Sports Feats that will probably never be duplicated

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Something off topic that may interest sports fans of all walks. What sports accomplishment amazes you even today when you see the play or stats.

Mine amazing sports feat belongs to Stan 'The Man" Musial. I'm old enough to barely remember Stan playing for the St. Louis Cardinals, and he accomplished something that I don't believe will ever be matched by any other player, probably in any sport you want to try to compare it to.

Stan played 22 years and had 3,630 hits but what is amazing is he had 1,815 hits at home, and 1,815 hits on the road.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Something off topic that may interest sports fans of all walks. What sports accomplishment amazes you even today when you see the play or stats.

Mine amazing sports feat belongs to Stan 'The Man" Musial. I'm old enough to barely remember Stan playing for the St. Louis Cardinals, and he accomplished something that I don't believe will ever be matched by any other player, probably in any sport you want to try to compare it to.

Stan played 22 years and had 3,630 hits but what is amazing is he had 1,815 hits at home, and 1,815 hits on the road.

I mean I’m sure there are players that have 2 career hits one at home and one on the road, no? You’d have to define the parameters of what it means to match that feat.

Reactions: mikeyfan

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Cal Ripken's Streak would be mine.. Course I'm an Old O's fan though not as old as some of you fella's here.. :)

83 World series is about the earliest I can remember.. (9 yr old) Same with the wolfpack and the No longer skinned potato's.. (Or peanuts) Foosball team..

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
I mean I’m sure there are players that have 2 career hits one at home and one on the road, no? You’d have to define the parameters of what it means to match that feat.
If you need a parameter, I would say any player with over 1,000 hits in the Major leagues. or a career of 10 or more years as a starter, other than a pitcher.

I remember watching this. one on TV

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Cal Ripken's Streak would be mine.. Course I'm an Old O's fan though not as old as some of you fella's here.. :)

83 World series is about the earliest I can remember.. (9 yr old) Same with the wolfpack and the No longer skinned potato's.. (Or peanuts) Foosball team..
Cal's streak and Glen Halls streak for most consecutive games played by a goalie.

Reactions: mikeyfan and DaveG

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
If you need a parameter, I would say any player with over 1,000 hits in the Major leagues. or a career of 10 or more years as a starter, other than a pitcher.

I remember watching this. one on TV

I couldn't see that on TV even If I had wanted too.

Reactions: mikeyfan

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Jean Beliveau won the Cup 17 times, 10 of which were as a player. Of course, the league was very different when there were only six teams. But that's true of most unbeatable records - circumstances have changed in such a way that no modern player can touch them. I have to think his numbers will stand over time, partly because of that.

Cy Young is a great example because he played in a time of three- and four-man rotations, and relief pitchers were rarely used. He averaged 40+ starts until the tail end of his career and finished 91% of them. Today's starting pitchers play 30-35 and only throw the whole game about 2% of the time, so they get stuck with a few no-decisions along the way. Nobody is in reach of Cy Young's number because the game just isn't played the same way anymore. He was incredibly durable and talented, but he also played in an era where he could simply get out there more than they are now. It is partly for that reason that he also owns the record for most MLB losses, and while it's possible that number could eventually fall, it's only slightly more reachable.

Last edited:

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Favre’s iron man streak will never be equaled.

He doesn’t have the record yet and it’s not guarantee he gets it but if/when Ovi passes Gretzky I don’t think he will be topped for 50+ years if ever.

Wilt’s 50 plus point per game season will never be equaled either.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Favre’s iron man streak will never be equaled.
Speaking of Favre,

Favre is 4th in the NFL in career touchdown passes. The player who succeeded him is currently 5th. Having 2QBs back to back being that elite doesn’t happen often.

On the flip side, Favre has thrown more interceptions than any other QB in history. The player that succeeded him isn’t even in the top 100.

Last edited:

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
When Bob Beamon set a world record in the long jump at the 1968 Olympics he bested the old record by 21 2/3 inches (that's almost 2 feet for those unfamiliar with the metric system :sarcasm:). That margin of improvement will never be matched. His record held up for close to 23 years and has only been bettered once (by 2 inches) in the 54 years since he did it.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
In the Lake Placid Winter Olympics in 1980 Juha Mieto of Finland famously lost the 15 km cross-country skiing to the gold medalist Thomas Wassberg of Sweden by 0.01 seconds.

The time-keeping was done by hand clocks, so obviously the method was in no way up to correctly record the differences of the hundred-parts of seconds, and after the games the IOC stopped using them for the longer distance contests. Still today, only tenths of a second are used.

Unless the IOC again starts using hundred-parts of seconds for time-keeping, it's not a feat easily to be repeated.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Eh, Sam Gagner of all people had 8 in a game. I wouldn’t put it past McDavid.

Bobby Orr, +128. Good f***ing luck duplicating that one.
I don't think Sittler is in danger. How often does a team get 10 or more goals. Once every couple of seasons or so? Then someone on that opportunity is going to contribute to all the points? In this days' NHL? No, not going to happen.

I agree with Orr, though, that won't happen either.

Reactions: DaveG and mikeyfan

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I don't think Sittler is in danger. How often does a team get 10 or more goals. Once every couple of seasons or so? Then someone on that opportunity is going to contribute to all the points? In this days' NHL? No, not going to happen.

I agree with Orr, though, that won't happen either.
I think it’s really really unlikely, but possible. Pretty much any single game record in the NHL is within the realm of possibility except penalty minutes. Add to that, whatever the PIM records are, none of those are ever going anywhere.

Reactions: DaveG and mikeyfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad