WJC: Sporting News: How did Canada Lose?

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Reactions: BeSeeingYouSeattle

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
They need to stop over hyping a teens hockey tourney like it is do or die. The country should not be putting so much pressure on these kids. I can say this as I have watched it since 1982. I have seen it grow and get out of hand. I am more interested in seeing prospects I have no chance of seeing on TV. Rather enjoy the Spengler cup, just hockey being hockey. A couple weeks from now who will care that much other than the kids, I do not. Face it it is a global game now and most have caught up.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
It happens ,can be too upset about it Canada has won this tourney lots...Its better for the tourney if more countries ice competitive rosters anyhow

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I believe Hunter's old school mentality of holding a lead really hurt Canada. They sat back, chipped pucks and played "Good old fashion Defense" of sitting on their heels and blocking lanes. When the opposition is pressing you have to take advantage of mistakes having the defensmen jump in the rush to make odd man rushes. Forwards were terrible all tournament of covering when the defense pinched so who knows if that works.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Canada's medal-less postmortem: What went wrong at the 2019 World Juniors?

The other teams scored more goals in Canada's two losses. That's the easy answer.

But there was more to it. I was surprised how several critical points were overlooked, both during the broadcasts and by the print/digital media covering the event.

I try to explain why one of Canada's worst-ever WJC showings was something in the works for several years.
This got me expecting some real insight. I know better now. Not that the article is wrong, but all these things were known and have been discussed plenty.

I'll save other people the time:
-Not the most talented year for Canadian players
-Bad PP
-Bad luck

Not sure which of these you are pretending was overlooked.

Must be a tough call deciding to use click bait or not. You might get more views now, but you're gonna lose them later.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
This chunk was worthwhile:
Although Canada’s heavy, relentless forecheck was present from the onset, the support from its normally quick-thinking defenders ready to step up in the neutral zone to spark the transition to offense wasn’t there. This resulted in a bigger neutral zone for the enemy to navigate through, and making matters worse was Canada’s inability to win puck battles or outrace opponents to loose pucks.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
How about they didn't play very well. Too passive, tried to be too fancy instead of playing power hockey. Take the puck to the net and stop standing around.

Canadian teams and players are always hard on the puck. Thought we finished last in that regard.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
They need to stop over hyping a teens hockey tourney like it is do or die. The country should not be putting so much pressure on these kids. I can say this as I have watched it since 1982. I have seen it grow and get out of hand. I am more interested in seeing prospects I have no chance of seeing on TV. Rather enjoy the Spengler cup, just hockey being hockey. A couple weeks from now who will care that much other than the kids, I do not. Face it it is a global game now and most have caught up.
Agreed. We need to grow up and not get so butt -hurt when it doesn't go our way. It's a great event regardless of who wins.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Nothing went wrong, Canada just lost to better teams.
Or just lost. A better team wouldn't have been in a position to lose on bounces, a luckier team would be in the final. People like to make it black and white, but it is rarely that.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Or just lost. A better team wouldn't have been in a position to lose on bounces, a luckier team would be in the final. People like to make it black and white, but it is rarely that.

Including exhibition, Canada was 0-2 vs Finland.

I respect Canadian hockey, but I also find it nauseating that, every time there’s a loss, the discussion immediately turns to ‘what we didnt do’ as opposed to perhaps giving props to the opponent and admitting you just lost to a better team.

blindpass

May 7, 2010

I respect Canadian hockey, but I also find it nauseating that, every time there’s a loss, the discussion immediately turns to ‘what we didnt do’ as opposed to perhaps giving props to the opponent and admitting you just lost to a better team.
Who cares about exhibition? I give props to Finland and all the other teams. I'm just putting it in perspective. I'm not saying Canada was the best team, but let's not kids ourselves, the best team doesn't always win.

Reactions: AreBe and Lepardi

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst

So what exactly happened? The easy answer is that Canada was in fact outplayed by a talented Finland squad. Or simply put — the better team won. But those statements, as factual as they may be, don’t go over well with ardent Canadian fans and critics, who have been led to believe that anything short of WJC gold is an abject failure, and preparing for and executing the postmortem blame game is equally as important as the tournament itself.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Did you just quote youself?

Say what you like, the fact is it was a pretty even game. That's a factual fact. I don't expect objectivity from Americans when it comes to hockey.

Nakedly saying twice that it's a fact in three sentences is some fine writing though.

Last edited:

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014

I think that this time around it's even worse when there's no way to cover under the excuse of not having the best players from the NHL on the national team when Finland could arguably dress even better players from the NHL with Heiskanen and Kotkaniemi than who team Canada would have at their disposal.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Who cares about exhibition?

If you cant beat a team in both exhibition and tournament play, you should just admit you were bested by a better team.

Canadian hockey is #1. As such, you should be proud, but not arrogant.
It seems like whenever Canada loses you people refuse to give props to the opponent as being better rhan you. The rehash is always ‘we could have won, but.....”

Reactions: behemolari and Rob

mackinnon29

Nov 24, 2017
How about getting a decent coaching staff? Hunter should have manned up and took most of the criticism considering he created most of it. Was this the most talented team Canada? No but they should be playing for a medal with that roster. Not changing up lines that are struggling or can’t find some sort of chemistry is on him. Going 0-16 on the pp like when was the last time Canada had a power play that went that cold? It’s not on Comtois when you have Tippett, glass and frost on the bench for that penalty shot. The guy wouldn’t even answer questions on this or to a very limited way. He talked about accountably, called out certain players and he didn’t hold himself to that same accountability. Certainly not a guy who I’d want to develop young players. Canada is still the best at hockey we just need to get rid of these dinosaurs hockey Canada thinks are good or still relevant, style of hockey has changed we just need a coach who’s willing to change with it.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Canada lost because Finlnd had a very good team and they were beaten fairly in a single elimination game

these things happen

Reactions: AreBe

wickedwitch

Mar 21, 2010
so if they scored on that penalty shot in OT, would they have won?

(the answer is "yes")
They would have won the game, but I still don't think they would have won the tournament.

And as always, I am grateful to the 2013 US team for forever making the "our best players are in the NHL; otherwise, we would have obviously won" invalid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad