News Article: Sportsnet.Ca: Cap to remain $81.5 for 3 seasons.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
NHL/NHLPA talks on CBA include escrow cap, salary deferral for players - Sportsnet.ca

Cap to remain $81.5 for 3 seasons

It does mention it has potential to go up $1M in '22-'23.

This looks like the best thing for the Red Wings & a few other teams.
1. Just as 3 key RFAs are coming up for their renewal or bridge, the timing is impeccable.

2. Plus gives us advantage of weaponized cap space (cap dumps & or cap casualties + picks/prospects/young NHLers).

3. UFAs have less options & we can outbid if needed, without going overboard.

4. Keeps our own negotiations within reason, i.e. if Mantha asked for the Moon, $8Mx7-8yrs.

5. We'll undoubtedly see some buy-low type trade offers for RFAs of other teams that wanna get paid, but can't fit & are rumored to be considering wanting to see/get Offer Sheets. And/Or, offer sheets facilitate other cap dump/casualty scenarios to nix the OS.

If SY can somehow snag Cirelli or Serg that'd be a huge feather in his cap.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
This is actually a silver lining to that disgusting draft lottery. Yzerman needs to start taking advantage of these cap strapped teams. Either, A) trade for a young player that one of these teams simply cannot afford, or B), use the cap space we have to take on a bad contract, along with bonus assets like picks and prospects. Now is the time for Yzerman to really start looking at teams who need cap relief.

Obviously we are still going to suck for 2,3,4,5 more years? There is no use in going into next season spending two thirds of the cap, that would be wasted cap space. Take advantage of these teams asap!

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
The cap not rising is really gonna hurt the Leafs. They dont have any bad players on big contracts so theyre going to have to get rid of a good player potentially

Or option B, just keep everyone since they are cap compliant.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Good time to take Karl Alzner from Montreal for a king's ransom

Some kind of deal with Mantha to Montreal and Alzner coming to Detroit could set the Wings up really well.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019

Some kind of deal with Mantha to Montreal and Alzner coming to Detroit could set the Wings up really well.
What do you think that looks like.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan

He has a seven team NTC and I can almost 100% guarantee that Detroit is on it.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
He has a seven team NTC and I can almost 100% guarantee that Detroit is on it.

Maybe. But where do you think he's got a better chance of first class hotels, first class travel, NHL per diems, etc?
Detroit's got to be near the top of the list if he doesn't want demotion to the AHL.

He'd be a #7 D this year in Detroit, jumping when cholowski struggles.
Next year, he'd still have a potential job because Nemeth will likely leave. He

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

What kind of deal?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
What kind of deal?

For Mantha -
Montreal's first (which should 9th overall). Deal wouldn't be made until after they lose, obviously.
Some other piece. A prospect. Maybe that Chicago 2nd.
For Alzner - We take a quality prospect or pick or package. Maybe Chicago's 3rd next year + Struble or Harris

So total return.
9th overall - Askarov/Quinn/Holtz/whoever falls
About 40th overall.
75th overall next year.
Struble or Harris.

Reactions: lilidk

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Or option B, just keep everyone since they are cap compliant.

For now.

They have 7 free agents after this season finishes. 3 of their top 5 D and their defense is already their weakest aspect. The year after that, Freddie is going to be up for a raise after how well he has played for them. Hyman is another one due after next season and will probably get a pretty decent raise as well.

Theyre going ot have to move a big contract or just not sign any dmen to replace Barrie or Ceci

Reactions: Go Wings

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I mean if the return is right sure and the contract isn't staying too long. Given the events of the other night and the uncertainty of what moves forward. I think we just stand pat and hope to get luckier next year and come in dead last again. I know that will be tough for everyone to hear, but I am not real interested in dipping into free agency or taking on a slightly overpaid player to help a team up against the cap.

If we were getting a Lafreniere, Byfield or Stutzle, I would have been all for chasing Krug and trying to get Tyler Johnson on the cheap. Now... I am less about it, we need an elite talent and we just won't know how good Perfetti or whatever guy we take is.

I also would find it an interesting way to stick it to the league. I mean you have to sign Mantha and Bertuzzi though perhaps you are looking at a longer deeper rebuild and their time is up too. But I think we should stay down near the floor, play a lot of our youth and just hope next year we don't slide 3 spots from 1 to 4 when we come in dead last.

Last edited:

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
If we can turn this into an opportunity to snag another first or high second next year that would be great for the rebuild. Hopefully we can pull something similar to what Carolina did to get in the position they are this year.

Fingers crossed!

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I mean if the return is right sure and the contract isn't staying too long. Given the events of the other night and the uncertainty of what moves forward. I think we just stand pat and hope to get luckier next year and come in dead last again. I know that will be tough for everyone to hear, but I am not real interested in dipping into free agency or taking on a slightly overpaid player to help a team up against the cap.

If we were getting a Lafreniere, Byfield or Stutzle, I would have been all for chasing Krug and trying to get Tyler Johnson on the cheap. Now... I am less about it, we need an elite talent and we just won't know how good Perfetti or whatever guy we take is.

I also would find it an interesting way to stick it to the league. I mean you have to sign Mantha and Bertuzzi though perhaps you are looking at a longer deeper rebuild and their time is up too. But I think we should stay down near the floor, play a lot of our youth and just hope next year we don't slide 3 spots from 1 to 4 when we come in dead last.

Agreed

If I am Stevie after Friday I would make it public we could care less about the short term.

Draft the goalie, sign mantha and bertuzzi and that's it, no UFA's of any value and go in with one of the lowest payrolls

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He's already hit payday though, unless they'd retain $1..74 (25%) on $6.962M*4yrs.= $5.222M *4yrs.

If he's going to be a consistent 60-70 point player, I don't mind that $7m cap hit. If it means the trade price is significantly lower, I wouldn't push for Toronto to retain.

Reactions: MBH

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
He's already hit payday though, unless they'd retain $1..74 (25%) on $6.962M*4yrs.= $5.222M *4yrs.

He has unreal skill and is a great skater.
He can be a center. At 50% or better on faceoffs the last 3 years.
He's under $7M a year.
4 years left. Takes him 28.

Last year he went 22-20-42 at even strength.
His 5 on 5 scoring was 2.32 points/60.
In Detroit you're probably bumping him up to 20 minutes a night.

Instantly gives us a real second line and gives Zadina elite skill to work with.
Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Fabbri-Nylander-Zadina

I don't know what he'd cost, but honestly, he's a f***ing bargain at $7M until he's 28,
Those are his prime years. I'll never understand why people thought this was a bad deal.

The bad deal was Tavares when you already had Matthews, Marner and Nylander.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad