SportsCentre Special: Top 10 Canadian World Junior Moments

Lexus

OWN THE MOMENT.
Jan 29, 2009
HWC just posted this, so im just passing it along, that countdown was great imo, even though im not from Canada.

[PART 1 OUT OF 2]

[PART 2 OUT OF 2]

Gotta love the passion the Canadians bring to the WJHC. :handclap:

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
surprised the punch-up was only #9. One of the most iconic moments in WJC history. Probably the catalyst for the growth of this tournament in canada.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Great stuff.

But the game Toews scored all those shootout goals against the US TSN omitted how great Price's performance was in OT during a penalty kill. Both goalies were rather poor in the shootout but that PK helped keep the team in it.

Also weird to see such a negative moment at #3. What a disappointing night that was.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
surprised the punch-up was only #9. One of the most iconic moments in WJC history. Probably the catalyst for the growth of this tournament in canada.
Definitely not the catalyst. It was more of a black eye for the event, though it's funny to look back at it now. I recently saw a rebroadcast of the entire game featuring the Piestany punch-up. I can tell you that the brawl didn't just materialize out of thin air. It was the most cringe-worthy display I have ever seen in hockey, with some sort of hook/hold/elbow/slash/spear occuring every 5 seconds it seemed. The refs had no control from the opening drop of the puck. It was war on ice.

madvie

female habs fan
Jul 14, 2006
Montrealer in TO
Great stuff.

But the game Toews scored all those shootout goals against the US TSN omitted how great Price's performance was in OT during a penalty kill. Both goalies were rather poor in the shootout but that PK helped keep the team in it.

Also weird to see such a negative moment at #3. What a disappointing night that was.
Oh man, I remember having to go somewhere just as OT started. Listening to all of that over the radio made it even more nerve-wracking.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
If it was Tavares or Stamkos or Giroux or even Turris who scored the golden goal in 08, even in the exact same manner, that moment would be higher on TSN's list.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
For a 30 minute special that wasn't advertised, this was a really well done program. I'm impressed with all the all the interviews they did with the players. I wonder why they didn't interview guys like Holzapfel or Mattias though.

I think Tavares' 2nd goal against USA should have been higher. That goal (and the bad blood that followed) was a complete game changer and the main reason why Canada finally woke up in that game and won.

Classified

Mar 30, 2009
Nova Scotia
One of my favorite moments was in 2002 when Scottie Upshall (I think) scored in the gold medal game and lost his stick over the glass when he celebrated, too bad they lost that game to the Russians, one of the most intense finishes I can remember without Canada winning.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
One of my favorite moments was in 2002 when Scottie Upshall (I think) scored in the gold medal game and lost his stick over the glass when he celebrated, too bad they lost that game to the Russians, one of the most intense finishes I can remember without Canada winning.

I was gutted. Canada had that game in the bag and it all slipped away.

Analyzer*

IMO, the disappointed of silver should be 9th and the punch up 3rd.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I makes sense to have Eberle's game tying goal against the Russians on there because they won the game and the gold in the next one.

But it's interesting that that wasn't even Eberle at his most clutch in that tournament. He scored 2 goals in the final 3 minutes of the game last year to tie it 5-5 against the USA and take the game into OT. The American's won, so I guess not having it on the list makes sense (from a Canadian perspective). But 2 goals with 3 minutes left in the gold medal game > 1 goal with 5 seconds left in semi-final.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad