Sportsnet: Sportsnet NOW

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
What would be a good price?

Curious as it's always a point of contention but i'm also not sure what people expect when they say that.

But i'm also a person who sees the value in the bundling of cable as my family has a wide array of viewing habits.

2 or 3 posts above this someone says they'd rather pay $50 for just SN Now and TSN streaming ability...that's not far off from the price of cable on its own which also gives you dozens of other channels and multiple streaming options. Hard to see the value in that for the majority.
Well I paid Bell 200 a year for centre ice from the time it was offered if they offered it for 50 I'd never think about alternatives.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Well I paid Bell 200 a year for centre ice from the time it was offered if they offered it for 50 I'd never think about alternatives.

But you don't get it all for $50. You still need NHL CI to get all out of market games if you pay $50 per month for SNNow and TSN.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Well Sportsnet now is 25 a month. they show all of the Wankouver games I think. It would be a reasonable price if I could get all Leaf and all Jays games

The regional games you get depend on where you live.

The only way you're getting all the Vancouver games is if you live in BC or get NHLCI.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Illegal streaming is your friend?

Don't get me wrong I work in IT so I certainly have the knowledge to steal a broadcast of anything out there but that doesn't make it right.
And the absurd amount of money cable companies charge is ok?

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Yes, because Cable companies don't come to your house with a gun forcing you to buy cable. It's called capitalism, it's a beautiful thing.

I would call it more crony capitalism or fascism. Companies like Rogers and Bell bribe the government in the form of campaign contributions and lobbying. In exchange, the government protects their oligopoly from competition (for example, by preventing US telecom companies from doing business in Canada). Taxpayers spent half a billion dollars building the Skydome, and they sold it to Rogers for $20 million. It's pretty tough to compete with Rogers when they get to buy stadiums for pennies on the dollar. Rogers and Bell have such a huge market share because they have the government doing them all sorts of favours, not because they succeed in a free-market environment. The consequence of the government imposed oligopoly is that they are able to charge prices to consumers that are much higher than what would occur in a truly free market environment. As a result of the high prices and poor service, consumers are pushed towards black market methods (illegal streaming) of obtaining the service they desire to consume (hockey games).

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
This is not true. You don't get all the Sportsnet channels, notably Sportsnet World. And for live programming, you only get NBA, NHL, and MLB (basically whatever from those leagues that are airing on Sportnet). So if you're into soccer, you're out of luck. I'm not sure about the NFL either.

They have a schedule there where I can click on anything on any of the 4 SN regional channels, SN1 or SN360 and watch what's on. I can currently watch Tim and Sid, Darts, or Bob McCown just like I can right now on my TV. I assume if anything including any spot came on these 6 channels I could watch it. Yeah there's no SN World listed there, maybe because I don't get SN World in my cable subscription. Maybe it's just this way because I get it through my cable subscription. Maybe it's different if you just sign up for SN Now IDK but for the price you pay it should give you access to whatever is on SN not just live events for 3 different sports which may or may not be blacked out. Whether it does or not IDK because like I said I can only confirm what it gives me by my cable sign in which makes sense it's exactly what I get on my cable.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
They have a schedule there where I can click on anything on any of the 4 SN regional channels, SN1 or SN360 and watch what's on. I can currently watch Tim and Sid, Darts, or Bob McCown just like I can right now on my TV. I assume if anything including any spot came on these 6 channels I could watch it. Yeah there's no SN World listed there, maybe because I don't get SN World in my cable subscription. Maybe it's just this way because I get it through my cable subscription. Maybe it's different if you just sign up for SN Now IDK but for the price you pay it should give you access to whatever is on SN not just live events for 3 different sports which may or may not be blacked out. Whether it does or not IDK because like I said I can only confirm what it gives me by my cable sign in which makes sense it's exactly what I get on my cable.

I have a cable subscription with all the Sportsnet channels, except Sportsnet World. I was just merely pointing that if want SN Now only it doesn't mean you'll get Sportsnet World included. You'd have to purchase a subscription for that channel.

There are times when I am not home, but I've got my laptop and I want to put on the TFC game, and even though it is on the regular Sportsnet channels, it's just not been listed. It kinda sucks that if I go away for a weekend and want to tune into some EPL football in the AM on Saturday or Sunday, it is also not listed. If I sign in right now, and go to the 'upcoming live events', I will only see NBA, NHL, and MLB.

I apologize for saying you only get live programming from 3 of the big sports. It is true that you do get other programs like Jays in 30, Tim and Sid, Prime Time Sports, Gotta See It, etc.

I went through their FAQ and saw this, which could perhaps explain it?

Why does some of the content in Sportsnet NOW differ from what is shown on television?
In rare circumstances, Sportsnet does not have the same rights to show content online or mobile as it does on TV. If that is the case, we may blackout specific programming.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
But you don't get it all for $50. You still need NHL CI to get all out of market games if you pay $50 per month for SNNow and TSN.

That is my point, I actually want to pay for content, I feel somewhat foolish doing so given I have the technology and knowledge to get the content I want for free. I happen to believe 200 is not a fair price. Because I live in Ottawa broadcast area the NHL forces me to pay to see all the Leaf games I want. I could rationalize taking it for free easily. But it remains a moral conundrum for me and I'll likely grudgingly keep giving Bell their price although it kinda sickens me.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I have a cable subscription with all the Sportsnet channels, except Sportsnet World. I was just merely pointing that if want SN Now only it doesn't mean you'll get Sportsnet World included. You'd have to purchase a subscription for that channel.

There are times when I am not home, but I've got my laptop and I want to put on the TFC game, and even though it is on the regular Sportsnet channels, it's just not been listed. It kinda sucks that if I go away for a weekend and want to tune into some EPL football in the AM on Saturday or Sunday, it is also not listed. If I sign in right now, and go to the 'upcoming live events', I will only see NBA, NHL, and MLB.

I apologize for saying you only get live programming from 3 of the big sports. It is true that you do get other programs like Jays in 30, Tim and Sid, Prime Time Sports, Gotta See It, etc.

I noticed the live events of NBA, MLB and NHL only come up on the side, but figured you could get anything that was on SN via the schedule tab. Of course excluding things like regional games not in your region. But I've never felt compelled to actually watch soccer on there, or random programming so wouldn't know for sure. Only use it to watch games when I can't get to a TV.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
I would call it more crony capitalism or fascism. Companies like Rogers and Bell bribe the government in the form of campaign contributions and lobbying. In exchange, the government protects their oligopoly from competition (for example, by preventing US telecom companies from doing business in Canada). Taxpayers spent half a billion dollars building the Skydome, and they sold it to Rogers for $20 million. It's pretty tough to compete with Rogers when they get to buy stadiums for pennies on the dollar. Rogers and Bell have such a huge market share because they have the government doing them all sorts of favours, not because they succeed in a free-market environment. The consequence of the government imposed oligopoly is that they are able to charge prices to consumers that are much higher than what would occur in a truly free market environment. As a result of the high prices and poor service, consumers are pushed towards black market methods (illegal streaming) of obtaining the service they desire to consume (hockey games).

Thats a massive hyperbole.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
What would be a good price?

Curious as it's always a point of contention but i'm also not sure what people expect when they say that.

But i'm also a person who sees the value in the bundling of cable as my family has a wide array of viewing habits.

2 or 3 posts above this someone says they'd rather pay $50 for just SN Now and TSN streaming ability...that's not far off from the price of cable on its own which also gives you dozens of other channels and multiple streaming options. Hard to see the value in that for the majority.

After a little thought I think a good price for me to see Leaf games that are blacked out from me is about a buck. If that's 40$ I'm good.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Yes, because Cable companies don't come to your house with a gun forcing you to buy cable. It's called capitalism, it's a beautiful thing.

Actually, it's not at all. The big companies collude in pricing and hide behind the crtc to avoid competition from cheaper US rivals. That's anything but capitalism.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Just a warning: I tried Sportsnet Now a year or so ago when I dabbled with chord cutting and the video quality was terrible and if I recall, the interface was confusing and kludgy. They had a 30 day free trial and I chose not to subscribe and this was the primary reason we stayed with cable. On the upside, there is a Kodi plugin that you can use your subscription info with so you can at least seamlessly integrate it with your other chord cutting software.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
There's no good way to cord cut if you are deep into sports.

People will come in and claim stupid crap like "I live on a helicopter near the CN tower and I pick up ever channel in HD for FREE off my rabbit ears" or "I bought some gimmick from Pacific Mall and it let's me stream every game for FREE".

Nobody gets every game off rabbit ears free streams are generally choppy or you find yourself thinking you're watching games in October but really it's from last March because of the crazy lag.

It would be nice if you could just pay a reasonable rate per game/episode of whatever you want to watch, but if that ever happens it will cost more than what it costs today for cable. So you just gotta accept it or not watch or watch some crap quality and convince yourself it's okay.
I live 30 floors up and live 2 minutes from the tower. I wouldnt even attempt/nor waste my tine trying an antenna. There's far too many buildings that would interfere. There's also the fact that you can't even get TSN or Sportsnet OTA. You can get stations like CBC or CTV but no channel that requires payment.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Actually, it's not at all. The big companies collude in pricing and hide behind the crtc to avoid competition from cheaper US rivals. That's anything but capitalism.

As someone who went to broadcasting school, I completely agree. We even had to take a course where all the lectures revolved around the CRTC and all its silly rules and regs. Rogers and Bell are also well represented on the CRTC board. No conflict of interest there. The more I read about the duopoly, the more disgusted with it I became. It's absolutely anything but capitalism. There's no competition. And when competition tries to come up here, Bell and Rogers play the "We need to protect Canadian companies" card. I honestly can't believe there isn't more backlash in this country over this issue. Bell and Rogers absolutely own us with cable,satellite,radio,TV,print media,cell phones,internet etc

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Couple observations

1. Just because companies charge a lot for a product doesn't justify stealing the product or service

2. Pretty silly to think that legal cord cutting will be cheaper in the long run. Check your prices for data over the next few years

3. I wonder where the "I want it free" generation thinks people will work in the future? Together Bell and Rogers employ over 75,000 Canadians in fairly good paying jobs.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
As someone who went to broadcasting school, I completely agree. We even had to take a course where all the lectures revolved around the CRTC and all its silly rules and regs. Rogers and Bell are also well represented on the CRTC board. No conflict of interest there. The more I read about the duopoly, the more disgusted with it I became. It's absolutely anything but capitalism. There's no competition. And when competition tries to come up here, Bell and Rogers play the "We need to protect Canadian companies" card. I honestly can't believe there isn't more backlash in this country over this issue. Bell and Rogers absolutely own us with cable,satellite,radio,TV,print media,cell phones,internet etc

Yup, and just wait until they go after Netflix now that they have their own streaming services. Everything I've heard about Cravetv and the other service is they are horrible compared to the wonderful quality you get from Netflix but guaranteed, instead of improving the service to make it palatable, they will lobby the crtc to say how unfair it is Canadians get a great product at a good price.

Regarding why we don't revolt, yeah, I don't get it either. Everything in Canada is such a gouge and so inferior compared to comparable products in the US, it's just amazing we keep taking it. I guess it's because we were founded by rule following loyalists and the US was founded by revolutionaries. That's not a joke by the way, I really do think there's a cultural background that makes us docile and compliant.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Couple observations

1. Just because companies charge a lot for a product doesn't justify stealing the product or service

2. Pretty silly to think that legal cord cutting will be cheaper in the long run. Check your prices for data over the next few years

3. I wonder where the "I want it free" generation thinks people will work in the future? Together Bell and Rogers employ over 75,000 Canadians in fairly good paying jobs.

1. I don't but if I did, I wouldn't be as morally conflicted as you. Feel free to pm me and I'll send you a long diatribe of how much money I've paid to companies that base their entire profit model on monopolistic tactics, strong arm tactics and lobbying.

2. I watch sports and the odd movie and that's it. My wife and son get literally 90% of their entertainment from Netflix. That's $25/month for Sportsnet Now if it wasn't so trash, $9.95/month for Netflix until the tax the media companies lobbied for comes into effect and it would be $20/month for HBO or TMN if our wonderful cable companies weren't blocking direct subscriptions like you can get in the US. That's about $55/month. I currently pay about $120/month for cable.

3. Small business creates the vast majority of jobs in this country, not big companies. There would actually be more jobs and better service if it weren't for the monopolistic tactics of companies like Rogers and Bell. I'm 47 by the way, this issue is intergenerational.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

SNworld cost $19.99 on its own, why would it would be included in a deal that gives you ALL SN channels for $25 p/m?.

You cant watch the EPL Saturday mornings on it? that is ridiculous, so they are actually paying to show different content so you cant watch the EPL that right there is enough not to go with it.

PS I hate SNWorld shows some EPL games, TSN will show 2,3,4 different games on their 5 channels but SN shows 1 game on all its channels and maybe one on SN1 if you are lucky

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
That's the justification of almost any crime though.

Is it easier to walk into a store and take something or go get a job and earn money to walk into the store and exchange money for the item?

The reality is that using your 50 or 100mb down connection to stream anything means it should look pretty good assuming the source knows what they're doing.

But paying for internet doesn't justify stealing everything and paying for nothing because the quality is the same.

The thing you stole at the story tastes the same whether you paid for it or not.

But you're saying the quality is the same, it's not. I'm watching ...trying to watch my legally paid for service and frustrated so I'm switching over to other means. It doesn't taste the same. We're talking about a store that constantly takes a lot of money and doesn't return a decent product. As someone who's worked for that store, I know both sides of the story. Not only have I sold products at a higher cost then the competition, I've sold products to the gullible that are readily available for free. In all honesty, I feel way more dirty having scammed people then switching from my service that lags to one that doesn't, especially since I'm still paying employee pricing for. I've also worked for a U.S. company that would smash them to pieces. Unlimited long distance phone, big cable packages, and a fast Internet speeds for the same price as a 4mb/s internet package here. The fact is, we're not talking fair deals here, we're talking extortion. Cable is being cut because people can't afford to be ripped off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad