Sports drink company BioSteel filing for creditor protection in U.S. and Canada - CBC

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
This is one of the times where I wish the NHL went with the easy choice instead of (and I’ll try to word this properly -) a newer ‘progressive’ company

I sometimes feel like the NHL, especially when it comes to sponsorships and marketing, always has to shoot themselves several times in the foot.

Why not a Gatorade sponsorship? Powerade? They have the backing of a billion dollar company without the (knowing) risk of a situation like this
Because of neither a of the companies wanted to pay the nhl they type of money it’s wants . The nhl is pretty low on the totum pole and there stars aren’t/ don’t market themeselves so you talking about a small audience.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Those deals mainly existed before Canopy Growth bought BioSteel.

Canopy's problems weren't anything new and were reported on even before the purchase. They completely misunderstood the demand for legal pot. They bought BioSteel to diversify but they overspent again. All the while having to shed assets to lighten its debt load
Seems like Canopy pulled some bs and Biosteel paid the price but could still live with a new ownership.

Reactions: DaveG

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Felt like it tasted far better than the insanely sweet and gross Gatorade and Powerade, personally.

The sweetener combination in Biosteel is pretty strange to me (and I'm in the "like it" category).

The first time I had it, it tasted sweeter than any sports drink I ever had. Then after a few more sips, I had seemingly adjusted.

Meanwhile, unless I'm actively running around, I struggle to drink very much Gatorade because I start to feel gross due to the sweetness. I can never really get used to it.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
To me it has that overly compensated artificial flavour, all 3 are fairly bad
They're not as fake and artificial nor as disgustingly sweet as Powerade and Gatorade imo. I also take the self mix packs on travel trips and enjoy the other flavors.

I hope it can be saved. Otherwise time to stockpile the packs on amazon.

The sweetener combination in Biosteel is pretty strange to me (and I'm in the "like it" category).

The first time I had it, it tasted sweeter than any sports drink I ever had. Then after a few more sips, I had seemingly adjusted.

Meanwhile, unless I'm actively running around, I struggle to drink very much Gatorade because I start to feel gross due to the sweetness. I can never really get used to it.

Yeah first sip is odd but it tastes fine after. I use the packets that I mix myself and I can adjust how to dilute it. I feel like the cartons need a little extra water whereas Gator and Powerade need to just be dumped down the sink.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
> drink maker declares bankruptcy because of issues that were compounded and driven mainly by their parent company being venture capitalist goons

time to grind the axe against the NHL for their choices, I am very smart
Its upto NHL to vet potential partners to ensure they are reliable/stable before going into a contract with them.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Salt and sugar are exactly what an athlete needs while active. Salt is lost through sweat and muscles need a load of sugar and potassium to keep going

There is sodium and potassium in BioSteel. It’s just made with natural flavours and stevia, as opposed to artificial flavours and sugar. I actually drink it more than Gatorade.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I’m not saying it’s the NHL’s fault. I’m just saying that this would only happen to the NHL.
What about individual teams in racing and the NBA along with MLB who had sponsorship deals with FTX?

What about MLB who had a major new stadium with naming rights sold to Enron?

And then there are these bankruptcies that have affected teams and other entities in various leagues:

https://www.sportspromedia.com/sponsorship-marketing/sponsorship/voyager-digital-and bankruptcy-cryptocurrency-nwsl-sponsorship/?zephr_sso_ott=uD2C6A

And then there's the various NHL, NBA, and MLB teams affected by the Diamond Sports Group (Bally Sports).

So, what's with the "this could only happen to the NHL" crap?

*** NOTE: These examples are the result of about 10 minutes of thought and web searching. I wouldn't be surprised if more research didn't turn up more examples affecting teams and leagues in various sports.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
What about individual teams in racing and the NBA along with MLB who had sponsorship deals with FTX?

And then there are these bankruptcies that have affected teams and other entities in various leagues:

https://www.sportspromedia.com/sponsorship-marketing/sponsorship/voyager-digital-and bankruptcy-cryptocurrency-nwsl-sponsorship/?zephr_sso_ott=uD2C6A

And then there's the various NHL, NBA, and MLB teams affected by the Diamond Sports Group (Bally Sports).

*** NOTE: These examples are the result of about 10 minutes of thought and web searching. I wouldn't be surprised if more research didn't turn up more examples affecting teams and leagues in various sports.
I sgree with ftx thing. It was absolutely Hilary’s people trying to walk back on tjat

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

A. It’s a joke.
B. This can’t happen to the other big 3 leagues because they’re partnered with Gatorade and not some company I hadn’t heard of until the announcement was made.

Everyone has misses. The NHL’s seem self inflicted.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Sad, because I really preferred it to the zero carb options of Gatorade and Powerade. At least, some flavors -- Cherry Lime and Peach were absolutely awful and went right in the sink.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad