Spray Painting a stick?

Briere Up There*

Yeah I wouldn't spray paint anywhere near where you put your gloves. It will come off.

Some kids in HS and junior would spray paint the bottom 4th or 3rd of their stick black. I guess to disguise the puck.

canuck44

Feb 24, 2010
Maybe I'm imagining things, but didn't Bauer start making the bottom part of their OPS's look kinda like it was spray painted? I think Patrick Kane was big into the spray painting his sticks.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Yeah I wouldn't spray paint anywhere near where you put your gloves. It will come off.

Some kids in HS and junior would spray paint the bottom 4th or 3rd of their stick black. I guess to disguise the puck.

I just want an all black stick with no markings and have another stick that I cut the blade off to use as a tester.

As far as the paint coming off, I think I'm just going to use clear tape and spiral the section my bottom hand will range through to prevent and paint transfer and keep it non-grippy.

hattrick3518

Jan 31, 2011
B-Ham
Anyone ever spray paint their stick?

If so, what is the texture of the stick after? Did the paint ever rub off onto the gloves?

I painted a couple of mine a while back, just the bottom 12" or so. The paint never got on my gloves, but it chipped off pretty easily.

Maybe I'm imagining things, but didn't Bauer start making the bottom part of their OPS's look kinda like it was spray painted? I think Patrick Kane was big into the spray painting his sticks.

Yeah the X:60 is black on the bottom, Easton in 06-07 I think had their SL's with blue and red bottoms... I remember Svatos in CO would always paint his sticks.

I just want an all black stick with no markings and have another stick that I cut the blade off to use as a tester.

As far as the paint coming off, I think I'm just going to use clear tape and spiral the section my bottom hand will range through to prevent and paint transfer and keep it non-grippy.

I have an all black stick, with no markings. Its a pro stock CCM V130, the stickers were peeling off, so I just eventually took them all off. I like the look, but I wouldn't really have ever thought to spray paint the stick. It was peeling off so I just took it all off so it would stop pissing me off.

densetsu

I used spraypaint and stencils to custom paint a goal stick of mine a few years back. My blocker palm was fine, there was no sign of the paint anywhere on it. The paint chipped easily, but other than that there were no ill effects. I used run-of-the-mill, multi-purpose spraypaint, nothing special.

I actually liked the chipping; I retired the stick after one season, and all the chips and skate cuts in the paint give it a very "Gerry Cheevers"-esque look.

SouthpawTRK

Sep 18, 2009
Northern California
if you apply a couple of thin layers of spray paint and then apply a thin coat of clear spray, it should prevent less chipping and reduce the chance of paint getting onto your gloves. i would just make sure that between each layer, let it dry thoroughly.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Wouldn't this add quite a bit of weight to the stick? Also, the chipping would be terrible. You would need to use a flex additive, like they use in plastic bumpers on automobiles so it doesn't chip every time the stick gets dinged.

SouthpawTRK

Sep 18, 2009
Northern California
sure it will definitely add some weight to the stick; but it would be fractional at most. the key thing is to use thin coats versus one heavy coat. same thing with the clear coat; one thin layer. the clear coat will help prevent some chipping, but it's still going to chip since it's not part of the original manufacturing process.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Here are the steps I took:

1. Sand it down really quickly.
2. Primer the the stick.
3. First coat
4. Second coat
5. Electric tape the shaft as I don't like any grip.

I like how simple it looks and the flex seems the same. I will do this for any two-piece sticks that dont match and any other sticks I want all black.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Yes, primer the stick. Let it dry. Then I used flat black. No paint came off onto my gloves, it's paint not a marker. I bought clear coat but never had a need for it. i guess if you want the glossy look it would be a good idea.

hattrick3518

Jan 31, 2011
B-Ham
I didn't ever properly paint mine, I just used regular gloss black paint and sprayed it on, it was going to chip anyways so I didn't care to spend alot of time on it.

GLG

Jan 10, 2011
Toronto, ON
I've never sprayed a hockey stick, however I spray paint my blade to match the shaft - see the attached photo ;-)

Last edited:

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
same as what most have said.....did a coat of paint and a coat of clear.....worked great, never rubbed off my gloves but chipped due to puck/sticks

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa

If so, what is the texture of the stick after? Did the paint ever rub off onto the gloves?

When I fall back on wood sticks, I always go Sherwood 5030 and always spray paint the whole thing with "flat black". No need to prime or sand. Just spray one coat and let the stick dry, and you'll have no problems with paint on your gloves (which I don't really get as a "problem" anyway). The texture isn't much different.

Composites might be a different story, but my stepfather does his up (that's who I got it from) and doesn't have a problem.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada

As long as your using a good quality spray paint, it shouldn't rub off. I'd give the stick atleast a week to dry. Probably alot longer than needed, but the longer the stick dries, the less likely the paint rubs off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad