OT: Spring has sprung...

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
1 - COVID sucks.
2 - I'm so glad I have 3 shots to keep this from being worse.

The first time I caught it, I was fine. I only noticed something was off because I couldn’t taste anything.

The second time it f***ed me up. I caught it in January and I only started feeling more like myself last month. It was so odd being that exhausted. I went from being able to work 8 hours a day doing construction to walking down the hall and being wiped out.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The first time I caught it, I was fine. I only noticed something was off because I couldn’t taste anything.

The second time it f***ed me up. I caught it in January and I only started feeling more like myself last month. It was so odd being that exhausted. I went from being able to work 8 hours a day doing construction to walking down the hall and being wiped out.
Oh wow, sorry you're going through that. Glad you're starting to feel more like yourself. This virus is a savage bastard. I'm thankful we live in the 21st century and had vaccines to help the climb to population wide immunity but- as you described- it can still be a nasty little sucker even for those vaccinated and/or previously infected.

Reactions: Chainshot

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Oh wow, sorry you're going through that. Glad you're starting to feel more like yourself. This virus is a savage bastard. I'm thankful we live in the 21st century and had vaccines to help the climb to population wide immunity but- as you described- it can still be a nasty little sucker even for those vaccinated and/or previously infected.

I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. I’ve always been an energetic person, so the fact that I haven’t been has been hard. Thankfully that’s just the only problem I’ve had with it, because it could have been worse because of prior health issues.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
When I was 7yo, we had to worry about global thermonuclear war...

🤷

Worst I ever got in trouble in elementary school was for telling a third grade teacher that lining up, facing the wall with our heads down was just going to leave a weird mural if this was an actual nuclear war during a fallout drill. She got PO'd and sent me to the office for scaring the children... during a drill about possible thermonuclear war. That's some next level silliness IMO.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Worst I ever got in trouble in elementary school was for telling a third grade teacher that lining up, facing the wall with our heads down was just going to leave a weird mural if this was an actual nuclear war during a fallout drill. She got PO'd and sent me to the office for scaring the children... during a drill about possible thermonuclear war. That's some next level silliness IMO.
We also were gathered together to watch shuttle launches until Challenger...

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I was home watching that one - had the week off due to midterms that people with more than a 90 average didn't need to take.

Speaking of scaring people, we also wheeled a TV into our classrooms to watch coverage of the Reagan assassination attempt, including the images of those around him being shot constantly being replayed. :eek:

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
1 - COVID sucks.
2 - I'm so glad I have 3 shots to keep this from being worse.
Same. Tested positive on Wednesday and I was wiped out that day.

Last 2 days have been easier relatively speaking but different symptoms coming and going. Right now it’s a groggy head, achy and sore in my shoulders and back, and low energy. Luckily I have been able to still work the past 2 days since I do full time remote.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
I grew up in that sweet spot post Cold War mostly pre Columbine (well, that was 99 and I graduated in 2000)
Same. I went to a small catholic school :confused: for most of my school life. I remember when I was in 8th grade a Walmart not too far from my school got robbed by like 8 guys early in the morning.

My school’s solution was to rotate 8th graders in 30 minute shifts at the 2 entry doors, which there was one at each end of the building and only let people in who we knew. This was long before the days of all entry doors being licked, people buzzed into school etc.. It wasn’t uncommon to see a mom or dad pop into a classroom and give a student something they forgot with out ever going to the office or anything.

I’ve been thinking about that a lot lately and how drastically the world and schools have changed in the the past 25ish years.

• Wow
Reactions: oldgoalie

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Same. Tested positive on Wednesday and I was wiped out that day.

Last 2 days have been easier relatively speaking but different symptoms coming and going. Right now it’s a groggy head, achy and sore in my shoulders and back, and low energy. Luckily I have been able to still work the past 2 days since I do full time remote.

Good luck. I still have days like that and I'm nearly a month in. Luckily I didn't have to deal with it from an unvaccinated stance. And since I have had lung issues most of my life, I was worried it would just straight up kill me.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
COVID recovery for today - dozed off on the couch last night and woke up at 6:30 when the dog needed to go out. Woke up, shifted to the bed, feel back asleep with the doggo and GF all cuddled up with me. Slept another FIVE HOURS this morning. Just getting to my morning cup of java and it's already afternoon. I'm just wiped the f*** out all the time.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Same. That ended when I was 8 though! Even if my high school I went to but rarely attended was an actual bomb shelter
Did the hallway equivalent of the duck and cover drills through 2nd grade. I’ve been in my Junior and senior highs basement bomb shelters, but not the elementary school one. All schools built in 1960s so they were designed and signed with the black and yellow signs.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
My best friend in high school had an uncle who wrote for Fangoria (usually doing the Dr Zyclops movie reviews) and had quite the twisted sense of humor. He was at home with his parents and uncle watching the news and when footage of the disaster aired he said " I think I see a shoe!". But the actual truth as to how they died was far more horrific: They survived the blast but were killed by either pressure loss or on impact when they hit the ocean.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
Speaking of scaring people, we also wheeled a TV into our classrooms to watch coverage of the Reagan assassination attempt, including the images of those around him being shot constantly being replayed. :eek:
Buddy there bought a couple of wheel guns from a place I would go to that sold decent used guitars out of Lubbock. Used in the attempt. Lot of trouble came of it.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I made the mistake of watching my first NBA game in many years and had to listen to how the great refs keep track of how many fouls/technicals a player has so they can avoid ejecting him. The poor refs call it by the book.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
COVIDish update - went on the longest walk I've taken since getting this crud a month ago now at about 2.5 miles with a stop at a local coffee shop along the way. I stayed outside with the dog while the GF went in to get some iced beverages. It was nice to be mobile.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
I made the mistake of watching my first NBA game in many years and had to listen to how the great refs keep track of how many fouls/technicals a player has so they can avoid ejecting him. The poor refs call it by the book.
never seen a game, in person, or on TV, so my frame of reference is "huh?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad