SSM Greyhounds 2023 - 2024 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
This one sums it all up. Watch Beck on this play. It's Beck that gives Fantino the single leg takedown, and then again wraps Fantino's leg and back when he's down. Gets the call. You be the judge.

View attachment 858859
Tangled up. As Beck tries to plow through, Fantino has his arm around neck. They fall over while in this position so the ref could see it as a headlock from his vantage. They are still tangled and Fantino was just trying to get free. I would have either made it 2 and 2 or nothing but I'm not a ref making a split second decision in game.

Reactions: DWI Dale

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
This year's Rangers are soft, but they played more physical against London than either Saginaw or the Soo did in their series. Saginaw in for a rude awakening if they thought they showed physicality last series.
I think Beck, Bloom, Bishop, Christopolous, Dionichio, Hache, Hay, Sapovaliv, Sima, even Parekh will have an easier time handling the physicality of London than the speed plus effort/pressure of the Soo.
If London makes quick work of the series, it will be due to incredible special teams play.

• Haha
Reactions: All the Answers

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I think Beck, Bloom, Bishop, Christopolous, Dionichio, Hache, Hay, Sapovaliv, Sima, even Parekh will have an easier time handling the physicality of London than the speed plus effort/pressure of the Soo.
If London makes quick work of the series, it will be due to incredible special teams play.
I think you are wildly underestimating London. For whatever reason I don't think Soo saw the best of them this season. London's defensive zone coverage is stifling. They really don't have any holes anywhere. If Simpson stays steady I don't think Sags have a chance.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
if Allard , Carlisle & one of Dezoette or Fantino come back as overagers next year.

Cloutier Allard Mignosa
Brown Martin T. Hayes
Dezoette Vader euro pick ?
Cali ? euro pick ?

Gibson Carlisle

Evans Virgilio

BMB Solomon

Miller ( G )
? ( Back-up )

Reactions: frontsfan67

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
IMO Saginaw has holes to exploit if you show up 60 minutes a game, keeping up pressure and physicality. Unfortunately the hounds took too many periods off this series or were inconsistent in executing their gameplan, including 2.5 periods last night. That is not a recipe for success in the 2nd round and beyond :(

I predict the Knights in 6!

Reactions: dirty12

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
IMO Saginaw has holes to exploit if you show up 60 minutes a game, keeping up pressure and physicality. Unfortunately the hounds took too many periods off this series or were inconsistent in executing their gameplan, including 2.5 periods last night. That is not a recipe for success in the 2nd round and beyond :(

I think you guys left them ripe for the picking for London. Parekh, Guo out on D. Oke out. Beck barely played after taking that big hit last night so he's shaken up.

Even healthy I would pick LDN in 6, but with how u guys left Saginaw I think LDN makes quick work in 5. They also are gonna play that pesty, physical game every game, every shift.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
if Allard , Carlisle & one of Dezoette or Fantino come back as overagers next year.

Cloutier Allard Mignosa
Brown Martin T. Hayes
Cali ? euro pick ?

Gibson Carlisle

Evans Virgilio

BMB Solomon

Miller ( G )
? ( Back-up )
looks good, to start anyway. but if we keep allard and gibson after the deadline, i'll be very disappointed.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
looks good, to start anyway. but if we keep allard and gibson after the deadline, i'll be very disappointed.

That's the million dollar question at this point. Whether it's because they have thought we were better than we were, or wanted some extra playoff revenue, the organization has not made those type of moves the last decade. 6 years removed from our last true championship run, are they sick of being good but not great, or do they attribute our lack of playoff success to external forces like the homers? Time will tell.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think you are wildly underestimating London. For whatever reason I don't think Soo saw the best of them this season. London's defensive zone coverage is stifling. They really don't have any holes anywhere. If Simpson stays steady I don't think Sags have a chance.
Wildly under estimating the effect of the Knights physicality will have on the Spirit? I think not.
I already gave credit for the Knights outstanding special teams. I’m just not going to say they are much better than the Spirit 5 on 5 if at all. Keep in mind the Rangers gave the Knights close to as much they could handle in 3 of 4 games.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

No team could handle 60 minutes of peak pressure. First of all no team has the depth to be capable of that, then factor in the inevitable breakdown due to over aggression.

The Knights though, do not pretend to be four lines deep. They instead try throw different looks at teams with effectiveness.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
I will risk being called out as a homer and say, I believe that this year was a true championship run.

I respect that opinion, but definitely disagree. I base my judgement on results, not the "could have beens" that homers are so fond of. and being 2 full rounds away from a title isn't close enough for me to call it a title run.

p.s. I don't think you're a homer

Last edited:

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
No team could handle 60 minutes of peak pressure. First of all no team has the depth to be capable of that, then factor in the inevitable breakdown due to over aggression.

And no team is winning a cup when they show up for less than 10 minutes in an elimination game.

The hounds won quite a few games this season where they only played 1 good period. You can get away with that in February if you have talented players but that level of play is not good enough in the playoffs. The hounds inconsistency was discussed at length by soo fans, and in the end that inconsistency was too much to overcome.

There's lot of time for post-mortem over the next few months but whatever was done this year quite obviously wasn't good enough to win a championship.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Heart-felt sigh. At noon today I will engage in the annual "folding and storage" of all my Hounds' jerseys. Last year it happened real early in the season - so that's one thing to be thankful for. And if I think about it, there are three other fan bases in the O whose teams got swept in Round 2.

Will be renewing my season's tickets by the end of the week.
Exactly. Saginaw did look like the better team last night. Nothing wrong with losing a hard fought tough seven game series on the road, unlike some other team so I can think of….

I guess. We've only known we've had that for less than a week.
Oh man, we liked Schenkel from the beginning he played great in Sudbury.

Reactions: BehindSooNet

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
And no team is winning a cup when they show up for less than 10 minutes in an elimination game.

The hounds won quite a few games this season where they only played 1 good period. You can get away with that in February if you have talented players but that level of play is not good enough in the playoffs. The hounds inconsistency was discussed at length by soo fans, and in the end that inconsistency was too much to overcome.

There's lot of time for post-mortem over the next few months but whatever was done this year quite obviously wasn't good enough to win a championship.
have to give credit to the 3 overage players :
frasca, D'intino & Jack Beck ( when healthy ) they were the 3 best forwards game in and game out
in the playoffs.
bmb had some very good games but a few not so good.
gavin hayes, some good games but a few not so good . ( don't know if that deadline acquisition
was worth it for the Soo ) i think they needed to get to the third round and see how gavin hayes
faired against london, we will never know, but we will see clattenberg again .
agree with DWI Dale assessment above.

Reactions: DWI Dale

Jay R

Mar 30, 2024

Cloutier Allard Mignosa
Brown Martin T. Hayes
Cali ? euro pick ?

Gibson Carlisle

Evans Virgilio

BMB Solomon

Miller ( G )
? ( Back-up )
I think shenkle might have something today about Miller being the starter he'll be back next year stronger and more focused

OHLfan200

Nov 28, 2017
Same here. Need to build around Hayes, Martin and Virgilio. I was really 50/50 about buying this year because of this reason now. Happy we did though! Got some amazing hockey out of it. But we can replenish some stock with selling Allard, Gibson and I would assume Schenkel. Need to develop Miller more in hopes he can become like Charlie by Martin/Hayes 19 year old year.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Same here. Need to build around Hayes, Martin and Virgilio. I was really 50/50 about buying this year because of this reason now. Happy we did though! Got some amazing hockey out of it. But we can replenish some stock with selling Allard, Gibson and I would assume Schenkel. Need to develop Miller more in hopes he can become like Charlie by Martin/Hayes 19 year old year.
I'm hoping we take a run when they are 18. That would put cloutier and mignosa in their OA year and I think they could possibly be two of the top in the league.

Just spitballing

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
This one sums it all up. Watch Beck on this play. It's Beck that gives Fantino the single leg takedown, and then again wraps Fantino's leg and back when he's down. Gets the call. You be the judge.

View attachment 858859

More a fan of fight thru stuff, don't look gor help from stripes but seeing this I'd go no call n tell both to play on.
But so easy for me in hindsight.
Always preached don't look for help from the stripes and don't use calls as an excuse.
Tough one for a ref seeing that live ( sight lines/positioning are different, no replay, ect.....)
Cmon Beck your a future Hab hopefully lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad