barbashev and Fabbri are new but dripping with potential. Binnington looks good and could be a great goalie, but goalies are always risky.

So I am torn. I am torn between Allen and Barbashev. I am going to go with Allen. He will no longer be a prospect next year, and someone else will get a chance.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
What is the definition of best prospect? Highest ceiling? Most NHL ready right now? Most value in a trade? Chance of making it? Some combination of all?

I think it is obviously one of Jaskin, Rattie, Fabbri, Barbashev, Lehtera, Allen or Binnington. Anyone who votes Beach or Andronov needs to lay off the hooch. I can see an argument for any of them. Jaskin and Allen are the most ready. Rattie is the highest boom-bust. Lehtera is also ready and has a good ceiling, but I don't feel he is a prospect at 26. Barbashev and Fabbri are new but dripping with potential. Binnington looks good and could be a great goalie, but goalies are always risky.

So I am torn. I am torn between Allen and Barbashev. I am going to go with Allen. He will no longer be a prospect next year, and someone else will get a chance.

That's what makes this fun. No right or wrong answer just voting based on your definition of 'prospect.'

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
No you shouldn't have. It's an opinion. That way, when Rattie becomes a star and Fabbri busts exceptionally hard, you can come back and point out how stupid Carvin and I were :laugh:

Wouldn't be the first time. Won't be the last. Hell, last time I went with Vannelli over Schmaltz...Then Schmaltz exploded this season, while Vannelli fizzled on a pretty good Medicine Hat team.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I voted for Fabbri. He has the highest ceiling (yes, higher than Rattie, as he would be an all-around player like Schwartz and Gilmour, where Rattie may be a great sniper, but less solid all-around). Being NHL ready, as Allen and Lehtera are, and Jaskin almost is, is not a major factor in MY decision.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I went with Rattie. He's been a scoring machine everywhere he's played so far. Had a bit of a rough time in the AHL play-offs, but I'm excited to see what this off-season has done for him conditioning/strength-wise. A boost there, along with an improvement in skating will net us a phenomenal goal scorer at the NHL level.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
My vote registered for Lehtera, but can we limit the poll to "prospects" using the HF definition? I think that makes it less subjective, and we can just vote rather than quibbling over who should be on the list. I'm sure most people subtracted Lehtera mentally before voting.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect/

I thought about it, but who needs exact definitions anyway? I mean if you ask me it's just a fun fan poll, nothing too harsh or authentic. Lehtera hasn't played a games yet, to me he's still a 'prospect.'

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Went with Fabbri, forgot about Allen since we all just consider him a roster player now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad