News Article: Sportsnet: Max Domi on naming captains.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

“The way you’ve got to look at it is everyone is going to step up in different situations and everyone is going to hold each other accountable,†Domi told hosts Dan Riccio and JD Bunkis. “There’s no real one leader on a team. The whole captain thing is overrated. Yeah, it says a lot and everyone looks up to you, but everyone in that locker-room is a leader and everyone handles situations differently and makes that team go.

“It takes 23 guys, it doesn’t take one.â€

Full interview at the bottom of the article.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
Well, thats a new revelation!
You think he means that or is it just fluff for the listeners?
Hopefully, fluff for the listeners.
He's just talking.
He dosnt mean it.
If one thing in this world is important, its leadership at every level.
From the front office to the ice.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Realistically, most NHL players were probably captains or assistant captains on their teams through junior so they are all leaders.

That said, leaders in the dressing room will happen. No sense appointing someone until they actually are all together.

HerrDonut

May 30, 2013
Arizona
Leadership is an intangible sort of thing.

Captain is a label, a letter on the jersey.

I like leaders, I don't care about "C" patches.

Feb 12, 2003
One thing that can be bad if there is not a clear-cut leader is the "too many cooks in the kitchen" scenario. That can easily fragment the locker room if each little clique has their "leader" but there is no consolidation. I suspect there will be some consolidation at some point, but the team was quite nearly blown up and you can let the dust settle and see who steps up to lead the team.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Yeah I'd just name OEL captain. He's only here for 2 more years on his current deal, see what he's got.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Well, I think the main thing about "C"s and "A"s is how they act on the ice and communicate with officials. I know the league has strayed away from that rule (only "C"s or "A"s can chat with refs) a bit. So my take would be to choose a C that communicates well on-ice, does well in the locker room/practice, and helps any new arrivals to the team as they settle in.

I have no decent insight into practically all of those traits, so I'll leave it to the coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad