Waived: St-Denis, Blunden placed on waivers (both cleared)

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I think St-Denis will clear. A lot of teams already have guys like him - good AHLers, unproven at the NHL level, and not a player with real high-end potential. There was a time when we were all sure that Mathieu Carle would get picked up on waivers when he was in a similar situation.

Blunden might not...he's a utility player who can play in the NHL, and teams are always looking for a guy like him to plug a hole due to injuries at the start of the year. We'll see.

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
I think St-Denis will clear. A lot of teams already have guys like him - good AHLers, unproven at the NHL level, and not a player with real high-end potential. There was a time when we were all sure that Mathieu Carle would get picked up on waivers when he was in a similar situation.

Blunden might not...he's a utility player who can play in the NHL, and teams are always looking for a guy like him to plug a hole due to injuries at the start of the year. We'll see.

I agreee. Very unlikely that St-Denis will be picked. In order to do so, a team has to keep him with the big club. Just don't see it.

Blunden is more of a possibility though it would surprise me. Ever team has fringe players like him in their own organizations.

Frankly between the two, I'd rather keep Blunden. With so many d-men kicking around and a whole new wave of them a year or two away, St-Denis' utility to the Habs is pretty much restricted to where he is now--Hamilton.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Same here; from the little I saw during his short NHL stint, Saint-Denis > Weber and, to be honest... I see a Gorges in him: no mistakes, he's quietly doing his job, he provides a two ways play contribution, he has a perfect work ethic and attitude...

Back to the OP, good news for Dumont.

EDIT: Marc-Antoine Godin (La Presse) has Blunden and Saint-Denis in his lineup for today's intra team game.

Maybe Bergevin hopes to trade Weber. [At least that's my hope.]

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
St Denis' versatility is an asset. He plays both sides equally well, and can play on both special teams. IMO he would have been better suited to the 8D spot than Weber, especially on a team with a surplus of PP options.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
St-Denis deserves his chance with the Habs. Call me crazy, but I think he was the "upside" to play as a quiet, reliable #4 defenseman.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
It would actually be smart of the Islanders to claim St-Denis, considering they still don't know when Visnovsky will show up and could use some competent fundamentals on their back end. But they have already been dumpster diving the waiver wire for defenders now, at it looks like they went with a few higher risk but higher reward options than St-Denis.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
St-Denis deserves his chance with the Habs. Call me crazy, but I think he was the "upside" to play as a quiet, reliable #4 defenseman.

Agree. I don't remember him being worthy of criticism when playing with the Habs and that says a lot considering almost everyone did.

I also think Blunden played very well. He's no offensive juggernaut, but he has his moments, competes all the time and isn't just a plug. He can be useful in tactical situations where you need a guy who is defensively competent but who can score as well. He's actually a decently fast skater as I recall.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
St Denis seems fine, and I guess he'd be the first callup in case of injury, but he belongs in Hamilton for now, I would think.

Habtchum*

St Denis seems fine, and I guess he'd be the first callup in case of injury, but he belongs in Hamilton for now, I would think.

If Bergevin would had been able (or is able) to move Weber, St-Denis would stay in Montreal.

Weber-Diaz-Kaberle are redundant.

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004

Yes, I think he clears also. I hope so, I liked what I saw from him.

THe habs will certainly end up using, much like the last shortened season, maybe 9-10 different defensemen. However, they will probably prefer Tinordi since he can jump up and down from AHL-NHL without a worry...this is where being a bit older has its downside ('we dont want to loose you so we keep you down')

Habtchum*

I like Weber, a lot actually, but it's hard to argue that.

I would not mind having Weber as a regular 6 IF the rest of our D would be taller and rougher. Diaz seems a bit better overall, and we have to endure Kaberle two more seasons (maybe ?).

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
If Bergevin would had been able (or is able) to move Weber, St-Denis would stay in Montreal.

Weber-Diaz-Kaberle are redundant.

Once Subban is signed Weber may be #8 and traded at that point, St Denis would move up to #8 but still in hamilton.

Habtchum*

Once Subban is signed Weber may be #8 and traded at that point, St Denis would move up to #8 but still in hamilton.

With a shortened season and many games in few days + risks of injuries, the team gonna keep 8 d-men. That 8th d-man (with Subban of course) is Weber for the moment. Could had been St-Denis instead.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
And we get him back later? Not like tampa stole superstars out of us...

No, not a star, but a solid NHL player in at least one case. Tom Pyatt signed a 2-year one-way contract with them after scoring 12 goals last year. Pyatt was certainly better than Blunden, Nokelainen and Darche. Bad move letting him, Lapierre and Dominic Moore all go for nothing basically. That was our third line the year we went to the final four and all contributed.

void

Jan 5, 2006
Both cleared.

RenLavoieRDS:
Mike Blunden and Frédéric St-Denis were not claimed on waivers.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
@LangloisMario
Si Frédéric St-Denis n'est pas réclamé au ballotage, ça voudra dire que les dépisteurs des 29 autres équipes n'ont pas fait leur travail !

@LangloisMario
Ils n'ont pas tous été joué au match d'étoiles de l'AHL comme ce fut le cas pour St-Denis.C'était l'un des meilleurs de la ligue (AHL)!

We'll see Mario, we'll see!

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I'm sure St.Denis can help a few teams. Often times it's timing and situations. Maybe if he was waived earlier NYI takes him instaed of Finley or Hickey, who knows.

I could see him back with the Habs if they move d-men or have a few injuries. Commodore is also a nice asset to have down there I think he could fill a roile here.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Good to see St-Denis is still with the organization for at least this year!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad