WJC: Sporting News: How did Canada Lose?

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
It’s certainly weak but there isn’t a lot of alternative evidence in a competitive environment.

I’m fine with annointing the winner of major championships as the world’s best until the next iteration of that tournament.

I dislike using alternative metrics like numbers of drafted players or on-paper comparisons.

This is the best metric I can think of: if you made those teams play each other right now and you had to bet on the winner at even odds, who would you bet on? In a match-up between these Canadian and Finnish teams my money would certainly be on Canada, especially if the game is on Canadian soil. I doubt you'd choose Finland either.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This is the best metric I can think of: if you made those teams play each other right now and you had to bet on the winner at even odds, who would you bet on? In a match-up between these Canadian and Finnish teams my money would certainly be on Canada. I doubt you'd choose Finland either.

Really?

This was the least confidence I had in a Team Canada in quite some time and my post history will confirm that.

I would have bet on Finland. They beat us soundly in exhibition and aside from the Denmark shellacking I found the team to be pretty pedestrian.

It’s not as if they improved dramatically when the tournament stated.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
This was a marginal overall performance by Canada and one of their worst WJC's of all time, so pointing to the Finland loss is too easy. Their shot generation was way down from a year ago, as it was in the CHL-Russia series, which was the CHL's lowest GF total in tournament history. In fact, they averaged less than 30 shots a game over the final four matches for their lowest total in six years. Canada generated a full seven less shots on goal compared to last year's team. That's a huge drop.

The good news for Hockey Canada is the outstanding 2001 year group (to include goalies), plus the addition of Lafreniere, Barron and Byfield should give them a solid two-year run beginning either next year or the year after.
It was a bit of a down year across the board. While things look up for Canada's strength I think that's true for at the US as well.

I don't know the younger talent in Europe as well but there are some highly touted players on the horizon for Finland (and Kaako, Lundell we know) and Sweden. I think things will stay unpredictable.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
I don’t gamble.

That always seems to be the case with people who have views that differ so greatly from the views of the betting market. If you think Finland's chances of eliminating Canada are over 50 percent but you aren't willing to put your money where your mouth is even though you'd quadruple your money if Finland wins, I see no reason to take your prediction seriously or to even think that you actually believe in it yourself. It's more likely just an emotional reaction to being disappointed with the round robin performance of the team you want to win.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That always seems to be the case with people who have views that differ so greatly from the views of the betting market. If you think Finland's chances of eliminating Canada are over 50 percent but you aren't willing to put your money where your mouth is even though you'd quadruple your money if Finland wins, I see no reason to take your prediction seriously or to even think that you actually believe in it yourself. It's more likely just an emotional reaction to being disappointed with the team you want to win.

You think whatever you want.

I don’t find sports more entertaining when wagering money on them.

My wife would corroborate my opinion but it seems to me as if you’ve got some agenda that I’m somehow interfering with and you wouldn’t take her word for it anyway.

I wasn’t even aware of the betting odds because again, I don’t gamble.

My comments on the strength of the team occurred before the round robin during camp if you care to go back that far.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Nah. It's the development system the last few years which is the real culprit. Most families can't afford to spend tens of thousands per year on private hockey schools, playing 100+ games and tournaments, and all that extra stuff that HC uses to separate the haves and have nots. There's a ton of talent out there, but if they aren't on Hockey Canada's profit-driven 'elites' system, they have little chance to prove themselves.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
U-18 WC Finals:
2015: USA over Finland
2016: Finland over Sweden (USA 3rd)
2017: USA over Finland
2018: Finland over USA

The current core of Canadian players just aren't up to their usual standards. Nothing more there. It'll get better soon.

This.

How can you expect being best without basis, I have no idea

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
As much as I hate how the WJC is over-publicized and a ratings-first competition, it is the best measuring stick for a year group.

U17 HC — Everyone sends their best but Canada teams split by region

Hlinka — Everyone sends its best U18s except USA

U18 WC — Everyone sends its best U18s except Canada

U18 Five Nations — Everyone usually sends their best U18s. Canada doesnt play.

WJC - Everyone sends their best.

The CHL and Hockey Canada are leaking money. Attendance and participation are way down. That’s why they moved the Hlinka and the WJC is in Canada all the time — the TSN money helps stem the tide.

You think it’s a coincidence every major 2019 prospect event is in Western Canada??? Hlinka, WJAC, WJC, CJHL TPG, CHL TPG and the NHL Draft. Only the Memorial Cup and U18 WC arent.

Plus the CHL is pushing hard to get the draft age moved up to 19. This will be the fourth straight draft a Canadian-born kid isn’t 1st overall.

Sadly, I think all this greed is putting way too much pressure on the kids.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
One thing that should never be done by fans is count Canada out, it's been done many times before and those people have ALWAYS lost money each and every single time.

It happened when they went on a bad run of failure to win gold at the W.J.C after their first big run of consecutive golds , it happened after the U.S won the World cup in 96, it happened after Nagano, it happened after Turin,it happened during the summit series..................it's happened quite a few times.

Fans from other countries love to announce the end of Canadian hockey as soon as they think it's a good time to do so, but Canada has always proved them wrong.

If fans from teams of other countries should know one thing about international hockey and one thing only is that it is not a wise decision to think Canada is down for the count in Hockey, and especially not based on a certain rather small time frame in a junior tournament.

Fans who did this in the past and do this now do so at their own peril sabresharks.

Counting chickens before they are hatched with Canada in hockey has historically been proven not to be the most wise thing to do.
As a fellow Canadian, I would never doubt the ability of a Canadian team to prevail in a best-on-best tournament.

As an American resident for many years, I'm saying that continuous years of doing so is much less likely to happen than in past years.

The rest of the world is catching up. That WILL continue.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
As a fellow Canadian, I would never doubt the ability of a Canadian team to prevail in a best-on-best tournament.

As an American resident for many years, I'm saying that continuous years of doing so is much less likely to happen than in past years.

The rest of the world is catching up. That WILL continue.
It may be more likely but my point is that the "world is catching up" line has been said many times and it's always ended up With Canada confirming it's top spot each time.

Just food for thought for fans of other teams before making any pronouncements as guarantees,
it's been done before several times, the question is whether it ended up being true.

In each case they were proven wrong. Something to think about.

Last edited:

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
This is all about development development development and more development!!!!!!! The U.S. and Canada have close to ONE MILLION registered youth hockey players compared to what 250k for the rest of the ENTIRE WORLD. Let that sink in for a moment. Now I am happy that the U.S. has made great great strides over the past 25 years in international play but let's be honest, this tournament should be all U.S. vs Canada every frigging year with the odd hiccup along the way. The fact that Finland and Sweden are on par with producing elite level talent with the U.S. and Canada shows a entirely inefficient if not outright broken model of development in North America. Both USA Hockey and Hockey Canada need to both look in the mirror AND look toward the European developmental system in order to make the overall game of hockey better by fully developing and utilizing the large number of youth hockey players at their disposal.
The USA is doing quite well in hockey. You can't be from America if you truly believe development of talent is a weakness in NA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad