SSM Greyhounds 2023 - 2024 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Raftis really did do a great job this deadline. I know we've covered this, but bringing in Hayes, Frasca and DeZoete have all been really good adds for this team. But even before that, bringing in Beck pre-season was so important to this team.

And look at what was moved out besides the picks. Sirizzotti - I know a few of us were torn at the time between him or D'Intino, but there can be no question now that this was the right move. Clattenburg & Kostov - these players would have been nice players for us in the future, but you have to give something to get something and this was an acceptable price. Toms - depth is always nice to have but great finding a place for him to play rather than being a healthy scratch here. Moses - a late bloomer who will likely be a nice player next season but who just didn't quite fit into our timeline.

Finally, let's look at what the other options were around the league. I know that if he played for the Greyhounds I would have found a way to like him, but I am not in the least bit upset that Owen Beck didn't end up here with all the dives (never mind the price we would have had to pay to land him). In fact, I run down the list of names that changed teams this season, and I am quite happy with the 4 that arrived here. I can't think of a single player I would rather have than the ones that Raftis brought in and the price he brought them in at. That is an amazing achievement.

Well done Raftis.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Raftis really did do a great job this deadline. I know we've covered this, but bringing in Hayes, Frasca and DeZoete have all been really good adds for this team. But even before that, bringing in Beck pre-season was so important to this team.

And look at what was moved out besides the picks. Sirizzotti - I know a few of us were torn at the time between him or D'Intino, but there can be no question now that this was the right move. Clattenburg & Kostov - these players would have been nice players for us in the future, but you have to give something to get something and this was an acceptable price. Toms - depth is always nice to have but great finding a place for him to play rather than being a healthy scratch here. Moses - a late bloomer who will likely be a nice player next season but who just didn't quite fit into our timeline.

Finally, let's look at what the other options were around the league. I know that if he played for the Greyhounds I would have found a way to like him, but I am not in the least bit upset that Owen Beck didn't end up here with all the dives (never mind the price we would have had to pay to land him). In fact, I run down the list of names that changed teams this season, and I am quite happy with the 4 that arrived here. I can't think of a single player I would rather have than the ones that Raftis brought in and the price he brought them in at. That is an amazing achievement.

Well done Raftis.
i think frasca has been a great add. especially in the playoffs. i was skeptical in the regular season, but he has been a force so far post season. dezeotte has been fantastic in his role.

at this point, i'm not sure about hayes vs. beck. beck has been much more noticeable than hayes. other than the occassional shift, he's really been invisible, whereas i've noticed beck a ton and he's been strong. that was always the question at the time, did we get a good regular season player? or someone that's been there, done that and does whatever to get the job done.

both could have been had for reasonably the same price.

As always, IMO only

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
at this point, i'm not sure about hayes vs. beck. beck has been much more noticeable than hayes. other than the occassional shift, he's really been invisible, whereas i've noticed beck a ton and he's been strong. that was always the question at the time, did we get a good regular season player? or someone that's been there, done that and does whatever to get the job done.

fair assessment although Hayes is also tied for the lead in scoring for us so he's quietly gone about scoring 12 points (4g, 8a) in 8 games including 2 last night. i'm not sure thats necessarily "invisible".

owen beck has 10pts in 8 games.

personally i think beck is a better 2 way player so maybe that's why you find him more noticeable, but hayes is a higher skilled scorer/finisher imo.

Reactions: dirty12

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
fair assessment although Hayes is also tied for the lead in scoring for us so he's quietly gone about scoring 12 points (4g, 8a) in 8 games including 2 last night. i'm not sure thats necessarily "invisible".

owen beck has 10pts in 8 games.

personally i think beck is a better 2 way player so maybe that's why you find him more noticeable, but hayes is a higher skilled scorer/finisher imo.
Also a fair assessment. Maybe invisible wasn't the right word, but way less noticeable. I'm not sure how many of those were against guelph, but I agree, beck plays a two-way, and much more physical playoff type game. Which we need lol

Reactions: dirty12

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I don't find Beck is very physical. He backchecks well and checks tightly, but I wouldn't call him physical? Where are the hits that everyone says he is known for?

Hayes scored 7 points in 4 games vs. Guelph, and 5 points in 4 games vs. Sag (Beck is 3 points in 4 games vs. the Soo).

Reactions: DWI Dale

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
I don't find Beck is very physical. He backchecks well and checks tightly, but I wouldn't call him physical? Where are the hits that everyone says he is known for?

Hayes scored 7 points in 4 games vs. Guelph, and 5 points in 4 games vs. Sag (Beck is 3 points in 4 games vs. the Soo).
playing physical is more than just hitting. he's in your face and causing a ruckus. not hiding in the corner shying away from contact.

I'm not looking to to go back and forth. i just said i'm not too sure about hayes vs. beck and that's where i'll leave it.

Reactions: DWI Dale

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
If the Hounds have any balls ! Let's hope the Rangers aren't done yet !
Rangers have no defense left to speak of. Only two vets left back there. Rest are rookies and a 16 year old rookie forward playing D. My hope is the Hounds win this series and play the Knights. Hounds if healthy look like the team to beat.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
Three question marks on saginaw side :
status of Parekh , Hache, Oke,
without argueably there 2 best D the hounds do have a shot .
As for the hounds :
status of Jack Beck also important.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Most important game of the playoffs so far coming up tomorrow. Game 5. Whoever wins forces the other team to win 6&7. Hopefully the hounds come out flying.

Would of been hilarious if Charlie laid the net down after the shutout. 🥅😂🤣
He did

1713467082586.png

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

O.Beck has laid plenty of hard hits in the OHL, a couple of those he received 5 min for hitting too hard. He is probably just restrained knowing his value to the team on the ice and the consequences of playing pro-style hockey.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Whether or not he is capable, he hasn't really done it this series. So not really wearing down the D or forcing players to keep their head up to this point. With Hache likely out for a few games, maybe Beck or Forgione up their physical play?

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Whether or not he is capable, he hasn't really done it this series. So not really wearing down the D or forcing players to keep their head up to this point. With Hache likely out for a few games, maybe Beck or Forgione up their physical play?
Coach Dean and the players have mentioned how they are wearing down the Spirit or how they are really worn down on several occasions. I find it a bit odd because Saginaw isn't playing like that, but maybe they know something that we don't.

93MemCup

Apr 10, 2014
If charlie didn't see the puck as a beach ball tonight, I'd be surprised. I haven't seem him that focused ever. He was exceptional tonight.

Bryce was fantastic. Our defence was fantastic. Frasca is a Mac truck.

And i have said it before, but I have to say it again. Brady Martin is going to be a gem. I don't remember a 16 year old in the soo since thornton that has his skill set, and the physicality to go with it. He is not afraid to hit, or get hit, and make smart, smart plays. Excited for this kids future.
Do you see Gibson becoming Captain next year after BMB graduates.? Or does Brady get anointed the following season? I see Gibson a huge sell piece at TD

Jay R

Mar 30, 2024
Do you see Gibson becoming Captain next year after BMB graduates.? Or does Brady get anointed the following season? I see Gibson a huge sell piece at TD
I'd be perfectly fine with Gibby as the captain. There are couple guys that show captain material I think Cloutier is there also guy lays everything on the line every shift

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
A couple good OA options too in Allard and Carlisle. Just depends who is trade bait.

Granted I don't get to see who are natural leaders in the room.

Last edited:

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Maybe till the deadline anyway lol. I bet Martin is the captain by his 18 year old year tho.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Well no matter what happens in this series, at least we aren't Sudbury. What an embarrassing performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad