Spotify

GuitarGuy

Oct 3, 2017
Canada
Not sure if there is a thread on this already.

How many of you have Spotify Premium? I just signed up to it a few weeks ago and I absolutely love it! I love how you can listen to it offline so when I go for a run I just plug in my headphones and crank up the music.

It's pretty cheap too. I'll probably never buy music again thanks to Spotify. You can find practically any kind of music/album on there!

Any other big Spotify fans on here?

Sep 19, 2008
If the artists allow their music on Spotify how is it illegal? Everyone should get Spotify premium. Well worth the money.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I've used Spotify daily since I bought premium, just a great service. I'm sure other services work similarly but I love how I can be listening to something on my phone then continue listening right where I left off on my computer at home.

I'd say my listening splits at around 80% Spotify, 20% vinyl.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I've had premium for a few years now. I make a lot of use as a quick and easy way to listen to things, but, as I tend to listen to a lot of things frequently, I might actually have been better off buying the music itself. But, the convenience of being able to listen to anything you feel like is pretty invaluable.

One of the biggest uses I have for it is actually for my kids. Whenever they get into a movie with a soundtrack, we end up listening to it over and over. I've probably played the Moana soundtrack over a 100 times. Currently, Lego Batman is getting a tiny of airplay in my house.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I had it for a while but it made me too lazy in terms of finding new stuff so I ditched it.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Premium is the best money I'll spend each and every month. I work in an office so for 8 or so hours every day I'm abusing the hell out of it. The download feature is so handy too for commutes home on the subway underground and when I go to my cottage in the summer (the cell reception is really shitty) I make a huge playlist and pre-download it so I'm not without music.

Would never consider cancelling premium even if I needed that money for food.

Reactions: G F O P

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
I'm actually really impressed by how well Spotify finds artists based on what I've been listening to. I've actually discovered a few really great bands simply because Spotify started playing them after the album I was listening to had finished.

Reactions: G F O P
Sep 19, 2008
I'm actually really impressed by how well Spotify finds artists based on what I've been listening to. I've actually discovered a few really great bands simply because Spotify started playing them after the album I was listening to had finished.

I also got PVRIS tickets pre-sale because they emailed me about it. But the suggestions to the playlist, I don't really pay attention to them. Spotify has a few issues that piss me off but overall it is a fine program and well worth the money.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Love it. I'm also using the "student's edition" of spotify premium which is only $5/month.

It screws artists out of record money most likely but artists have been getting screwed out of record money since there were records

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I've wanted to make the jump but their music limit of 3,333 per device and 9,999 per account over 3 devices kind of kills it for me. Not because I expect to hit a 10,000 song limit anytime soon (I'm at 1,250 on GPM atm) but it's just not having to worry. Plus I'm on a family plan on GPM and pay $0 and can upload my own music that's not in any library as well, which is nice.

I've considered jumping ship to Spotify or Apple Music many, many times, though.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
It screws artists out of record money most likely but artists have been getting screwed out of record money since there were records
I don't know.

The band I manage has their music on Spotify. They're not big or anything, but the payouts we get from Spotify are pretty good considering their size. It's alot better than the payouts we get from YouTube.

If you're an artist on Spotify and your music gets added to a major playlist it can result in a huge boost in plays and you get can a nice payout from it.

Most of the artists that complain about Spotify have labels which take a cut of the streaming revenue.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Yes. AFAIK artists signed under the major record companies get fractions of a penny for every song played.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Funny, I just picked it up last week and it's a bit daunting at first.

After adding virtually every artist I've ever liked, I'm starting on the playlists.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I have had Spotify Premium for close to a year now. Absolutely love it. Having no commercials is great, but the best thing is being able to download music and listen to it offline.

I listen to music quite a bit at work, so that makes it well worth it right there. But then it's awesome to be able to hook your phone into the car and play Spotify playlists on the road, also to be able to have good music at the cabin.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I've had spotify premium since 2012, best music service i've ever used.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I use Apple Music which is essentially the same service (yes, Apple Music also has offline music, everyone seems to think this isn't a thing) but from what I understand the playlists on Spotify are far, far superior. That being said, I don't care for playlists and I like integrating my Apple stuff + I enjoy the functionality of iTunes.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I used Rhapsody / Napster for a looooong time, but just switched to Google Play which works great with Android Auto in my car.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
I've had it since june 2011 aswell. Couldn't even imagine a life without it lol. But I think pretty much everyone uses it in Sweden, it's like facebook in that regard

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
But with Spotify all your CD's and Vinyl are available on your phone.
Which uses data and sadly in Canada, unlimited data still does not exist. My phone has about 150 gigs of space and about 900 or so songs on it so not lacking in variety.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad