Injury Report: Stützle(Upper Body) - Week to Week

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Don't get me wrong, I'm still enjoying watching aspects of the team, especially Sanderson and will still end up watching 75+ games (live or recorded) while cheering. But I have zero faith in management. The players backing a coach with such a poor record as DJ doesn't instill any confidence in me. The players may not feel they are performing their best, but if they genuinely believe that there aren't any issues in the style of game we're playing, that's a larger cause for worry. I want Dorion to hold this team accountable, which he hasn't.

I don't trust this process given the rope DJ has received compared to other coaches that have been in similar positions and I don't trust DJ to be able to coach a team without Stu, Norris, and Zub to be defensively sound enough to stay competitive. DJ isn't the first coach to deal with so many injuries and he won't be the last.

I didn't expect a surefire playoff spot this season, but I expected us to be competitive until spring, which we still can be, but mathematically our chances of playoff hockey or finishing near a wildcard battle are low considering where we are after 28 games.
How would you like Dorion to hold the team accountable?

There are 3 guys standing on that bench in a game: Smith, Payne and Capuano. Those 3 guys between them have 35 years of experience standing on the bench in the NHL. That's just the NHL. They have another 30 years between them standing on benches making a living at it.

What makes you think that the players have issues with the style of game their playing? Or that they should have issues with the style?

DJ is known as a good communicator. I'm sure if players have concerns, or ideas on how something could be done differently, his door is open.

Reactions: PlayersLtd

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
I think figuring out what we have was derailed more or less in game 5. Would Norris's presence have resulted in 2 more wins in the last 23 games? It probably would have. Where would that put us? 5 points out with 2 games in hand. I think this could have been the sneak in the back door year...but it's the Senators and injuries f***ed it up before it got started.
JD1...the league is run by smart people...

at the end of each year, they see the standings. they then separate the teams into top 1/3, middle 1/3 and bottom 1/3. Teams will play a fair amount of their early games against teams in their bracket. This is to ensure that all teams are near 0.500 and are still in it. Then fans get hope and buy tickets/merchandize/etc.

the next segment of games (roughly game 25-70) are against the other 2/3 of teams. the Sens finished in the bottom 1/3. games 25-70 will be against teams who finished 1-20/21. They need to get it in gear something awful to make up ground and do so against quality teams. they have barely played Canadian teams. And many of them (less Vancouver and a shaky Montreal) are good. They still have the bulk of the eastern conference which is rock solid. they have the bulk of the elite of the West to go through...

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

at the end of each year, they see the standings. they then separate the teams into top 1/3, middle 1/3 and bottom 1/3. Teams will play a fair amount of their early games against teams in their bracket. This is to ensure that all teams are near 0.500 and are still in it. Then fans get hope and buy tickets/merchandize/etc.

the next segment of games (roughly game 25-70) are against the other 2/3 of teams. the Sens finished in the bottom 1/3. games 25-70 will be against teams who finished 1-20/21. They need to get it in gear something awful to make up ground and do so against quality teams. they have barely played Canadian teams. And many of them (less Vancouver and a shaky Montreal) are good. They still have the bulk of the eastern conference which is rock solid. they have the bulk of the elite of the West to go through...We haven't had an easy schedule this far. This article discusses schedule difficulty. It's 2 days old

the next segment of games (roughly game 25-70) are against the other 2/3 of teams. the Sens finished in the bottom 1/3. games 25-70 will be against teams who finished 1-20/21. They need to get it in gear something awful to make up ground and do so against quality teams. they have barely played Canadian teams. And many of them (less Vancouver and a shaky Montreal) are good. They still have the bulk of the eastern conference which is rock solid. they have the bulk of the elite of the West to go through...
What you're saying isn't quite accurate

This article is 2 days old and discusses schedule strength

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
How would you like Dorion to hold the team accountable?

There are 3 guys standing on that bench in a game: Smith, Payne and Capuano. Those 3 guys between them have 35 years of experience standing on the bench in the NHL. That's just the NHL. They have another 30 years between them standing on benches making a living at it.

What makes you think that the players have issues with the style of game their playing? Or that they should have issues with the style?

DJ is known as a good communicator. I'm sure if players have concerns, or ideas on how something could be done differently, his door is open.
Hold the team accountable by firing the damn coach when you have shite results. Injuries are not an excuse to play such crap defensive hockey. You don't keep Smith, Payne and Capuano because of their seniority, you keep them if you think they can get the most out of your players and if management still thinks that, we have larger problems.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Hold the team accountable by firing the damn coach when you have shite results. Injuries are not an excuse to play such crap defensive hockey. You don't keep Smith, Payne and Capuano because of their seniority, you keep them if you think they can get the most out of your players and if management still thinks that, we have larger problems.
But what about your point earlier that injuries have made it difficult to be consistent?

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
But what about your point earlier that injuries have made it difficult to be consistent?
Sorry mate, where did I type that? I can't seem to find the post.

I'm of the position that injuries aren't enough of an excuse to justify DJ's record.

Reactions: bert

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Sorry mate, where did I type that? I can't seem to find the post.

I'm of the position that injuries aren't enough of an excuse to justify DJ's record.
Earlier today you said

To be fair, given the injuries we have, its hard to imagine we can sustainably manage some winning hockey.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Earlier today you said

To be fair, given the injuries we have, its hard to imagine we can sustainably manage some winning hockey.
Ah, I did say that. Let me try to provide context.

With all the injuries we've had since the start of the season, DJ hasn't shown he can coach the team to play defensively responsible hockey that doesn't rely on its stars.

With another star out, it gives me even less faith in DJ (if that's possible), that we can pull together any wins.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
With all the injuries we've had since the start of the season, DJ hasn't shown he can coach the team to play defensively responsible hockey that doesn't rely on its stars.

This team has been playing defensively responsible for a good month now. Top half across all defensive metrics since November 12th, they are 6th in 5v5 GA/60 in that time frame.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The truth is, the experts in here are starting to quiet down about the coaching because it’s making them look bad. Can’t help it when we’re winning and the players and GM backed the coach.

Hate to say it, but you love to see it ;)

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
The truth is, the experts in here are starting to quiet down about the coaching because it’s making them look bad. Can’t help it when we’re winning and the players and GM backed the coach.

Hate to say it, but you love to see it ;)
Oh naw, we're still here.

For example, DJ had some horrible on ice assignments today (Watson in the 3rd comes to mind).

I will give credit where its due though, his work with the PP is awesome. If only he could get our players going 5on5

Union2017

Welcome to Ottawa, Michael Andlauer.
Feb 23, 2018
Ottawa
We are the 9th best team in the league in expected goals % at 5v5. The only reason we're actually not scoring more is because we're 31st in sh%. Not much DJ can do about players not putting the puck in the net when they get scoring chances.
My issue with him as a coach and our bench in general is how we play in our own end. Never said anything about our offence, but our defense is pretty bad. I think that's pretty obvious. Is it him or Capuano? Not sure, but he is the boss, so get it fixed. Another issue was playing #72 until he can't walk or think straight, playing #22 when we had better choices, scratching Gambrell when he was playing much better than some other 3rd or 4th liners etc.

Reactions: Emrasie

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
What you're saying isn't quite accurate

This article is 2 days old and discusses schedule strength

I read, little is in there about last seasons ranking.

from game 11-20, the Ottawa Senators did not play a single team that made the playoffs last year. And if you examine games to date (1-29) see how many were against teams that made the playoffs last year. 19 of these games were against non playoff teams from 2022.

so 10 games against playoff teams, 19 against none...of the 10 playoff teams, 4 were in #7 or #8 in their conference.

So of the 29 games:
19 have been against non playoff teams
4 have been against teams in the #7 or #8 rank in their conference
6 are against playoff teams in the 1-6 spots

Tell me that this is not a skewed schedule!!!! Bettman is not an idiot.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

from game 11-20, the Ottawa Senators did not play a single team that made the playoffs last year. And if you examine games to date (1-29) see how many were against teams that made the playoffs last year. 19 of these games were against non playoff teams from 2022.

so 10 games against playoff teams, 19 against none...of the 10 playoff teams, 4 were in #7 or #8 in their conference.

So of the 29 games:

Last seasons' rankings are not super relevant right now, especially considering we've already played our two games against Vegas, and two games against New Jersey who are two of the best teams in the league this season, despite them not making the playoffs last year. So saying "19 of our games have been against non-playoff teams" is pretty disingenuous when 4 of those games have been against Vegas and New Jersey.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Also, here's the actual link to the strength of schedule, which appears to use this seasons' stats: NHL Strength of Schedule Rankings

It says we have the 8th hardest schedule remaining, but that should be obvious, because we're in the hardest division and conference in the league. All the teams ahead of us on this list are Atlantic/Metro teams.

In fact, almost every team we're fighting with for a wildcard spot have a harder schedule than we do. Habs, Rangers, Red Wings, Panthers, Islanders. The Caps are the only team with an easier schedule left.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Last seasons' rankings are not super relevant right now, especially considering we've already played our two games against Vegas, and two games against New Jersey who are two of the best teams in the league this season, despite them not making the playoffs last year. So saying "19 of our games have been against non-playoff teams" is pretty disingenuous when 4 of those games have been against Vegas and New Jersey.
the issue remains the same..it is where the conversation started. The league skews its schedule. How or why a team ended up outside the playoffs or in the top, middle or bottom 1/3 is inconsequential.

What is significant is, the schedule is skewed to produce "like on like" in the first 20-30 games. If in that period some teams play at a significantly better level than last season, or if others play at a poorer level, does not affect the intent. "Like on like".

And so when a team is in the bottom 1/3 the previous season. As a minimum you would like to see it play 0.500 in the first 20-30 games. If a team is in fact ascending, it should have played well above the 0.500 in those early games. It should have feasted on last years' minnows.

But that is water under the bridge. A combination of poor play, injuries and dumb luck bounces, has left them with a lower point total than what we had otherwise hoped for. The question now is: in the next 20-30 games, when they will start seeing a steady diet of last years' top 10-16 teams, what then? can they play the 0.600 win ratio they need to get back into this?

they will enter a period when a solid 4 out of 5 games will be against last years' elite. Can they average 6 points?

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
the issue remains the same..it is where the conversation started. The league skews its schedule. How or why a team ended up outside the playoffs or in the top, middle or bottom 1/3 is inconsequential.

What is significant is, the schedule is skewed to produce "like on like" in the first 20-30 games. If in that period some teams play at a significantly better level than last season, or if others play at a poorer level, does not affect the intent. "Like on like".

And so when a team is in the bottom 1/3 the previous season. As a minimum you would like to see it play 0.500 in the first 20-30 games. If a team is in fact ascending, it should have played well above the 0.500 in those early games. It should have feasted on last years' minnows.

But that is water under the bridge. A combination of poor play, injuries and dumb luck bounces, has left them with a lower point total than what we had otherwise hoped for. The question now is: in the next 20-30 games, when they will start seeing a steady diet of last years' top 10-16 teams, what then? can they play the 0.600 win ratio they need to get back into this?

they will enter a period when a solid 4 out of 5 games will be against last years' elite. Can they average 6 points?
This is total nonsense. I just explained to you that last year is not relevant. We've already played alot of games against this season's elite. These are the games we've played against the 1st place team of each division.

Boston 1-0-0
New Jersey 0-1-1
Dallas 1-0-1
Vegas 0-2-0

7 of our 29 games have been against 1st place teams. And we went 2-3-2 against them.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

So of the 29 games:

The Blackhawks and the Coyotes are 2 and 3 in terms of hardest schedule to date.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
. The question now is: in the next 20-30 games, when they will start seeing a steady diet of last years' top 10-16 teams, what then? can they play the 0.600 win ratio they need to get back into this?

In the first 30 games this season, they played 7 games against teams that finished top 10 last season. In the next 30 games, they will play 8 games against that same group.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
In the first 30 games this season, they played 7 games against teams that finished top 10 last season. In the next 30 games, they will play 8 games against that same group.
so, you feel that teams 11-16 are easy? they need to play a grand total of 45 games against playoff teams from last year. They have played 10.

That leaves 35. So in the last 52 (game 30 is against Detroit), they need to play 35 out of 52 against last years' playoff teams.

YES..I did not check every game. It is possible that the Sens do not play one of Boston, Tampa or Florida 4 games, but only 3 times...so yes, it may be 34 games out of 52.

In the end it still means a backwards loaded schedule that will have them knee deep in last years' playoff teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad