Sportsnet: Flames Rink Plans to be announced

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I agree with the premise of the article; the new arena should have little to no public funding for it's construction.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd like to see the city donate the land, expedite things through city hall and make infrastructure improvements in the area rather than putting cash money into the arena itself. It's not like they are making any money on the west village land right now anyways.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I'd like to see the city donate the land, expedite things through city hall and make infrastructure improvements in the area rather than putting cash money into the arena itself.

Two of the three items you mention would be far too expensive for the city to throw into the project. Making infrastructure improvements, for one thing, would cost the city millions (Based on numbers thrown around for places like Midfield Trailer Park in the NE).

The final price tag to help make the Flames' owners and players even richer would be far too high and I don't think there would be a whole lot of return benefit for the city. I, for one, would rather see my tax dollars go somewhere else.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
An announcement coming up in the near future? I'll believe it when I see it.

If Murray Edwards wants a new rink, and is willing to pay for it himself, they can put shovels in the ground tomorrow. If he wants public money to pay for it, he is likely going to have to spend the next few years jumping through hoops to make that happen.

Which is fine by me BTW. The Saddledome is a great place to watch a game. I couldn't care less that they claim to need more luxury boxes and club seating.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
An announcement coming up in the near future? I'll believe it when I see it.

If Murray Edwards wants a new rink, and is willing to pay for it himself, they can put shovels in the ground tomorrow. If he wants public money to pay for it, he is likely going to have to spend the next few years jumping through hoops to make that happen.

Which is fine by me BTW. The Saddledome is a great place to watch a game. I couldn't care less that they claim to need more luxury boxes and club seating.

I just wanna see Justin Timberlake and Taylor swift come here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad