Rumor: Stéphane Da Costa

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I don't see why not. If it's a cheap show me type deal - maybe it means we move Plek and spend for a big fish?

HTTP 400

Sep 1, 2007
Sure, bring him in as long as he's not too greedy. The guy has good stats in the KHL and always produced well on a very bad Team France on the international level.

Montreal seem a logic place for him : a real chance to get some quality ice time as a center and the obvious french factor. He also played with Radulov, but that's not relevant anymore :cry:

Anyone knows why he played so few games in the KHL last 2 seasons? Injuries?

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Quality over quantity please.

We already have..

Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Drouin
Lehkonen, Danault, Gallagher
Shaw, Plekanec, Hemsky
Byron, Mitchell, Hudon, McCarron, DLR

Having Byron on the fourth line already seems like a waste of talent to me... and weeks ago, there was talking that Hudon is expected to replace part of Radulov's production. If we sign another bottom 6 player Hudon might as well ask for a trade. He will never get a chance here.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
Quality over quantity please.

We already have..

Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Drouin
Lehkonen, Danault, Gallagher
Shaw, Plekanec, Hemsky
Byron, Mitchell, Hudon, McCarron, DLR

Having Byron on the fourth line already seems like a waste of talent to me... and weeks ago, there was talking that Hudon is expected to replace part of Radulov's production. If we sign another bottom 6 player Hudon might as well ask for a trade. He will never get a chance here.

same here,

BTw you ligns are almost whta I have in mind, switch Drouin and Gally to get a more balance top2 lines.

Da costa would not crack this alignment

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
There's a maniac on Youtube who has posted all of Da Costa's shifts from some of his NHL games as a rookie. I just watched a bunch. Da Costa Iso cam

Gotta say, that's pretty intriguing. Not saying anything more.

He's not afraid to go into dirty areas. He steals pucks in the offensive zone often. He's very creative. Has great wheels and great vision. Defensively he's pretty good positionally, though he got caught a couple of times looking the wrong way and missing a check (to be expected as a rookie centre). But he plays with intensity so I could see it translating at 28.

Compare his KHL stats to guys like Radulov (who he played with).

I would try him. Why not? Give him a KHL excape clause. He might just end up stealing a C spot.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
If that was all true, he would be an NHL regular. He doesn't have great wheels, which is why he didn't stick. Slow and soft.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
If that was all true, he would be an NHL regular. He doesn't have great wheels, which is why he didn't stick. Slow and soft.

Slow and soft? I definitely didn't read that. Maybe his acceleration? But not soft. He finished checks, didn't hesitate to get involved in front of the net in either zone. I definitely didn't see soft in the 30 mins of shifts I saw.

I think he didn't stick because he didn't score enough. But he's been scoring at a much higher rate as he's aged.

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
It was would a good safe signing like the Streit and Hemsky deals can't hurt with the center depth MB has acquired throughout the years lol

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Slow and soft? I definitely didn't read that. Maybe his acceleration? But not soft. He finished checks, didn't hesitate to get involved in front of the net in either zone. I definitely didn't see soft in the 30 mins of shifts I saw.

I think he didn't stick because he didn't score enough. But he's been scoring at a much higher rate as he's aged.

In the KHL where he seemed to miss a ton of games the last two season having only played 24 games in each.

Astormynight

Apr 19, 2015
Personally, I'm all for it... It if work we might get a decent 3rd line centre out of it (Which would be a need when Plekanek is gone)...

If it does not work, we lost anything... except a roster spot for less than a year but obviously we do not have a lot of depth down the middle.

And if it exceeds our expectation we can even get a second-line centre.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
He's another Holloway, star potential skills, no skating, not physical enough. He's been stellar in the KHL though.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Depth move.
Depth move.
Depth move.
Depth move.
Big trade that doesn't address our need for a #1C or LHD.
Depth move.
Depth move.
Depth move.
Depth move.
Depth move.
Depth move.
Depth move.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Depth move.
Depth move.
Depth move.
Depth move.
Depth move.
Depth move.
Depth move.
Depth move.
Depth move.
Depth move.
Depth move.

I thought that depth moves were made to solidify an already prominent top 6 but good old Marc Bergevin has proved that it was all just a fallacy, a myth, we are contenders.:laugh::laugh:

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

For the NHL environment, yes. He's perfectly suited for the KHL environment, though, and it's no surprise to me that he gravitated that way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad