Sportsnet's Refusal to Show In-Game Updates

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
So, tonight I'm watching the Islanders-Habs on SportsnetOne. I have already made the conscious decision NOT to watch the baseball game currently airing on Sportsnet, and searched out the hockey game (Much further down the dial, but it's the World Series, I understand that part). Yet, every time a run is scored in the baseball game, they are cutting in during breaks in the hockey game to show said run and update the score. Yet, there is another hockey game running right now, and Sportsnet has yet to cut in once to show the goal scored in that game, nor have I heard nor seen (Though I was away from the screen for a few minutes here and there) the updated score.

So, I guess my question is, why does Sportsnet HATE to show scores from other games? You watch NFL football, and many games have a ticker that runs across the bottom of the screen constantly updating scores from other games, cutting in with updates of important touchdowns and injuries. Yet, watching Sportsnet, it's like there are no other games in the world going on. So what's the deal? Is this a Sportsnet thing? Does NBC Sports in the US do this as well? Is it an NHL-mandated thing? Because it's really, really weird!

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
So, tonight I'm watching the Islanders-Habs on SportsnetOne. I have already made the conscious decision NOT to watch the baseball game currently airing on Sportsnet, and searched out the hockey game (Much further down the dial, but it's the World Series, I understand that part). Yet, every time a run is scored in the baseball game, they are cutting in during breaks in the hockey game to show said run and update the score. Yet, there is another hockey game running right now, and Sportsnet has yet to cut in once to show the goal scored in that game, nor have I heard nor seen (Though I was away from the screen for a few minutes here and there) the updated score.

So, I guess my question is, why does Sportsnet HATE to show scores from other games? You watch NFL football, and many games have a ticker that runs across the bottom of the screen constantly updating scores from other games, cutting in with updates of important touchdowns and injuries. Yet, watching Sportsnet, it's like there are no other games in the world going on. So what's the deal? Is this a Sportsnet thing? Does NBC Sports in the US do this as well? Is it an NHL-mandated thing? Because it's really, really weird!

They are also aren't great at showing replays of the game you are watching either. My theory is that they don't show as much as they used to so that they can squeeze a few more ads, and commercials in. I have nothing to back it up, but it that's my theory.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
I don't like it when they do in game updates of other games. It is really easy to find out the score of another sporting event in 2016 without the updates.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't like it when they do in game updates of other games. It is really easy to find out the score of another sporting event in 2016 without the updates.
I agree, it's especially terrible when you are PVRing another game.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Is this a big issue? When I wanna know the score of other games, I check my phone. Seems like a petty excuse to ***** about Sportsnet tbh..

ramdm5

Jan 30, 2015
Sweden
I guess they just "hate" it.

Is it that big of a deal?

I dunno. If my provider started to cut in during the (silly) breaks during the game with another sport I'd turn it off to be honest.

I pay for watching the content I want to see. Give me some other **** and I'd rather not watch at all.

Edit: The only updates that are fine is the small "ping" and a small sign telling the score and who scored. Otherwise use your other device/screen.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I dunno. If my provider started to cut in during the (silly) breaks during the game with another sport I'd turn it off to be honest.

I pay for watching the content I want to see. Give me some other **** and I'd rather not watch at all.

Edit: The only updates that are fine is the small "ping" and a small sign telling the score and who scored. Otherwise use your other device/screen.
I think people (at least in Canada) are used to hourly updates where they show quick highlight packs of what happened since the last update.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
In game updates and tickers are the worst. It's 2016. You can get scores/highlights instantly. It makes me look like a moron when someone walking by the room sees me closing my eyes and plugging my ears because they've cut to highlights of a game I am PVRing that I don't want to be spoiled on.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Yeah I agree with some others in this thread. I don't want to know the score of any other game in case I want to watch that game later.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
No spoilers for me please. I might want to watch one of the other games if I've got nothing on that night. You don't know, and you don't know which one. So don't show any other scores.

Baseball doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned. I don't need to see a bunch of guys chewin, spitting n scratching interrupted very occasionally by grown men playing catch on tv. I don't give a **** what they do with the scores.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Speaking of scores, my NHL tv on my Apple TV 3 has a problem forgetting that I have the "hide scores" setting turned on. Anyone know of a fix for that? It resets to off every time I reset the app.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
In game updates and tickers are the worst. It's 2016. You can get scores/highlights instantly. It makes me look like a moron when someone walking by the room sees me closing my eyes and plugging my ears because they've cut to highlights of a game I am PVRing that I don't want to be spoiled on.

bigstock-This-Is-Too-Loud-80469413-e1447774392405.jpg

useless

Feb 2, 2011
Something has changed with Canadian broadcasting. You cannot watching ESPN nba highlights in Canada right now.

Rogers has officially declared war on Canadians.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
As an European fan that watches most games from NHL.tv the next day, I hate when they show scores from other games. Like I have a Flames game to watch and while watching that they spoil some other interesting game by showing the result.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad