Sprained Shoulder

FootKnight

This ****ing team
May 28, 2007
Well, I finally have an injury that is keeping me from hockey and it sucks. Carrying the puck into the zone, I leaned into the guy defending me and he leaned back, coming down on the top of my shoulder, I felt my shoulder pop and it went weak. Finished the game of course, but it hurt like hell that night and the next day, so I went to the doctor and got X-Rays and they showed it's just sprained. The doctor says 6-8 weeks and that sounds like the worst thing in the world. 2 months without playing?

I've pulled my groin before, banged up my foot badly blocking shots, and that kind of thing and I just took it easy on the ice while recovering from those, but I can't do that with this shoulder. It constantly hurts and any force with it hurts bad.

Does anyone have any experience with this? What can I do to make a quicker recovery?

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
Shoulders are aggravatingly slow to heal.. Best thing you can do for it is to stay off it. No hockey, no gym.

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
I separated my shoulder many years ago. I knew a world class trainer and went to see him the next day over my lunch hour. He felt around the shoulder and told me that it was separated. He then had me fully extend my left arm out to my side, while he had his hands on my shoulder. He told me to swing my arm arm up and bring it around so that the palm of my hand was on my chest. while doing that, he put my shoulder back in place. He told me to keep my hand where it was and then he taped me up. He told me to keep it taped for two weeks. I was back reffing three days after I saw him and I've never had a problem since then with my shoulder. He also told me to never let them put a needle in any of my joints.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I've got just a horrible back, and I'm just a little guy (average height at best) and I'm the one doing all the dirty work on the team, going in to corners, screening the goalie etc.

Que?

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
My back took 6 months to heal, and my shoulder is about 90% right now and is on month 3.

I'm 27...:laugh:

Pangolin

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I sprained my shoulder on Saturday as well...
I finished the game as you did and I'm going to try and play tonight. It's mostly back to normal and I don't feel too bad...
But yeah, it was hurting like hell on Sunday and I could hardly put my clothes on.

FootKnight

This ****ing team
May 28, 2007
I sprained my shoulder on Saturday as well...
I finished the game as you did and I'm going to try and play tonight. It's mostly back to normal and I don't feel too bad...
But yeah, it was hurting like hell on Sunday and I could hardly put my clothes on.

Damn, back to normal already? Tomorrow will be a week for me and it's still bad. Not as bad as the first day, like you I could hardly get dressed, but it's constantly sore and movement and using it all still hurts. There's like a hard lump on the top of my shoulder too where, when you feel the top of your shoulder, you feel the bone just before it's all muscle, feels like it could be the bone. Maybe the doctor got it wrong?

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
I've had a few shoulder sprains. cortisone shots seemed to help it heal faster but generally it just takes time. my last one I could still play I just couldn't shoot high. important to note though that this was non-check beer league hockey. if you're playing check hockey then do what the doc says.

SouthpawTRK

Sep 18, 2009
Northern California
I injured my shoulder last Halloween; felt it pop out for a second and it hurt like hell. The doctor told me to rest it as much as possible (no hockey), ice it and take plenty of ibuprofen. It started to feel better about 4-6 weeks later, until I took my first slap shot at stick/puck. It's so frustrating to not be able to play, but if you want to play for the years to come, it would make sense to take a little bit of time off now.

Rille

Jan 22, 2011
Örnsköldsvik
I do not really know if sprained shoulder is the same as separated shoulder but I got a separated shoulder in the end of september and I made comeback in January.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separated_shoulder

I had type III thats described in the link above. To make a early comeback I recomend you to visit a physiotherapist as soon as possible. I started my rehab just a few days after my injury.

XweekendwarriorX

Jul 19, 2007
Buffalo,NY
Had a bad injury like this before. carrying the puck went to dip past a guy but he just my left shoulder enough to mess it up bad it went numb lost feeling and just hung there. it felt better after the game but i could not sleep on it for a few nights. the pain would come and go every time it moved up. went to the doctors and said its bad either a torn rotator cuff or nerve damage. after a few tests and different pills to get rid of pain it was nerve damage. i missed all of the summer 2 years ago and it sucked. had to go to alot of therapy. after a the summer i have yet to really get any pain in it it gets sore if i work it out to much but doctor said thats just getting the muscles back in shape.

Pangolin

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Damn, back to normal already? Tomorrow will be a week for me and it's still bad. Not as bad as the first day, like you I could hardly get dressed, but it's constantly sore and movement and using it all still hurts. There's like a hard lump on the top of my shoulder too where, when you feel the top of your shoulder, you feel the bone just before it's all muscle, feels like it could be the bone. Maybe the doctor got it wrong?

heh..well..Apparently it's all fine now...even scored a goal last night...
I dunno, maybe mine wasn't that serious..but it felt like it hell at the time...

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Just clicked now reading this thread why my shoulder's been bugging me. A few weeks back I got hit in the shoulder with my arm extended. No wonder I had to stop working out (shoulder pain, couldn't do pushups or pullups).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad