Spring 2017 Prospect Poll: #6

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
All prospects who fit the HF prospect critera are included.

ELIGIBILITY
-In his Age-24 season with fewer than 65 games for a skater (or 45 games for a goalie).

-If signed out of Europe or the NCAA at age 22 or older, fewer than 65 (skaters) or 45 (goalies) games within three years of signing.

RULES
Each poll runs 24 hours and is public. Vote for your choice and nominate a prospect from the list below to replace that player on the subsequent poll.

If there is a tie in the Top 10, there will be a run-off and the losing prospect will be returned to the pool for the next vote. Outside the Top 10, the tie will hold, the two highest Adds will be added and we'll move on.

PROSPECT RANKINGS
In the past, we've also done skater-only and goalie-only threads, as well as aggregate-type of rankings. If someone is interested, they are welcome to inherit that responsibility.

Spring 2017 Top 20
1. Alexander Nylander, LW: (--) 71 of 90 votes, 78.89% (runner up: Brendan Guhle, 13 votes)
2. Brendan Guhle, D: (+1) 59 of 80 votes, 73.75% (runner up: Rasmus Asplund, 12 votes)
3. Rasmus Asplund, C: (+2) 40 of 84 votes, 47.62% (runner up: Justin Bailey, 28 votes)
4. Justin Bailey, RW: (-2) 57 of 84 votes, 67.86% (runner up: Nick Baptiste, 9 votes)
5. Cal Petersen, G: (+2) 17 of 53 votes, 32.08% (runner up: Nick Baptiste, 13 votes)

PROSPECTS ELIGIBLE TO BE ADDED
G: Jonas Johansson, Jason Kasdorf

D: Brady Austin, Mat Bodie, Vojtech Budik, Ivan Chukarov, Brycen Martin, Casey Nelson, Philip Nyberg, Austin Osmanski, Devante Stephens

F: Christopher Brown, Eric Cornel, Jean Dupuy, Vasily Glotov, Brandon Hagel, Connor Hurley, Vaclav Karabacek, Justin Kea, Sean Malone, Brett Murray, Victor Olofsson, Judd Peterson, Gustav Possler, Maxwell Willman

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I have Fasching (tied with Guhle) just a hair above Carrier and then Baptise.

Obviously Fasching's injury sucks, and his production hasn't been great, but look at Baptise and Carrier's first 40 games in Rochester, basically the same absentee production. It takes awhile to learn to produce at the pro level. End of the day I still love Fasching's high end potential enough to have him edge out those closer to being ready.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I knew traffic was down, but these polls show spartan participation already.

That said, I really like this tier for Sabre prospects. Of those still on the board, Fasching with the add going to Olofsson.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I have Fasching (tied with Guhle) just a hair above Carrier and then Baptise.

Obviously Fasching's injury sucks, and his production hasn't been great, but look at Baptise and Carrier's first 40 games in Rochester, basically the same absentee production. It takes awhile to learn to produce at the pro level. End of the day I still love Fasching's high end potential enough to have him edge out those closer to being ready.

Yep. Despite the seeming increase in guys having big AHL debuts, it's still the norm for prospects to struggle their first season or so, especially when the team is such a dumpster fire. Look at Nylander -- while younger, he is a better offensive prospect than the likes of Fasching, Bailey, and Carrier to say the least, yet his production is fairly pedestrian. Fasching is a very good prospect struggling through a rough season. Bailey, Fasching, Baptiste, and Carrier are still all very close as overall prospects in my mind. I went with Fasching this time. He has the potential to be a legitimately complete winger, from passing to scoring to hitting to defensive coverage.

Add Hagel. Looking at the list of adds... I sure as hell wish we drafted someone other than Hurley. So many good prospects left at that point.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yep. Despite the seeming increase in guys having big AHL debuts, it's still the norm for prospects to struggle their first season or so, especially when the team is such a dumpster fire. Look at Nylander -- while younger, he is a better offensive prospect than the likes of Fasching, Bailey, and Carrier to say the least, yet his production is fairly pedestrian. Fasching is a very good prospect struggling through a rough season. Bailey, Fasching, Baptiste, and Carrier are still all very close as overall prospects in my mind. I went with Fasching this time. He has the potential to be a legitimately complete winger, from passing to scoring to hitting to defensive coverage.

Add Hagel. Looking at the list of adds... I sure as hell wish we drafted someone other than Hurley. So many good prospects left at that point.

Agreed. Was hoping for growth and development, even some sort of Sheahan-lite. But... no.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I went Baptiste. I don't see that much separation between him and Bailey. Fasching is intriguing to me, but I think he's a riskier choice. Slightly concerned about his speed.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Agreed. Was hoping for growth and development, even some sort of Sheahan-lite. But... no.

Hurley has certainly been a disappointment, but I can't complain about the 2013 Buffalo draft:
Risto
Zadorov
Bailey
Baptiste
Petersen

Plus Compher (used to help acquire ROR) and Florentino. Possler was a good late round choice at the time too. It has the potential to wind up being one of Buffalo's better drafts (yeah, I know, we had a lot of picks).

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I still think Fasching is overrated, but I think a lot of these guys project similarly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad