Proposal: Sprong to NJD

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
No interest. The Pens already have so many defensemen that they're likely scratching Maatta tonight, and Sprong's not only put up elite production at every previous level, he has 5 points in his last 10 NHL games.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I am assuming Lovejoy is moved sometime this year (some youngster proves he can play etc) more than likely at TDL if everyone is healthy. At a minimum hes not brought back.
With all that said, that leaves Jersey with a right side that looks like:
Vatanen
Severson
Santini

Which I am ok with. Unless we bring in a #1 RHD to push everyone down (doubt this, need LHD and RW before that) I think Shero believes he has his right side.
Mueller can play his off side but I don't see the need.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
I wouldn't do this trade, but we're going to have to give Sprong a shot to play higher up in the line up or we're just wasting him down their on the 4th line. He'd be better off in the AHL playing top line minutes then wasting away as a checking forward on line 4.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I wouldn't do this trade, but we're going to have to give Sprong a shot to play higher up in the line up or we're just wasting him down their on the 4th line. He'd be better off in the AHL playing top line minutes then wasting away as a checking forward on line 4.

Sprong's no longer waiver-exempt, so he'd be snatched up by another team about .5 seconds after being sent down.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yep. Which is why we shoulda started him in the AHL and brought him up after a successful start. The 4th line does NOT suit Sprong and it is a waste of his talent.

Injuries and lineup changes are inevitable, so he will get his shot eventually. For now, Sprong is still finding ways to put up points.

He’s on pace for 82 points!

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yep. Which is why we shoulda started him in the AHL and brought him up after a successful start. The 4th line does NOT suit Sprong and it is a waste of his talent.

Sprong could not have started this year in the AHL because as soon as he was assigned he'd have been immediately snatched up.

The only way the Pens could have avoided this is by not playing him past the 9 game threshold back in '15-'16, which started his waiver eligibility clock ticking.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Sprong could not have started this year in the AHL because as soon as he was assigned he'd have been immediately snatched up.

The only way the Pens could have avoided this is by not playing him past the 9 game threshold back in '15-'16, which started his waiver eligibility clock ticking.
It seems playing him for 18 games then returning him to the CHL was a mistake(to start the clock). But the kid has skill so at least play him with other skilled guys to get the most out of him.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
It seems playing him for 18 games then returning him to the CHL was a mistake(to start the clock). But the kid has skill so at least play him with other skilled guys to get the most out of him.
That year it was a case of JR liking him but Johnston not so much. Too bad Sully doesn’t seem to be a huge fan either. Sprong has very high upside.

Reactions: Tripod

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Yep. Agreed on all counts.

He ought to be a top 9 regular.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
What would a likely PIT ask from BUF be?

Sprong shouldn't be on the block period.

The Pens don't need anything right now and he's a very skilled young player on an ELC with the realistic potential to slide into Kessel's role if we decide to move on from him over the next year or two.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Daniel Sprong for Steve Santini + Blake Speers

Pens get a cost controlled D and the devils bank on the upside of sprong and get a RW

While I'm a big fan of both of those guys... I'm not interested in moving Sprong, nor do we need another D at this point in time (already carrying 8). So the value is probably there (based on what Sprong has shown so far), but the need for Pittsburgh isn't.

At this point in time, Pittsburgh's only real need is on LW (top 9 LW with skill, speed and a physical game).

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Injuries and lineup changes are inevitable, so he will get his shot eventually. For now, Sprong is still finding ways to put up points.

He’s on pace for 82 points!

Devils have 6 guys on pace for 82, and that's not counting the three guys on pace for 164! With offense like that who needs more depth!? :)

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
No interest. The Pens already have so many defensemen that they're likely scratching Maatta tonight, and Sprong's not only put up elite production at every previous level, he has 5 points in his last 10 NHL games.

Dude, Sprong is a dud. He won the position on the roster by default. His play in the exhibition season wasn't good enough to win the position on merit. Stop overrating him.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I mean, I guess I'd do this. I don't think Sprong is really an upgrade over what we have at this point, but I think he has more upside than Noesen.

If not, whatever, I'm not very high on Speers and Santini is whatever.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
While I'm a big fan of both of those guys... I'm not interested in moving Sprong, nor do we need another D at this point in time (already carrying 8). So the value is probably there (based on what Sprong has shown so far), but the need for Pittsburgh isn't.

At this point in time, Pittsburgh's only real need is on LW (top 9 LW with skill, speed and a physical game).

Sounds like Ryan Dzingel.

Reactions: Riptide

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Speers is a nothing asset and the Penguins already have too many waiver eligible defensemen, so I'm not sure what this does for them at all. Neither player is an upgrade on what they have already, and they'd trading Sprong to get that.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Pens aren't in a position to trade right now. They're stacked at every position, and their depth is crazy good. Only thing the organization is lacking is good prospects, and trading away our best prospect right now makes no sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad