Sportsnet: Sportsnet NOW

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
You should try reading the rest of that article.

I read the full article. What information in the rest of the article proves your point? Not sure what you're getting at here.

The person you are quoting has no insight into the inner workings of the industry. Foreign investors could compete if they wanted to. They don't see enough benefit in coming in. Simple as that.

No... foreign investors could not compete if they wanted to because of the telecommunications act. Sorry, but you're just plain wrong. Do you not believe the telecommunications act is a real thing? Do you have any evidence to support your claim that a foreign company could operate a large telecommunications company in Canada?

Here is another article if you don't believe me:

http://business.financialpost.com/t...e-outdated-should-be-abolished-by-crtc-report

The Telecommunications Act prevents non-residents from owning more than 20 per cent of a communications operating company, 33.3 per cent of a holding company and 46.7 per cent of voting shares. The Broadcasting Act requires that broadcasting firms with more than 10 per cent of the market share be Canadian-owned and controlled.

Sorry... but facts are facts. It's stated there in plain English.

And if government feels the people want to lift restrictions, they will do it. Or more accurately the public will demand it.

Do you think the people control the government or the government control the people?

At least here you are now admitting there are "restrictions", whereas before you claimed that "Foreign investors could compete if they wanted to." So what is it? Are they restricted or are they free to compete? As I showed you, they are restricted from doing business in Canada which is why Rogers and Bell have no real competition.

You seem to have a lot of faith in the public and their ability to change government. The public are generally stupid and too lazy to demand anything. You're not going to have millions of Canadians marching in the streets so we can use Verizon and AT&T. Canadians will continue voting for the same idiot politicians we always vote for.

So I'm not holding my breath waiting for the public or the government to change things. All I can do is cut the cord and watch high quality streams and try to keep my internet and cell phone costs down. I'm not going to change the system, so I gotta work around it.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I miss the lower quality free Leaf games I used to watch as a kid for free. Every game for free. Channel 5 cbc, channel 11 (CHCH), Channel 9 (ctv) Then global on 6. All through the antenna. I thought it preposterous that you would actually have to pay to watch a hockey game. Boy times have changed. We are enslaved by our technology. 1984 has come.

When does the tv schedule come out?:shakehead

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I miss the lower quality free Leaf games I used to watch as a kid for free. Every game for free. Channel 5 cbc, channel 11 (CHCH), Channel 9 (ctv) Then global on 6. All through the antenna. I thought it preposterous that you would actually have to pay to watch a hockey game. Boy times have changed. We are enslaved by our technology. 1984 has come.

When does the tv schedule come out?:shakehead

Yup. It was all commercial supported and no carrier fees. Now cable costs what a mortgage used to cost and there's more commercials than ever. It will never be enough.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Great, so you're either leaving money on the table, meaning you're not maximizing shareholder wealth, or your brand or service/product isn't up to snuff with your other competitors, which is why you charge less to stay alive. A small engineering company isn't the same as an industry that requires billions of dollars of investment in infrastructure every year.

You need to do more research on the telecom industry. Wind offers lower rates because they offer an inferior product.

So now you know more about my business than me, which makes perfect sense for sure. You seem like a wonderful guy but to be honest I'm just bored with this so you win: Rogers and Bell are awesome and we pay an entirely fair price for cable, phone and Internet and there's absolutely nothing untoward about their business practices nor the protections they're afforded by the CRTC.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I remember those old broadcasts on CHCH and Global. Bargain basement production values to be sure.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Change is coming. There are people dumping cable in bigger numbers. I read Apple TV is investing in content too soon. They are holding on to sports for dear lives.

Content is king. But until a company like Apple actually secures rights fee, it's business as usual.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
There's no good way to cord cut if you are deep into sports.

People will come in and claim stupid crap like "I live on a helicopter near the CN tower and I pick up ever channel in HD for FREE off my rabbit ears" or "I bought some gimmick from Pacific Mall and it let's me stream every game for FREE".

Nobody gets every game off rabbit ears free streams are generally choppy or you find yourself thinking you're watching games in October but really it's from last March because of the crazy lag.

It would be nice if you could just pay a reasonable rate per game/episode of whatever you want to watch, but if that ever happens it will cost more than what it costs today for cable. So you just gotta accept it or not watch or watch some crap quality and convince yourself it's okay.

Perhaps streaming has come a long way since you last tried, but its pretty dependable at this point if you know where to look. I've been streaming every game in full 60fps HD for years now with no choppyness or discernable delay, and this community has multiple backup contingencies.

I actually have NHL Gamecenter and don't even bother with it.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I read the full article. What information in the rest of the article proves your point? Not sure what you're getting at here.

No... foreign investors could not compete if they wanted to because of the telecommunications act. Sorry, but you're just plain wrong. Do you not believe the telecommunications act is a real thing? Do you have any evidence to support your claim that a foreign company could operate a large telecommunications company in Canada?

Here is another article if you don't believe me:

http://business.financialpost.com/t...e-outdated-should-be-abolished-by-crtc-report

The Telecommunications Act prevents non-residents from owning more than 20 per cent of a communications operating company, 33.3 per cent of a holding company and 46.7 per cent of voting shares. The Broadcasting Act requires that broadcasting firms with more than 10 per cent of the market share be Canadian-owned and controlled.

Sorry... but facts are facts. It's stated there in plain English.

Do you think the people control the government or the government control the people?

At least here you are now admitting there are "restrictions", whereas before you claimed that "Foreign investors could compete if they wanted to." So what is it? Are they restricted or are they free to compete? As I showed you, they are restricted from doing business in Canada which is why Rogers and Bell have no real competition.

You seem to have a lot of faith in the public and their ability to change government. The public are generally stupid and too lazy to demand anything. You're not going to have millions of Canadians marching in the streets so we can use Verizon and AT&T. Canadians will continue voting for the same idiot politicians we always vote for.

So I'm not holding my breath waiting for the public or the government to change things. All I can do is cut the cord and watch high quality streams and try to keep my internet and cell phone costs down. I'm not going to change the system, so I gotta work around it.

I think you're kinda having your own discussion in your own mind. I never said foreign companies were able to do business in Canada without restriction. In fact all companies have to follow certain guidelines to do business. Foreign investors have been in the Canadian telecom marketplace despite those restrictions you are quoting, so obviously it's not a compete barrier to entry.

There's a a lot you don't know about Verizon looking at coming to Canada. They could have come if they wanted to, but they didn't think it made sense given the investment required. Simple.

The CRTC does listen to the public. In recent years the CRTC mandated telcos adopt two year maximum terms for wireless instead of three. That wasn't the telcos asking for that, that was forced by the government, who are apparently in bed with the telcos doing their bidding. There was great time and money spent to move over to two year terms. CRTC also mandated a la carte pricing for cable. Again, not something that the telcos initiated, something the CRTC mandated based on public opinion. So yes, the people do have the power. Plus, what are we missing out on that Verizon or AT&T provides their customers with? Are we missing out on super TV and didn't know it?

You're just trying to justify illegal behavior by playing the part of some type of Robin Hood character that you think you are. Really, your just a common thief. You should accept and embrace that, if that's what you are.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Perhaps streaming has come a long way since you last tried, but its pretty dependable at this point if you know where to look. I've been streaming every game in full 60fps HD for years now with no choppyness or discernable delay, and this community has multiple backup contingencies.

I actually have NHL Gamecenter and don't even bother with it.

Like I said this is a typical response that I expected.

I've been blessed in life to not have to resort to stealing content, so I'm good with the product the NHL provides legally.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I think you're kinda having your own discussion in your own mind. I never said foreign companies were able to do business in Canada without restriction.

Let's recap: I said " Don't you ever wonder why AT&T, Verizon, etc. don't operate in Toronto?"... You replied: "Probably the same reason they don't operate in Canada in general. High cost and low return. It's expensive to maintain proper cable network in a country larger than the US and with a tenth of customer base." You then said: "Foreign investors could compete if they wanted to. They don't see enough benefit in coming in. Simple as that."

What you don't understand is that international telecom companies cannot be major players in Canada. They would not be allowed to buy Rogers or Bell for example.

Foreign investors have been in the Canadian telecom marketplace despite those restrictions you are quoting, so obviously it's not a compete barrier to entry.

There's a a lot you don't know about Verizon looking at coming to Canada. They could have come if they wanted to, but they didn't think it made sense given the investment required. Simple.

Again. You don't understand. I'm not sure how else I can explain this to you. If Verizon were to come to Canada, they would not be allowed to gain a big market share. So they don't have the option to come to Canada and really compete with Rogers and Bell. They are only permitted to be minor players in the market. And if they try and get too big, the CRTC and the government shut them down. That's why it's not profitable for them to do business in Canada. If it weren't for these "regulations" (really protection for Rogers and Bell), then US companies would be happy to do business in Canada.

The CRTC does listen to the public. In recent years the CRTC mandated telcos adopt two year maximum terms for wireless instead of three. That wasn't the telcos asking for that, that was forced by the government, who are apparently in bed with the telcos doing their bidding. There was great time and money spent to move over to two year terms. CRTC also mandated a la carte pricing for cable. Again, not something that the telcos initiated, something the CRTC mandated based on public opinion. So yes, the people do have the power. Plus, what are we missing out on that Verizon or AT&T provides their customers with? Are we missing out on super TV and didn't know it?

The CRTC just wants to justify their existence. Gotta make it look like they do something.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Like I said this is a typical response that I expected.

I've been blessed in life to not have to resort to stealing content, so I'm good with the product the NHL provides legally.

I'm not resorting to stealing because I'm poor, I have NHL Gamecenter, but don't use it because it sucks.

Last edited:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Change is coming. There are people dumping cable in bigger numbers. I read Apple TV is investing in content too soon. They are holding on to sports for dear lives.

I wonder if they notice how much their internet service has and will jump in the years ahead?

Companies aren't charities.

Years ago Apple had a great iLife suite that had a DVD burner (SuperDrive).

They stopped making it and low and behold offered up the iCould. Store all your family movies on our secure server... just sign this monthly fee contract.

So convenient. Who minds paying a few bucks a month? Then a few more. Then a few more.

And of course, want to switch? Sorry. That's going to be hard.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
You're just trying to justify illegal behavior by playing the part of some type of Robin Hood character that you think you are. Really, your just a common thief. You should accept and embrace that, if that's what you are.

You make it sound like you never stole a thing in your life, and that your very privileged. The legitimate products out there online have been sub par for years.

I'm not resorting to stealing because I'm poor, I have NHL Gamecenter, but don't use it because it sucks.

Gamecenter does suck. I have it, and some nights it can be worse than watching a game in SD. It downgrades in quality. Not all nights, but it seems like one out every five games I see this. I see others complaining on twitter as well. Used it on my PS4, Tablet, and PC. Sportsnet now works better than the NHL's own tool.

The only way I saw great quality NHL games all the time, was before I cut the cord with center ice (which I use to get every year for a few years), but I wasn't going to justify keeping cable just for hockey so I went with online resources.

Some things I have noticed that helps push users to illegal streams
are:

1 - Terrible technology offering the product (Apps, console apps)
2 - Often illegal streams (payed and non-paying) can be better.
3 - Blackouts. Stupid old concept that makes zero sense.
4 - Pricing has zero flexibility.

I'm not one to just complain, I like to share my solutions.

If I'm in charge of NHL marketing/Technology I do the following:
1 - Form testing groups in multiple markets to obtain feedback from multiple feeds, platforms. Fix the problems based on feedback from users. At the very least, make it easy for users to give feedback.

2 - Offer team packaged. I don't want Center Ice or Game center for all the games, I just want to see the Leafs. If your a fan in a out of market zone that belongs to another team, part of that revenue belongs to that team. No more blackouts.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
There's no good way to cord cut if you are deep into sports.

People will come in and claim stupid crap like "I live on a helicopter near the CN tower and I pick up ever channel in HD for FREE off my rabbit ears" or "I bought some gimmick from Pacific Mall and it let's me stream every game for FREE".

Nobody gets every game off rabbit ears free streams are generally choppy or you find yourself thinking you're watching games in October but really it's from last March because of the crazy lag.

It would be nice if you could just pay a reasonable rate per game/episode of whatever you want to watch, but if that ever happens it will cost more than what it costs today for cable. So you just gotta accept it or not watch or watch some crap quality and convince yourself it's okay.

Gamecenter + VPN will get you every NHL game

DAZN will get you the NFL

So IDK what you are talking about

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Sports in general is in decline. Hockey is too expensive to play, too expensive to watch even. Kids are playing video games and watching Jacksepticeye's YouTube channel. My kids have never wanted to watch a Leafs game. After one period of P.K. Subban and the Belleville Bulls, it was time to go. Some seem to think the other option of illegal streams is to play for the product, but it might be more likely people would just not watch at all. With the advent of the trap, lack of fighting, etc., to me hockey isn't as entertaining or as valuable of a product as it once was. Even as a child from the 60's, computer games often compete for my entertainment over a lack-luster effort from the Leafs. From a study of Nielsen television viewer-ship data, the average age of a NHL viewer in 2000 was 33. In 2006, it was 42. Last year it was 49.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Sports in general is in decline. Hockey is too expensive to play, too expensive to watch even. Kids are playing video games and watching Jacksepticeye's YouTube channel. My kids have never wanted to watch a Leafs game. After one period of P.K. Subban and the Belleville Bulls, it was time to go. Some seem to think the other option of illegal streams is to play for the product, but it might be more likely people would just not watch at all. With the advent of the trap, lack of fighting, etc., to me hockey isn't as entertaining or as valuable of a product as it once was. Even as a child from the 60's, computer games often compete for my entertainment over a lack-luster effort from the Leafs. From a study of Nielsen television viewer-ship data, the average age of a NHL viewer in 2000 was 33. In 2006, it was 42. Last year it was 49.

Maybe if you didn't stick your kids in front of the TV and computer all day, they wouldn't be addicted to tv and video games and would have an interest in sports.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
You make it sound like you never stole a thing in your life, and that your very privileged. The legitimate products out there online have been sub par for years.

Gamecenter does suck. I have it, and some nights it can be worse than watching a game in SD. It downgrades in quality. Not all nights, but it seems like one out every five games I see this. I see others complaining on twitter as well. Used it on my PS4, Tablet, and PC. Sportsnet now works better than the NHL's own tool.

The only way I saw great quality NHL games all the time, was before I cut the cord with center ice (which I use to get every year for a few years), but I wasn't going to justify keeping cable just for hockey so I went with online resources.

Some things I have noticed that helps push users to illegal streams
are:

1 - Terrible technology offering the product (Apps, console apps)
2 - Often illegal streams (payed and non-paying) can be better.
3 - Blackouts. Stupid old concept that makes zero sense.
4 - Pricing has zero flexibility.

I'm not one to just complain, I like to share my solutions.

If I'm in charge of NHL marketing/Technology I do the following:
1 - Form testing groups in multiple markets to obtain feedback from multiple feeds, platforms. Fix the problems based on feedback from users. At the very least, make it easy for users to give feedback.

2 - Offer team packaged. I don't want Center Ice or Game center for all the games, I just want to see the Leafs. If your a fan in a out of market zone that belongs to another team, part of that revenue belongs to that team. No more blackouts.

I use gamecentre all the time, and never have an issue. Maybe shell out more cash for a better internet connection.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
I use gamecentre all the time, and never have an issue. Maybe shell out more cash for a better internet connection.

Yup cause I'm on dial up lol. I've monitored on my laptop and watched the throughput of data and I know I have triple of what's needed to watch in HD. It's sad that 'more cash' is your answer to fix a problem. Again, your privelleged responses are entertaining.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad