SSM Greyhounds 2023 - 2024 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
guelph have 3 defensemen who are nhl draft picks. They play most of the minutes.
Michael Buchinger - 3RD round Selection of the St. Louis blues plays a ton of minutes ( probably
there best d man )
Cam Allen, 5th round selection of the washington capitals. ( 2nd best d man on team )
Chandler Romeo , 7th round selection of ottawa senators. big d man at 6'6" noticeable presence out
there.
Topp rowan, thomas budnick, & beauchesne round out 4, 5, & 6.
they do have a couple of other giants on D but haven't played much this season.
ryan o'dell is 6'6 & grant spada is 6'5".
I don't think anyone is calling into question Guelph has a good defensive core, the issue is up front where they scored the 4th fewest in the regular season, ahead of 3 teams that didn't make the playoffs

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
I don't think anyone is calling into question Guelph has a good defensive core, the issue is up front where they scored the 4th fewest in the regular season, ahead of 3 teams that didn't make the playoffs

not to mention most of their roster has a negative +/-

if we are clicking they will not be able to contain our offense.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
As I said earlier, I think we just need to manage the puck. If we start cheating to create offense, Guelph might make us pay through turnovers. But if we stay disciplined, I think Guelph is going to have a hard time generating offense. It might be a more boring style of game to watch, but we should have no trouble out-chancing them as we should be able to create a lot more chances even when Guelph has numbers back.

Reactions: nelli27 and HF92

OHLfan200

Nov 28, 2017
It hasn't been touched on much from what I can see, but is the loss of Gillespie going to really hamper Guelph from making this a close series, or will the Hounds steam roll Slavik?

Offlay pessimistic thinking the Hounds will be swept in Round 1😅
Reverse psychology 🙃 ?? I have a wall up okay. I’m guarding my heart

OHLfan200

Nov 28, 2017
I just truly think it comes down to execution. If Hounds execute, they win in 5. If they dick around, they’ll have trouble. Sounds cliche, but this team is far from perfect. Super dangerous though

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
IMG_5385.jpeg

JRHockeyBUZZZ

Mar 28, 2024
Happy Playoff Gameday!! Game 1 Between the (3rd) Soo Greyhounds an (6th) Guelph Storm.
Series is set to kickoff at 7:07 tonight at the GFL Memorial Gardens. Soo's record vs the Storm this year is 3-0-1 While the Storm sit 1-3-0. Most recent meeting was at the gardens on March 8, Soo took that by a score of 3-1.

This series is the tale of an old fashioned debate.. Offense or Defense? Greyhounds are coming into the Post Season carrying 10 different 40 Point getters. While Guelph comes in with 5. Guelph comes in with a strong Blue line bolstering the big 3 of Buchinger, Allen & Romeo. Guelph is lead up front by Draft eligible London, ON Native, Jett Luchanko whos put up 74 points in his 68 Games. Braeden Bowman the overage captain for Guelph is going to be relied upon heavy at times for his experience as well as his ability to find the back of the net. Bowman lead the storm with 37 Goals this season. Charlie Paquette is an interesting player to keep an eye on as he has put up 8 Points in his previous 9 games. The Big question for the Storm is goaltending. Gillespie did not travel up North with the team, So it looks like for at least Games 1&2 We will be looking @ Slovak goalie Damian Slavik; Slavik played 23 Games has a 3.05 GAA & .891 Sv% a record of 10-6-3.

On The other side for the Hounds; they will be looking to their 85 Point man Jack Beck to continue his ways into the post season. Gavin Hayes and his experience coming over from Flint where he has had some deep play-off runs, Plus add in his 40 Points in 28 Games.. Bryce McConnell-Barker who is just under a point per game this season looks to continue his pace into this post season and help propel this team to the promise land.. aka Saginaw Michigan in May..

Greyhounds will likely turn to Schenkel in net who backstopped these same Hounds to a win against Guelph just a few weeks ago where he stopped 23 out of the 24 shots sent his way.

My prediction for this series is as follow; The series will playout tighter than what most believe- I think Guelph will be able to steal some games and play stingy enough defensively that the Soo firepower is suppressed for long stretches. I Believe if Guelph is able to take 1 of 2 on the road and bring it back to the Sleeman at 1-1 we could See Gillespie return. With that being said i think the Greyhounds are too deep upfront I believe the Soo Greyhounds will take out the Storm in 6 games.

Good luck to both teams & Both fan bases! Should Be fun!

Reactions: HF92

OHLfan200

Nov 28, 2017
Bit of a slow start. Hopefully Beck is okay. Crazy there wasn’t a call. His helmet fell off? 😦

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Schenkel is fine. Team seems thrown off by Guelphs physicality.

Responding better now.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Finally in the 3rd, Greyhounds getting close to playing Greyhound brand hockey.

Martin playing with a ton of confidence.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
nice to see alllard get one.

i wonder if the league will look at that hit on beck. we've seen similar hits lead to suspensions, not that i expect any consistency.

Reactions: OHLfan200

OHLfan200

Nov 28, 2017
Anyone catch what Karki did to earn the unsportsmanlike? Lol, less than a week ago he earned the teams most gentlemanly player award!
Swore in Finnish? Lol. Bunch of fans were saying exactly what you said in our section. Great push back in the 2nd. Need to keep using speed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad