Spring football counting on fans to tune into XFL and USFL games

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I mean, best of luck to them but even NCAA football is getting stale for me. Football in the Spring is just weird.

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
Why do people keep thinking that spring football is a good idea? Hasn't the long history of utter failure of the concept been enough to finally get people to give up on the idea?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Why do people keep thinking that spring football is a good idea? Hasn't the long history of utter failure of the concept been enough to finally get people to give up on the idea?
Ideally you’d love to see some type of agreement with the nfl. Where basically there are 8 teams and an entire division supplies players for each team with their PS players since they have 16 of them this 64 players less vets.

You ideally want to use players who have just been on the PS the whole season or got into the lineup 3 times or less during the season to give them reps. A short season of 8-10 games.

But I really think there isn’t a market for 2 spring leagues and football going that late.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Still no Chicago team for either league, so I frankly still don't care. At least if there was a Chicago team, I'd maybe have a passing interest in either, but as it stands now these leagues seem to be interested in automatically having a national brand despite not remotely having a brand appeal nor having a footprint where most people live. All for a staggeringly low quality version of the game.

Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
Still no Chicago team for either league, so I frankly still don't care. At least if there was a Chicago team, I'd maybe have a passing interest in either, but as it stands now these leagues seem to be interested in automatically having a national brand despite not remotely having a brand appeal nor having a footprint where most people live. All for a staggeringly low quality version of the game.
Baby steps

Reaser

May 19, 2021
St. Louis just had 38k people show up for their game yesterday. I'd say that's great progress. It was fun to watch on tv because the crowd was into it.

STL wasn't really surprising. They averaged roughly 28.5k for the previous incarnation of the XFL. Tickets are pretty cheap, too.

The consensus before the season was; "this will work in STL, will it work anywhere else?"

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
STL is a legit NFL market that got jobbed hardcore by Kroenke. This is them being football fans just as much as it’s the market collectively trying to show a prospective NFL buyer that their market works for pro football.

And if anything, the league waiting this long to have a home game in their strongest market is inane.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019

ESPN announced Monday that it has moved a third XFL game off of FX, replacing the network’s primetime DC-Orlando game April 2 with a St. Louis-Houston matinee on ESPN. DC-Orlando will now air on ESPN April 1 in a window originally set aside of San Antonio-Vegas, which moves up to ESPN2 in an afternoon window originally occupied by St. Louis-Houston.

NBC is set to carry a primetime game following the Kentucky Derby on May 6 and also has a pair of primetime playoff games — including the championship on July 1. FOX has six primetime games, including three straight on Sunday nights in June.

The USFL will get a slot that usually belong to the Stanley Cup Playoffs

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
STL is a legit NFL market that got jobbed hardcore by Kroenke. This is them being football fans just as much as it’s the market collectively trying to show a prospective NFL buyer that their market works for pro football.

And if anything, the league waiting this long to have a home game in their strongest market is inane.
Funny they lost 2 football teams and they’re called “ hardcore” while LA continues to get crapped on for losing team . I hate double standards.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Funny they lost 2 football teams and they’re called “ hardcore” while LA continues to get crapped on for losing team . I hate double standards.

That'd be a good point if I had said anything negative about LA as a market, but even beyond that there's a pretty big world of difference between two teams leaving the second largest market for much smaller markets compared to a team leaving during an economic downswing for a faster growing market (Cardinals) and a team leaving a market merely because the owner wanted to be the big boy in a larger market (Rams).

And bigger markets attract greater scrutiny and ridicule than smaller markets. Them's the breaks.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH

ESPN announced Monday that it has moved a third XFL game off of FX, replacing the network’s primetime DC-Orlando game April 2 with a St. Louis-Houston matinee on ESPN. DC-Orlando will now air on ESPN April 1 in a window originally set aside of San Antonio-Vegas, which moves up to ESPN2 in an afternoon window originally occupied by St. Louis-Houston.

NBC is set to carry a primetime game following the Kentucky Derby on May 6 and also has a pair of primetime playoff games — including the championship on July 1. FOX has six primetime games, including three straight on Sunday nights in June.

The USFL will get a slot that usually belong to the Stanley Cup Playoffs
The XFL gets the post Kentucky Derby slot? Could be big ratings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad