Spring Camps MidgetAAA, Junior A & B - are they just cash grabs?

19yrsandcounting

Feb 9, 2011
Alberta
I would really appreciate some advice. My 15 yr. old son has received a number of invites (Midget AAA, Junior A and Junior B) and I'm just wondering if it is worth it to go. Some people are telling me they are just cash grabs. Some say go get seen. Some say nobody important watches these. Does anybody really know? Will a good showing at these spring camps make a difference come fall tryouts?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Why would you not go to camps at 15? What level did your son play at the previous year and how large was his role at those levels?

19yrsandcounting

Feb 9, 2011
Alberta
spring camps

Other than the obvious (ice time, new experience, etc.), what is the benefit of these camps? And how do you choose which are good to go to - Junior A, B, Midget AAA, etc. Please forgive my naivety. I would like to choose wisely, some of them are on conflicting dates.

Last edited:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Junior A is the highest level then probably midget triple aaa. Actually that could vary based on where you live. Going to these camps get your foot in the door. If you have an impressive camp and go play elsewhere they are familiar with you and can watch you in the future.

Clarke

Aug 21, 2008
Toronto
I believe i went to my first camp at 16 when i felt i had a legitimate chance to make the team, i only went to one that year to see how far off i was. It was the next year i went to 3 or 4 jr ones where i made it to main camp from it.

They arent really a money grab if your kid is actually playing at a skilled level of hockey because there is always someone watching. Unfortunatley they are sent out to everyone and you do get kids there that probably didn't play rep. For those kids it's a money grab.

Also try to know the background of the team your attending... if your kid is a goalie and they have two 18 year olds returning, it's probably better to look elsewhere.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
My friend played Jr. C for a year when he was 16 and then got invited to some OJHL camps, he didn't go though cause he said that the difference in the speed and skill was too much for him to overcome.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
I would really appreciate some advice. My 15 yr. old son has received a number of invites (Midget AAA, Junior A and Junior B) and I'm just wondering if it is worth it to go. Some people are telling me they are just cash grabs. Some say go get seen. Some say nobody important watches these. Does anybody really know? Will a good showing at these spring camps make a difference come fall tryouts?

living in alberta, i played aaa, and jr.a

wouldn't bother with going to a jr.b summer camp, didnt know they had any

would highly recommend going to the midget aaa one, but he should be playing minor midget aaa, midget aa, bantam aaa, aa, if he's playing in a house league not really a point, probably not going to get looked at, but could be a great conditioning boost.

the aaa system feeds the jr.a system, with the 15 year olds currently playing aaa usually heading off to the W, some standout 16 year olds may go a year later, or sometimes young 16/17 year olds from jr.a make the jump to the W, if hes playing midget aa theres a small chance he moves onto jr.a so may as well go to jr.a camps if hes still into the hockey heavily.

some coaches will look into these more than others, usually AAA teams have a good idea who their team is going to be next year, barring a few kids making a higher level or some surprise players putting in some off season work,jr.a is much of the same, but will rely more on the fall camp for sure.

a good showing might get a player penciled or noticed, but they'll be under the microscope at fall camp, but like i said not always the case with every team

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
If you think your son has a realistic shot at making any of these teams, take him to these camps. There's usually a player or two that comes out of nowhere to land a roster spot on these teams.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
absolutely, especially junior A, if your kid is looking at a college rout, alot of NCAA teams scout out of junior A. my brother was scouted to minnesota state university, recieved a full hockey scholarship, out of the MJHL. junior B, not so much unless you want your kid to learn how to fight his way through hockey.

willyjagr

Nov 27, 2004
edmonton
Yes and no they are a money grab, for some that have no shot of making the team it is a money grab. But then there are those that use it to get noticed and invited to main camp.

Now with which one to go to it will depend on which position he plays(that teams depth in that position), what level he played previously, and where he wants to play. I would rate it with Junior A being most important, then Midget AAA, and then Junior B. Now with that said it really depends on what league the Junior B team(s) is in as that can change it with Midget AAA. If it is one of the alberta leagues then I would ignore it for the most part unless he wants the icetime/experience. But if it is in the KIJHL out in BC then I would rate that higher/equal to Midget AAA. I say this for the most part their Midget AAA programs are pretty weak and prospects for Junior A and Major will play in the KIJHL instead along with the older guys who didn't make it/didn't want to move away from home.

19yrsandcounting

Feb 9, 2011
Alberta
Wow thanks everyone, lots of good info, we will read over and over to digest. And yes he played minor midget this year, goalie, not a house player but not a "make midget aaa as a first year" player either. He is catching up though through hard work. I didn't realize that about Jr.B in Alberta. And was surprised someone got looked at in Junior C? I thought that was kind of a "pre-beer league league haha. I guess if he goes and adjusts to the speed then he's accomplished something and got the icetime he wouldn't otherwise have at this time of year. And if someone notices, bonus :).

19yrsandcounting

Feb 9, 2011
Alberta
how good are you at politics?
Haha funny question. I could use a "hockey politics for dummies" book. Having said that, I don't want to be "that guy" whose child gets on teams because of his parents, he needs to be able to hold his head up and say he got where he got on his own merit.

RetiredHockeyDad

Nov 27, 2009
Wow thanks everyone, lots of good info, we will read over and over to digest. And yes he played minor midget this year, goalie, not a house player but not a "make midget aaa as a first year" player either. He is catching up though through hard work. I didn't realize that about Jr.B in Alberta. And was surprised someone got looked at in Junior C? I thought that was kind of a "pre-beer league league haha. I guess if he goes and adjusts to the speed then he's accomplished something and got the icetime he wouldn't otherwise have at this time of year. And if someone notices, bonus :).

Junior B and Junior C in ON are different than Junior B and Junior C in AB. In AB, very few players move from Junior B to Junior A and even fewer (probably none) to WHL. Junior B in BC, specifically the KIJHL, is a much better "stepping stone" to Junior A than the CJHL in Edmonton. Junior C in AB is pre-Beer league hockey. I suggest your son attend the Midget AAA camp because that is the team he needs to make next year. I also suggest he attend a couple of Junior A camps to "get his foot in the door" and to figure out which club he is interested in.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00