Sports tape

member 30781

Is it different than regular stick tape?

I hear if you wrap it around butt end of the stick you get a better feel and it does leave marks or wear down your gloves.

SouthpawTRK

Sep 18, 2009
Northern California
Are you talking about the tape that NHL'ers use on the handle of their sticks? A lot of the pros use cohesive gauze tape on the handle, which comes in different colors. It's got a little stretch to it (it's not the foam grip tape that you might see on the web), but adds (imo) better grip on the handle and hasn't stained my glove. I'm not sure if it would not wear a spot on your glove. I guess it could feel better, since it seems to add some added grip (once again in my opinion).

Last edited:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Powerflex tape is the thick textured gauze that sticks to itself and comes in a lot of colors. It tends to be a lot grippier than regular tape, which can reduce friction in the top hand and help gloves for some people.

There's also tennis gauze, which is the light blue tape. It's also grippy, just not as thick and textured.

And you have Tacki Mac grips which are rubber and grippy and have no wear on the palms and last a long time.

member 30781

Powerflex tape is the thick textured gauze that sticks to itself and comes in a lot of colors. It tends to be a lot grippier than regular tape, which can reduce friction in the top hand and help gloves for some people.

There's also tennis gauze, which is the light blue tape. It's also grippy, just not as thick and textured.

And you have Tacki Mac grips which are rubber and grippy and have no wear on the palms and last a long time.

I think I was thinking of Powerflex tape. If that is the one that sticks to itself then Im pretty sure that is it.

But as the poster above you mentioned, I was also intrigued by the tape that NHL players use on the handle that covers the base layer of tape. Any insight to that?

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
The ones NHL'ers use is called SportsTape Gauze Grip Tape. I use it and LOVE it. The colored tapes may leave a bit of color on your gloves but the white doesn't. Also, there's pretty much no wear on my gloves.

It's not sticky at all but very tacky (only sticks to itself) so you get awesome grip without the added thickness of something like a Tacki-Mac grip.

It's usually sold to pro teams and shops only but you can buy some here: http://shop.ebay.com/stickfixtexass...&_odkw=&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3911.c0.m270.l1313

The Andover PowerFlex tape looks to be a similar product. Haven't used it though.

Edit: Here's a picture of the red SportsTape Gauze. [Link] It left a hint of red on my old gloves so I started using white after that with my new gloves.

Last edited:

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
I thought the old rule was white hockey tape on the butt-end, black hockey tape on the blade. That way your glove doesn't get all of that black gunk on it.

member 30781

I thought the old rule was white hockey tape on the butt-end, black hockey tape on the blade. That way your glove doesn't get all of that black gunk on it.

The sports gauze tape is used to cover the white tape (unless I am completely mistaken and you can use it as regular tape). Even if its colored you usually will not get any color on your gloves. The way its designed it will not do that.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
The sports gauze tape is used to cover the white tape (unless I am completely mistaken and you can use it as regular tape). Even if its colored you usually will not get any color on your gloves. The way its designed it will not do that.

Many players don't use cloth tape under gauze, Samsonov for example. I use cloth tape for the knob, then just gauze tape for the handle. If the stick is a thinner stick I will use cloth as a base to build up the thickness to my liking.

StrykerB

Jan 3, 2008
Sportstape seems to be the brand that alot NHL and AHL teams use more than other brands. The players are using both the gauze as well as the cohesive stretch tape that they offer. With more and more players using custom Tacki-Mac and custom Oggie Grips mixed in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad