Blue Jays Discussion: So long Pillar, and thanks for all the catches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
So with Norris and Axford likely making the team who do you think comes off the 40 man?

Two easy guesses are Phelps and Travis going to the 60 day DL but i dont think Phelps' injury is serious is enough but Travis' might be.

Next one is likely Pompey. A 26 year old Jonathan Davis is an option too. Luciano is a natural choice as well even with the Jays having long term plans for him, he just looks over matched.

EDIT: Well if those injuries are more than minor then Axford doesnt make the team and Norris gets his spot.

Can they do a DL stint retroactive to last year for Phelps? I really don't know how that would work.

I would like to see Davis get a second chance at AAA because I can see him as a good fourth OF. Good CF defense, good speed, some upside with the bat...

I just hope only one of Axford or Norris makes the team, especially if keeping both means having to DFA a younger fringe roster player. If they can DL both Phelps and Travis then it doesn't really matter one way or the other, I guess.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
maybe injuries will save us from ourselves. there is no need to be guaranteeing all these fungible pen arms roster spot. makes no sense at all.

I doubt anyone is guaranteed anything. Even if they get spots, they're cheap and easy to cut if they don't perform.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
So Fangraphs has incorporated catcher framing into WAR, which is great because we no longer have to add it at some kind of intangible caveat when looking at players.

WAR Update: Catcher Framing!

Key point that isn't included in this article: Blue Jays catchers in 2018 ranked third with 4.8 fWAR. Luke Maile was 11th in baseball with 2.2 fWAR despite playing in just 68 games. On a per-PA basis, he was in the conversation for the best catcher in the league, just ahead of Grandal and Realmuto.

Of course, he's definitely not this good - the bat, in particular, will likely regress significantly - but maybe he's actually kind of a good backup. At the very least, he has decent value, and he's not worth cutting altogether to force McGuire onto the roster.

Did you forget the sacasm emoji?

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Grichuk I get - he's got a track record of being a quality hitter who, while he doesnt have great obp, does see a lot of pitches.

I don't really get the McKinney part, but hey I guess options are limited.

In his brief stint last year, McKinney had similar offensive numbers with a better OBP and saw more pitches. I don't think either is a very good fit as a leadoff hitter, but I don't think one is much better than the other.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
what the jays should be doing with vladdy:'

Jeff Passan
@JeffPassan
Top outfield prospect Eloy Jimenez and the Chicago White Sox are finalizing a long-term deal, league sources tell ESPN.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Gomez says the contract will check in at $65MM to $70MM in total value over eight years,

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I bet we would love to, but the son of a player who made over $100 million and the bonus he got for himself means he's probably not hurting for the long term security that someone else may.

Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I bet we would love to, but the son of a player who made over $100 million and the bonus he got for himself means he's probably not hurting for the long term security that someone else may.

Yeah, an extension like that - plus a little extra because Vlad is the best - would be amazing, but there's very little incentive for Vlad to do that. No matter what they offer, he can afford to bet on himself because if it backfires, he'll be fine.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I mean obviously it would be ideal to do that with Vlad but there is a reason why players with zero service time have signed deals like that 3 times ever....because most players don't want to do it.

Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Yeah, an extension like that - plus a little extra because Vlad is the best - would be amazing, but there's very little incentive for Vlad to do that. No matter what they offer, he can afford to bet on himself because if it backfires, he'll be fine.

His dad's money is his dad's money. No guarantee that he'll get any of it, and if he does, it might not be for 40 years.

Vlad definitely has something to worry about, and that's his health. He's already getting hit by injuries, and with his body type, no one knows how he'll hold up over time.

Shapiro and Atkins should have some leverage here.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
His dad's money is his dad's money. No guarantee that he'll get any of it, and if he does, it might not be for 40 years.

Vlad definitely has something to worry about, and that's his health. He's already getting hit by injuries, and with his body type, no one knows how he'll hold up over time.

He made $3.9 million when he signed. I think he will survive to reach his Arb years unless we try to pay him $200 million.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Eloy got less than i thought; 43M over 6 years with 2 club options worth 32M in total. I thought it was 65-70M guaranteed over 8 years. To get him to sign for a guaranteed 43 with flexibility in year 7 and 8 - that is that much better. more leverage for the FO if Vlad is interested in a deal like this.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
My near lock of the off-season was Shapiro/Atkins bringing in Josh Tomlin as a FA. Tomlin signed with the Brewers but just got released. Unless there are more injuries Tomlin isnt going to be a Jay but i still have a chance of this prediction becoming true.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Of course it's his dad's money, but coming from an absurdly rich family usually gives people advantages those from less wealthy families tend not to have.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
i dont know what hill youre dying on with your quotes but get at me when you figure it out.

to recap:
- Martin didnt like ppl playing Fortnite
- They made a rule getting rid of fortnite
- I said that these players dont need to be babied, have a lot of down time and who cares about games. If you truly think it effects them, you (whoever reads this and thinks this) is a loser.
- You said they should be pros yada yada
- I said they make millions to hit a ball, who gives a **** about a game. I also brought up how the Red Sox, who won the World Series, played fortnite so much they are in a promo for Fortnite, and it didnt effect their ability to win a title. If the winning team doesnt care, why should any other team?

We good? We on the same page?

You're wrong on that first two point. Martin was only of the people playing video game DURING the game when he wasn't playing.

They have banned it in the 1 hour prior to first pitch. Ie you can play up until 5:59 pm

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
He made $3.9 million when he signed. I think he will survive to reach his Arb years unless we try to pay him $200 million.

It was a record bonus for the international signing, and he was 15 I think.

I remember Andrew Mccutchen talking about how jealous (and sort of pissed off) that these internationals can make millions at 15 or 16 and he has to wait until he's 19.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Can someone explain what McKinney did this spring to make the team other than being acquired for JA Happ and having to make that trade look good?

He's hitting .250 after hitting .252 in a small sample in September, and his minor league track record doesn't scream ready for the majors any more than say Alford who is more deserving.

Is it a case of he's just a fungible prospect who we should give a shot since we don't really care about the possibility of screwing up his development by bringing him up before he's ready, unlike Alford who could actually be a division 1 regular?

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Can someone explain what McKinney did this spring to make the team other than being acquired for JA Happ and having to make that trade look good?

He's hitting .250 after hitting .252 in a small sample in September, and his minor league track record doesn't scream ready for the majors any more than say Alford who is more deserving.

Is it a case of he's just a fungible prospect who we should give a shot since we don't really care about the possibility of screwing up his development by bringing him up before he's ready, unlike Alford who could actually be a division 1 regular?

Strong side of a platoon and he has unlocked big game power.

Alford's a wait and see until he puts together a solid performance against non-AA opponents.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad